Author Topic: Saddles and the ongoing saga of a traumatised bottom  (Read 28735 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Saddles and the ongoing saga of a traumatised bottom
« Reply #125 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:23:30 pm »
Could I just say "callipygous" at this stage in the proceedings.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

annie

« Reply #126 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »

Just looked it up.  Are you saying that is what I need? :-*

« Reply #127 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:00:32 pm »
"callipygous"  :D

What a wonderfully educational forum this is!  I now know a new word!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #128 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:53:40 pm »

Just looked it up.  Are you saying that is what I need? :-*

How can you need what you already possess?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #130 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:58:27 am »
Ok, so I may just up the saddle a fraction to get used to the new position.  Alexb, I fitted a new stem a few weeks ago, 10mm shorter, the LBS said any shorter would affect the handling of the bike.  I also got an inline seat post, all of this came at a price of course, being Easton.

The pressure seems to have all but disappeared from my wrists and there wasn't any of that pushing back on the saddle nonsense.

Once I have been up to see the Bike Whisperer and had my bottom closely examined issue looked at then I hope things will improve even more.  My only worry is that the bike may still be too big.  It will be a sad day if I have to dispose of it :(

Annie,

You will find some handling changes by shortening the stem, but I'm currently riding a 90mm stem on one bike and it's OK. It's a lot different to the 145mm stem I started with!!!
Going from a laid back post to in-line certainly suggests that the bike shop thinks the bike top tube is too long, they're pushing your extremities together by the sound of it.
Most of the frame designers of long-distance bikes tend towards shallower seat angles now, so 72 deg or so. This is reckoned to take weight off the upper body and arms/wrists and reduce the tendancy to neck/shoulder problems that many long-distance cyclists experience. Pushing the front end of the bike up with higher stems, taller head tubes is also a trend you see more and more.

I'd suggest saddle angle/height is the easiest thing for you to play with right now, also adding padding and using cream is an easy route to experiment with.

« Reply #131 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:28:01 am »
Going from a laid back post to in-line certainly suggests that the bike shop thinks the bike top tube is too long, they're pushing your extremities together by the sound of it.

How about going back to the laid back post, but putting it in back to front so it flares forwards and puts the saddle further forward?     It'll work different leg muscles though :o

annie

« Reply #132 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »
Tis over a month since I last confessed posted on this thread.  Some good news at last.  My sit bones seem to be wearing well, I don't know if I have gained some extra padding around that area or have increased muscle tone but after the ride on Saturday and today, both over 80 miles, I don't have any swellings, a tiny amount on the left side but negligible really.  I think things may be improving :)

On the downside, I have a couple of spots :-\ that look similar to those I had last year and one in particular appears to be where I had the other thingie surgically removed.  I can't be 100% without taking a closer look and I don't want to be standing in front of a mirror trying to do this so will see what happens.

So all the adjustments appear to have helped, the extra miles also seem to have paid off.

« Reply #133 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:34:22 pm »
I was just thinking about your bottom today, wondering if you'd solved these problems of course. Glad to hear you have :)

annie

« Reply #134 on: 25 June, 2008, 09:30:18 pm »
I was just thinking about your bottom today, wondering if you'd solved these problems of course. Glad to hear you have :)

You were :o  Things are feeling good from this end :) 

I like to use that word that Tim Hall brought to the forum 'Callypygous' (sp?)

« Reply #135 on: 26 June, 2008, 11:52:47 pm »
You got the spelling correct, the other variant being "callipygian".

As in, "Maria Sharapova looked positively callipygian in those shorts"  ;D :P :demon:

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #136 on: 26 June, 2008, 11:54:04 pm »

"Nurse, more Horlicks!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #137 on: 27 June, 2008, 12:06:42 am »

"Nurse, more Horlicks!"

Why do you need Horlicks? :-\  I must be missing something here, yes I am a little slow but please do explain what Horlicks has to do with my bottom?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #138 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:55:24 pm »
I would imagine it's for the sleep inducing properties, after you've been getting most of yACF all aroused, with thoughts of your shapely little bot.  :-*
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #139 on: 27 June, 2008, 07:42:25 pm »
Judging by the number of replies to this post your bottom is obviously a matter of great concern to the members of this forum.

Perhaps we should adopt it as a mascot ..   ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #140 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:02:54 pm »
Annie, on one of last year's ACF rides, just as you rode past, I overheard the following from two Chelsea Pensioners who were sitting on a park bench:-

"Do you remember when we were in war, what was that stuff they used to put into our tea?"

"The bromide?"

"Yes, that's it, bromide... well, I think it's beginning to wear off!"

« Reply #141 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:10:55 pm »
YACF - Young Annie's Callypygous Figure ?

annie

« Reply #142 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »
YACF - Young Annie's Callypygous Figure ?

::-) :-*

I am flattered.  My bottom has held up quite well after the events of this weekend.  However, after seeing pics of me in a bikini I think I need to emigrate.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #143 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:50:26 pm »
You could just lose the bikini... ;)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #144 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:51:10 pm »
looked pretty good to me !! Are you TT'ing in it..may influence the Marsalls  ;) ;)