Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 641599 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1575 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:25:37 am »
That really is a beesknees trike/tandem :thumbsup:
so  8)

« Reply #1576 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:54:15 am »
Very small Thorn Triplet

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1577 on: 26 February, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »
Hi Alexb, it is a Hasebike Trets trailer trike, pop the front wheel off and connect it as a trailer to back axle.

That pic reminds me, I still haven't got round to making an improved mud-flap for barakta's ICE trike.  As she's slower than me, I usually ride behind, which means I get all the spray off the back wheel.

Shame there isn't an adult version of the Trets, actually.

« Reply #1578 on: 26 February, 2013, 03:48:36 pm »
Kim, there is an adult version of the Trets, that is if the Trets is too small when fully extended. The adult version is the Hasebike Kettwisel, if you look through this link, you will see that it can be attached directly to the rear of another Kett, or like the Trets you use a bar to attach it to the rear of an upright or tadpole trike.
Nigel

http://hasebikes.com/112-1-Gallery.html?galerie=Kettwiesel-Galerie

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1579 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:05:40 pm »
We fancy, in our more extravagant moments, a pair of Kettwiesels.
Getting there...

« Reply #1580 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:09:12 pm »
I suspect that that towing arm is precisely that and will not be as effective if the stronger rider is to the rear (and pushing) however with the pair of Ketts then the driving load at least arrives on the central axis of the bike.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1581 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »
That's the way I see it.  I admit I raised an eyebrow seeing the photo of the bloke (usually the stronger rider, though not necessarily in that case, given Hase's popularity among those with disabilities) on the Kett behind.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1582 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:36:11 pm »
Kim, there is an adult version of the Trets, that is if the Trets is too small when fully extended. The adult version is the Hasebike Kettwisel, if you look through this link, you will see that it can be attached directly to the rear of another Kett, or like the Trets you use a bar to attach it to the rear of an upright or tadpole trike.

Ah, interesting:

Quote from: http://www.rad-innovations.com/index.php/hasebike/kettwiesel#tow-bar-follow-me
Tow Bar: Follow me!
Lame name, fine piece of equipment: with the Tow Bar, even standard bikes can be used as towing vehicles for the KETTWIESEL - with a safety bonus: the integrated overrun brake works automatically. When the towing bike brakes, the KETTWIESEL brakes.

I'm familiar with the Kettwiesel, and the concept of daisy-chaining delta trikes, but didn't realise this sort of thing was an option.

Unfortunately, due to shortsigntedness in the cycling domain, we bought barakta an ICE Sprint, because that worked best for her disability adaptations[1], and seemed easier to transport.  We've since discovered that achieving a reasonable level of cycling fitness is actually a greater obstacle than constructing a controllable machine that doesn't damage her shoulders, not helped by the general disincentive that is Birmingham traffic and the bastard hill at King's Norton between here and the good cycling lanes.

Hmm...

[1] Lengthy thread here if you're interested: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45696.0 (gets interesting on page 12 or so).

« Reply #1583 on: 26 February, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
Hi Kim, I have read through your other post as linked. I was helped with attaining a reasonable level of leg fitness by fitting a Heinzmann hub motor. Over the years I have used it my reliance on it has reduced dramatically. The downside is the added weight when lifting the trike, or when removing the wheel to change tyres. The motor is very powerful and it copes with hills really well, range is not a problem as it is only used for commuting, but for longer distances batteries add weight and take up space. The motor is operated with a twist grip which is open to adaption and various mounting options. I did not see any reference to a motorised option in your thread, but would be happy to answer any questions if I can.
Nigel

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1584 on: 26 February, 2013, 07:43:49 pm »
Yeah, electric assist is something we've considered, though options are limited somewhat on a tadpole (which makes it expensive), and even used sparingly with regenerative braking current battery technology is distinctly marginal for decent distances.  It's probably a better option than tandems, though: I'm a competent cyclist, but not a particularly strong one.

If Golden Motor made a hub that could take a 9-speed freewheel, it would start to look a lot more attractive.  Batteries and controls are the easy bit.  But as it is, I think the sanest option is BionX, and that's a complete system that doesn't really come in cheap.

Thing is, barakta was doing quite well last summer, when she was actually getting out and riding.  Not fast, but within an order of magnitude of being able to do the average forum ride.  The problem comes down to spoons and motivation, and I'm not entirely sure that throwing electrons at it is a solution, as while it would certainly open up new route possibilities, it doesn't change the weather, the traffic, not having the time or the health to ride, etc, etc.  :-\

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1585 on: 05 March, 2013, 10:21:37 pm »
I saw a Reynolds 520  sticker on it, so nothing spectacular. Did I mention the colour?  Pink.

