Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 640565 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #750 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
Today in the bike park at work I saw a Pederson.
Your bike park seems to be an interesting place! :D

Yes, apart from the general run of the mill stuff and the posers there are obviously a few people with some cycling taste who work there.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #751 on: 12 February, 2011, 01:39:29 pm »
Seems skulduggery has been at work with Pederson

Pedersen bicycle is no longer a Danish product.
My biggest customer, the German importer Kalle Kalkhoff has stolen the production from me. It is now being manufactured in the Czech Republic and distributed from Oldenburg Germany under the name Pedersen Manufaktur,
It has been bitter for me to say goodbye after 30 years, but there is nothing I can do.
I have spent half life to refine and develop the Dane Michael Pedersen's design from 1893, into long variations of frame sizes, playing with the geometry over the tandem to the triplet.
Now it's over; I see no chance to resume my own production without workshop machinery and capital.
This as a farewell to the ca. 6000 bikes, I have send on the street , you are on your own now and I will think of something else.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #752 on: 12 February, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #753 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »
A Dawes Clansman, being spruced up a bit in a used bike shop. I thought it was 60s, the mechanic said 30s, a bit of googling turned up not much but it seems to be 50s. It has a 3-speed Benelux derailleur, very nice curve to the bars (to look at, at least), and some plastic mudguards embossed with Dawes logo (not the present logo), which suggested it must be post-war.

Here's a picture I found on Flikr, (couldn't post the actual image) though the one in the shop was red and somewhat less shiny.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #754 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »
We could make bikes then......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #755 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:46:23 pm »
You've been making Pedersen's in Denmark for 30 years? That is quite something.  :thumbsup: to you.

« Reply #756 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »
Friday morning I saw a teeny yellow tandem (bike Friday) and was thinking back to our collective obsession with the teeny tiny triplet lady (who's brood has all grown up and who all ride solos now...) when who did I run into in Battersea Park, on her teeny tiny yellow triplet as well!?

« Reply #757 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:53:44 pm »
Raleigh moved out of TI stable in 1987. The demise of Raleigh as a manufacturer was probably largely instigated  by a disastrous project to computerise their production control systems (possibly something to do with a management consultant not understanding the Garbage In, Garbage Out principle).
It was a gradual process, with stages separated by years, which suggests that it wasn't related to a single problem - just decades of bad management. Look at the Sturmey-Archer debacle.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #758 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:41:20 pm »
Today I saw a Cliff Shrubb near Lewes.

On the ride with us was a Les Rigden, a TJ Quick, and a half-Hinde (completed by the rider).  Two fixed riders, trendy hipsters that they are - a Pearson Touche and the half-Hinde.  The latter was ridden by a chap of approximately 307 years age (Butterfly's estimate).
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #759 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »
Presumably the half-Hinde was half-Fore?

IGMC

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #760 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:56:03 pm »
A handcycle, on the river path.  It negotiated the tricky corner down from the road with the Welly (pub) on very neatly, but looked to find it slightly more challenging to navigate around the huge council vehicle parked on the cycle path.  Mind, said vehicle was in the middle of washing the latest layer of flood dropped river mud off the cycle path, so I can live with it being there.

« Reply #761 on: 15 February, 2011, 10:50:20 am »
A good crop over the last 24 hours.

Teeny tiny yellow tandem lady in Battersea Park again, but before that a very clean and original Bontrager mountain bike complete with Bontrager triple clamp forks - I so badly wanted one of those when I was racing!

Last night though I saw something very odd - what looked like a Trek Y frame bike initially, turned into something much more interesting.
At first I thought the cyclist had electric assist because the bike made a very odd buzzing noise as it passed across my path at a junction. I caught up with it and realised that it was equipped with what looked like a red anodised Rohloff hub, but what was really weird was that the cyclist was using Powercranks (Powercranks X-Lite | Cyclingnews.com) and was only pedalling with one leg. Unfortunately I wasn't able to talk to him as we went different ways, but it was a very odd looking bike.

I was certain it wan't a Trek Y frame by the way, this had quite a fat profile and I did wonder if there was a battery hidden in there somewhere until I spotted the cranks. It had a very neat integrated rear mudguar bolted to the frame and was full suspension as well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #762 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »
On the street outside work yesterday morning, I drew level with, but didn't pass, a Koga Miyata tourer.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #763 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »
I remember being very tempted to buy one of them in Gloucester, or maybe it was Cheltenham, many years ago. It had a bottom-bracket dynamo with a little lever to operate it on the down tube. Cooooooool!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #764 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:34:51 pm »
I made one of those from instructions in Bicycle Times for my Orbit Gold Medal Extra. :thumbsup:

I loved switching my lights on as I rode along :smug:
Getting there...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #765 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:28:22 pm »
Not seen, but that must have some interesting dynamics on hard cornering?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #766 on: 18 February, 2011, 09:25:33 am »
Cool school run!  I saw a chap riding a Windcheetah along the pavement and across the pelican on Mitcham Road, Tooting with a little kid on his lap.  I wouldn't normally approve of riding on the pavement, but...
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #767 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:41:51 am »
There's a Van Moof parked outside Tooting Bec tube station regularly.

Still fugly.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #768 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »
I had to google that. I agree with you.

« Reply #769 on: 20 February, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »
I loved switching my lights on as I rode along :smug:

Funnily enough, a few years back, when I lived in Cheltenham, I had a bottom bracket dynamo on my Harry Quinn tourer that had a control on the seat tube.  It was indeed very cool being able to engage the dynamo whilst in motion.

I can't remember what the dynamo brand was, but whilst it worked quite well in principle, one winter on the bike killed it.  A bottom bracket is not a very benign environment for a dynamo.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #770 on: 20 February, 2011, 10:00:08 pm »
Soubitez, Union or Sanyo BB dynamo.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #771 on: 20 February, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »
Mine was a Sanyo.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #772 on: 21 February, 2011, 05:33:09 pm »
I didn't know Union made a BB dynamo, I was only aware of the Sanyo and Soubitez.

While we're talking of dynamos - I've noticed several bikes over the last year with a dynamo that consists of two magnets fixed to the spokes at 180 degrees to each other and in line with a light, which must contain the coil and gubbins to generate current. Saves on wiring, obviously, but I'm not sure if there are any other advantages, and it does limit both the range of lights you can use and their positioning.

« Reply #773 on: 21 February, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
You're possible thinking of Reelights - they are low powered "be seen by" LEDs, but with the advantage of relatively simple installation (unlike a hub dynamo), no slipping on the tyre when wet (tyre driven) or running out of power (batteries). There are various models and styles available, so the ones you've seen may not be identical to these.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #774 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »
[via lfgss]

You utter gits; that is either sheer arrogance or precision brilliance - couldn't get a gnat's bollox through there ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.