Author Topic: The benefits of stopping smoking  (Read 5260 times)

CathH

Re: The benefits of stopping smoking
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2008, 12:51:22 pm »
How did you prepare for the change? How did you deal with those times when you normally would have a cigarette?
I didn't prepare as such because my decision to stop smoking was an impulse decision.  Whenever I felt the urge to go and smoke I would do something nice for myself instead.  These things included stuff like:

1.  Going and washing my hands with some expensive, divinely-perfumed liquid soap.  Sniff and enjoy hands that smell this way instead of reeking of stale tobacco.
2.  Going to get a coffee.  This was made special by the purchase of a lovely bone china mug with a turquoise cat on it.  Decaf coffee as well - don't want to replace one drug with another!  Put the hot mug of fresh coffee on a nice placemat again specially purchased.
3.  Write an email to a friend that I hadn't contacted for a while.  Nothing elaborate; just a "hello, how are you" type of thing.
4.  Have a stick of sugar-free gum.  Enjoy knowing that it's cleaning teeth and gums making them stronger and healthier instead of more stained and weakened.  Breathe in the fresh mint flavour.
5.  When at home, complete a tiny task in the garden and feel satisfied.  Something small like pulling that weed that you keep looking at, or cleaning and drying the blades on the secateurs. 

I could go on and on in this vein.  The rule is that it should be reasonably quick, positive or productive (preferably both) and NOT a chore.  Also try to avoid replacing one bad, harmful habit with another.

« Reply #26 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »
Thanks very much for all this, everyone. I do intend to put it into practise but I'd prefer not to say when.

I have the first edition of Richard Klein's 'Cigarettes are Sublime'. It is an extraordinary book, and I recommend it to anyone who smokes.

Interesting. Is this book likely to help me in this situation, or is there a danger that it will confirm or reinforce my positive feelings about smoking?

CathH

« Reply #27 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:53:50 am »
Cath, bloody hell, that about sums it up. There is a romantic notion, the sheer seduction of the cigarette.

You're not wrong.  I still don't really know quite how I managed to quit when I truly and honestly believed that the rest of my life would be total misery.

« Reply #28 on: 31 July, 2008, 12:37:43 pm »
I gave up about 5 years ago.  I was reasonably fit from running at the gym but wanted to run further and complete a marathon which I figured was impossible if I didn't stop smoking.

Although it was a really crap read, the Allen Carr book did explode the myth that cigarettes are really enjoyable.  Once I realised I was just feeding a craving it was easy.  I smoked 8 cigarettes while very slowly reading the last page of that book, destroyed the rest of the packet and never smoked (or wanted to smoke) again.  The cravings died down after a few days and as Cath says, there are other more enjoyable things you can do in your smoking time.

So, I've now run my marathon (Loch Ness 2005, though injury has prevented a further one) and taken up cycling.  I no longer smell of stale smoke and I can taste my food.  I no longer worry about dying earlier because of something completely within my control.  And its great not to feel like an automaton every couple of hours.   

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #29 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:30:56 pm »
I've quit and lapsed a couple of times - I've definitely replaced cigarettes with cycling, which costs me more than smoking did. I have certainly not saved money, I am spending more.

I sometimes pine for the smell/taste combo, and the relaxation and contentedness that a perfectly timed cigarette can have. Such as with a beer in one hand and a magnificent view in front of you etc.

I also didn't notice any taste/smell improvements, nor an appetite increase.

The biggest and best thing about being quit is the way exercise becomes so much more enjoyable - being fairly out of breath becomes pleasant and manageable instead of irritating and disheartening.

My key tip is not to try too hard. Why build it up to be something bigger than it really is? You are only quitting smoking, its not like you are trying to swim across the Atlantic unassisted. If you have the odd cheeky one, you will feel guilty, and they will be minging, but that will just help you quit. If you must have one, blag one - because buying a pack to smoke "just the one" isn't going to work!

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart