Author Topic: Electric Pulse Abdominal Workers - i.e. Slendertone  (Read 6622 times)

Electric Pulse Abdominal Workers - i.e. Slendertone
« on: 24 June, 2008, 05:40:33 am »
Mrs G can't do sit ups.  She has quite a flat stomach from years of swimming but would like to try and keep it firmer.  She is considering buying a Slendertone type abdominal workout machine.  The sort that sends pulses to the stomach making the abdominals work without having to do sit ups ( I guess is the idea ).

Does anyone have any experience of this type of machine?

The blurb says you can get them for men and women - if she gets it - I will use it too so would I be better getting a male or female one ( probably just the size of the cuff ?? is different ).

My cynical mind is suggesting this is all advertising hype but with the advances in technology, perhaps nowadays these types of gadgets actually work?

ian

Re: Electric Pulse Abdominal Workers - i.e. Slendertone
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:46:10 am »
There's some evidence that electromyostimulation training can influence muscle strength and endurance, but no, it won't give anyone a six-pack. The only significant way of increase muscle bulk is to exercise against resistance. With electromyostimulation there no load.

It also burns few calories. So, sadly, you still can't sit in front the TV eating pies and still end up with the washboard abs. Life is unfair.

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:54:18 am »
She'll need to do some real workout, maybe with advice from a personal trainer?

Here's a serious abs workout, not that I'm suggesting anyone do this, LOL:
Bont Feature Article - Abs Like Juan
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
I have to put my hand up here and say I have tried one, once for a VERY brief time....

Made be feel sick, but then having your stomach muscle contract involuntarily would do that wouldn't it?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:21:37 pm »
I have one..........I think it's under the bed ;D

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:25:20 pm »
The best way to use it is as follows.

1) Put it on the floor infront of you.
2) Bend (at the knees) down and pick it up.
3) With straight arms, slowly lift it out infront of you (resistance is the key) and up above your head whilst standing up.
4) Hold for a couple of seconds and the reverse the procedure, nice and slowly until
5) you place it on the floor infront of you and stand up.

No need to plug it in, just repeat this 100 times a day.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:27:46 pm »
could she do crunches on a swiss ball?  even pressups would help..

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »
When I busted my back up a few yrs ago I bought a sports 'TENS' machine to try and keep my legs in shape. (It had pictures of track cyclists on the box and didn't look girly).

You stick lubricated pads on yourself and switch it on - and you can vary the pressure.

It was awesome. individual muscles could be isolated and made to contract at various speeds. From a gentle tensing to a mind-boggling seizure.

I used it for a few weeks and my quads swole marvellously. Then I tried it in my daughter but unfortunately damaged her calf muscle by too much power. Caused  a bit of trouble at home.

On full power it was an instrument of torture capable of tearing muscle fibre from the tendons.

My consultant said I seriously aggravated my back problem with it and banned it. 

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2008, 02:03:57 pm »
could she do crunches on a swiss ball?  even pressups would help..
Swiss balls are the answer.

Just use one as a chair. Sit on it. Roll around, rock back and forth. Just fidget! :)

Tones and strengthens wonderfully.

See this ebay advert, there is a table telling what size to buy for your height.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Pezzi-65cm-Exercise-Fitness-Gym-Swiss-Ball_W0QQitemZ360061916835QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360061916835&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »

See this ebay advert, there is a table telling what size to buy for your height.

My physio said the diameter of the ball isn't important, he had me using a 65cm one doing my pelvic exercises.

« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2008, 02:37:24 pm »
It matters if you are using one as a chair, but not at all for exercises.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
It matters if you are using one as a chair, but not at all for exercises.
I knew someone would say that. I don't use one as a chair, My exercises involve laying on my back with my feet on the ball, raising my pelvis. Holding the ball against the wall with my left hip, raising my left leg and dipping on my right leg

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:02:27 pm »
I have one of those, t'was recommended by my physio for the tens feature to use on me lower back, worked a treat when things were in agony. The muscle toning feature was crap though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:14:46 pm »
I have a Compex one, for the TENS capability to use on my back, which is great.  There's a whole raft of other stuff it's supposed to do, but I suspect that most of the exercise would be from twisting around to stick and unstick the electrodes.  I'm sure there are some people who need to exercise 1 muscle pair at a time...  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

annie

« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:36:41 pm »
I wouldn't touch one myself.  Get a stability ball.

I have done most of those exercises that are shown by Juan, some of them aren't suitable if you have a dodgy back though.  Many of the abs exercises I do are done with only minimal movement from the back so there are alternatives.

Can she hang from bars?  If she can she can do knee raises.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2008, 12:50:15 am »
"firm up a bit" could mean "lose belly fat" as much as "develop abdominals"

Most people who are active have decent abs.  Most of us hide them under belly upholstery.   :-\

Abdominal exercises will not shift abdominal fat. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2008, 05:39:42 am »
Thanks all, you have confirmed what I thought as much.
She will not like the abdominal ball as we have no place to easily store it - so will not want it 'out' all the time.  I will look into getting one though.
I haven't looked at Juan yet, but will do.

Andy,
Exactly what I thought ( applies to me only ).  Last place to go too.  Father's figure.  She on the other hand has her father's physique and has no fat what so ever !!

« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:06:50 am »
I have done most of those exercises that are shown by Juan, some of them aren't suitable if you have a dodgy back though.

Absolutely true, I wasn't being serious when I posted that.  It's probably only suitable for someone who's a fairly serious athlete in the first place.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

annie

« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »
I have done most of those exercises that are shown by Juan, some of them aren't suitable if you have a dodgy back though.

Absolutely true, I wasn't being serious when I posted that.  It's probably only suitable for someone who's a fairly serious athlete in the first place.

;)

« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2008, 01:37:15 pm »
I'd say most of Juan's exercises would be a bad idea for anyone (like me) with known back problems: old-style sit-ups are bad.

Carefully controlled, well supported curls / crunches where the lower back is well supported and does not leave the ground are the way to go. If you do them slowly with proper technique they are hard work. Quality rather than quantity. No jerking, no using momentum, and the shoulders do not need to be lifted far off the ground at all.

annie

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2008, 01:57:14 pm »
I'd say most of Juan's exercises would be a bad idea for anyone (like me) with known back problems: old-style sit-ups are bad.

Carefully controlled, well supported curls / crunches where the lower back is well supported and does not leave the ground are the way to go. If you do them slowly with proper technique they are hard work. Quality rather than quantity. No jerking, no using momentum, and the shoulders do not need to be lifted far off the ground at all.

Absolutely.  I only aim for 45 degrees or less if on the mat, the majority of mine are done on the ball and also using medicine balls.  The real killer for me are the knee raises, starting with your knees level with your hips, raising about 45 degrees and then lowering back to hip level and repeating.  I normally mutter a few choice words or grunts whilst doing these and can only manage 3 sets of 12.

A really effective one is to lie on the ground with both feet together and to let your knees flop to the outside and point both hands between your legs, tiny little movements are all that is needed to be able to feel the effects, the shoulders barely coming off the ground.

The plank and side planks are also really good core stability exercises and can be done with little effort.