I think Reynolds 520 is cromoly. The 501 (also cromoly) frames they did were actually quite good if theey were the butted tubeset - same thickness and tensile strength as 531.

Reinvestigation reveals it is indeed 501 butted. And gorgeous lugwork, hidden under the PINK paint.
Without pictures I refuse to believe you have a bike that is pinker than the Mercian  :P
At long last.

Laydeez and gennelmen, I give you
<pause>

<fx: drum roll> 

The PINK bike.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1586 on: 05 March, 2013, 10:23:19 pm »
That's a good name to have on a bike :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1587 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:03:17 am »
At long last.

Laydeez and gennelmen, I give you
<pause>

<fx: drum roll> 

The PINK bike.

Are sure?  Looks magenta to me ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1588 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:49:24 am »
Oma fiets outside the Royals shopping experience  ::-).
If it was mine I'd have gone for hub dynamo and brakes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1589 on: 06 March, 2013, 01:15:12 pm »
At the weekend, we went to Whitstable.  Enticed by old maps, we wandered into a shop onthe beach.  Hanging up, there was an old tandem.  The owner told us it was a Freddie Grubb, and he rode it a couple of times each summer.  It had a Cyclo-style gear, and cantilever brakes, which he surmised had been added later, as had the fork.  I think he was right about that.  The rear wheel had a fixed sprocket on the other side.

On an adjacent wall, there was a fine solo machine, which he told us was a Hobbs.  Very nice indeed.  I think Butterfly has at least one photo, but it was in a dark shop against the light.
Getting there...

« Reply #1590 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
Hase tandem with the front half having a bucket seat, seems to have a seat belt:

The saddle looks like a Spa.

Next to it was this unfortunate wheel:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1591 on: 08 March, 2013, 08:08:04 am »
The seating arrangement on the Hase Pino is what they do. However it seems not  to have a stoker chainset. Coupled with the heavy duty prop stand and seat belt, that suggests the stoker is less able than the average cyclist.  Very versatile machines.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1592 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:43:33 am »
Moulton F coming off Tooting Common and disappearing into the mist...
Getting there...

« Reply #1593 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:24:48 am »
At the weekend, we went to Whitstable.  Enticed by old maps, we wandered into a shop onthe beach.  Hanging up, there was an old tandem.  The owner told us it was a Freddie Grubb, and he rode it a couple of times each summer.  It had a Cyclo-style gear, and cantilever brakes, which he surmised had been added later, as had the fork.  I think he was right about that.  The rear wheel had a fixed sprocket on the other side.

On an adjacent wall, there was a fine solo machine, which he told us was a Hobbs.  Very nice indeed.  I think Butterfly has at least one photo, but it was in a dark shop against the light.
That'll be Bruce Williams you spoke to then. He's a keen cyclist and a good friend of mine. He potters around on a Bickerton folder.
Did you clock any of the weird-like-they're-not-from-this-planet plants in jars full of clear silicone oil?
Made by the lovely Clare - who markets her products under the name of Questioners Garden Time  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1594 on: 08 March, 2013, 11:08:48 am »
Next time we go there, we'll make a point of popping in and saying hello.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1595 on: 10 March, 2013, 12:51:12 am »
Hase tandem with the front half having a bucket seat, seems to have a seat belt:

The saddle looks like a Spa.
Is it just my eyes or can others see an absence of front pedals?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1596 on: 10 March, 2013, 12:56:50 am »
Perhaps for a stoker passenger with a deficiency of legs?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1597 on: 10 March, 2013, 01:02:35 am »
Or a deficiency of pedalling legs.

Also a one-sided handlebar for the pilot (driver?). I can't work out where all the controls (gear shifters, brake levers) are. Brakes could be linked so front and rear work off one lever, and there's a gripshift-style changer, but there are clearly two derailleurs and I can't see a second shifter.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1598 on: 10 March, 2013, 01:06:33 am »
Nope, standard Pino controls.  The left handlebar is hidden behind the stoker seat in that photograph - you can see the end of it sticking out at the top (ETA: and reflected in the window) - the steering is turned hard to the right.

If the stoker had normal legs, they'd need something to support them.  It's hard work riding a recumbent without foot retention; riding one without something to press against doesn't bear thinking about.  So the legs in question are going to be short enough not to reach the ground or foul the front wheel when left to dangle unsupported.  I conclude a child or disabled adult.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1599 on: 10 March, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »
Thanks, I can see the other handlebar now! And the sensible conclusion about legs.