Author Topic: To sleep, perchance...  (Read 1244 times)

sam

To sleep, perchance...
« on: 28 July, 2023, 10:45:07 am »
more than three hours at a time. Seriously, that's about my limit. And that would be my long sleep of the day. More often it's 90 minutes here, an hour there… I've never tallied it, but it's 8ish hours in a 24hr period. Possibly.

I wasn't always like this. I slowly changed over to this the last five years or so.

I'm not actually complaining. I like it this way. That's not to say it's necessarily healthy…

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: To sleep, perchance...
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2023, 06:17:01 pm »
I've got to the point that I don't actually like going to bed. Well, I think that's been a lifelong thing to be honest, as I'm the youngest of a large family and when I was small and was sent to bed first, I always thought it was really unfair. I've probably had a fairly unhealthy attitude towards sleep all my life.

In recent years, there have been better reasons for not wanting to go to bed. Aches and pains are worse at night. I usually get to sleep pretty well, but invariably, bowel or bladder o'clock (sometimes both) will come round and off I go. Quite often, once this has happened, I find it very difficult to get to sleep again. It's not at all uncommon for me to fall asleep in any chair I happen to be sitting on. So far, I've never actually fallen off one, as I've woken up in time to save myself, but that might not always be the case.

Sometimes I have very vivid dreams, but I often forget them once I've been awake for a while. A few nights ago I had one in which I was cycling with Tim Oddy, and there was some sort of event which required our combined effort to overcome but I've completely forgotten what it was. It was that vivid that I told Jan about it when I woke up, but neither of us can remember what it was now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: To sleep, perchance...
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2023, 07:18:03 pm »
I've always woken up early but know I've regularly had a sleep deficit.  All those night rides wouldn't have helped!  So in the last year or so, I've made a conscious effort to get more sleep. So now generally in bed by 9:30 and up around 6:30.  I definitely feel better for it.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein