Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333584 times)

rr

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #175 on: 28 December, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »
Mrs R feels sick because she ate too much at the all you can eat buffet.
We had to pay full price for micro too, she's only 10 but over 150cm all... £4 more !!

« Reply #176 on: 28 December, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »
My mother bought an electric carving knife for use on the turkey this year because last year she really got exhausted carving the thing. (Not exactly the same thing, I hope)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #177 on: 28 December, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »
The Christmas cake my mum has sent me away with is so big it'll do me till next Christmas.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #178 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:22:09 pm »
Sainsbury's don't seem to sell white caster sugar. Their 'Fair Trade Golden Caster Sugar' is too coarse and sticky for me to sprinkle on my berries.

The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra website is rubbish; I cannot see seat availability or ticket prices.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #179 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »
Can you whizz the golden caster sugar in a food professor?

There is so much food in this flat I am struggling to fit it into the fridge and freezer.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #180 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:31:39 pm »
Can you whizz the golden caster sugar in a food professor?

There is so much food in this flat I am struggling to fit it into the fridge and freezer.

I haven't tried but it's sticky and whizzing it is unlikely to make it less so.
It would be fine for baking but its stickiness makes it difficult to sprinkle as sparingly as our post-Christmas diet intentions would like.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #181 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »
I've been back to the Sainsbury's website. It appears they do have Silver Spoon Caster Sugar.
It's listed under 'Baking Ingredients' but not under 'Sugar' in the Tea, Coffee and Sugar' listing...

« Reply #182 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »
I've run out of La Perruche and had to have my espresso with white sugar this morning.

Ruth

« Reply #183 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »
They stopped selling the matching cheese knife for my cutlery set.

« Reply #184 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »
I've been back to the Sainsbury's website. It appears they do have Silver Spoon Caster Sugar.
It's listed under 'Baking Ingredients' but not under 'Sugar' in the Tea, Coffee and Sugar' listing...
Why on earth would you use caster sugar in tea or coffee? Tea requires white lumps and coffee needs demerara.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:21:24 pm »
Why on earth would you use caster sugar in tea or coffee? Tea requires white lumps and coffee needs demerara.

If you put your sugar in a caster?  ;)  (That's a sugar shaker.)

The problem is the listing. The 'Food Cupboard' category has sublists like Breakfast Cereals, Tea, Coffee & Sugar, 'Herbs, Spices, Gravies & Stuffings', 'Cooking & Baking Essentials', 'Rice, Pasta & Noodles' etc.

Silly me thought that 'Tea, Coffee & Sugar' would include all the sugar they sold in the 'All sugar' sub sublist of Tea, Coffee & Sugar.
It didn't.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #186 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:13:50 pm »
Silly me thought that 'Tea, Coffee & Sugar' would include all the sugar they sold in the 'All sugar' sub sublist of Tea, Coffee & Sugar.
It didn't.

Organisation of products in supermarkets is the bane of my life. I spent hours trying to find desiccated coconut the other day. (Well, it felt like hours.)

You'd think this wouldn't be a problem with online shopping - I'm sure database technology is sufficiently advanced for products to be listed on multiple "virtual shelves".

How do the pickers who collect online orders manage? Are they expected to learn where every last one of their n million product lines is located in the shop, or do their little handheld devices tell them where to find stuff as they progress round, clogging up the aisles with those stupid enormous trollies? If the latter, why can't I get an app that does the same for me?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #187 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »
The pickers find things because items have their (faulty logic) category 'pedigree'

I think the workaround is to search for everything you feel they ought to have but can't find in its 'obvious' place. This can mean scrolling through pages of lists because the 'logic' includes rather more than you might expect, if my experience with a search for 'apricot' is an example.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #188 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:20:53 pm »
Yes, the pickers know where every single item is ...except the desiccated coconut.  I got directed to the fruit 'n' veg section when I asked for it in store.  The poor man thought I wanted a whole fresh coconut.  I never did find the desiccated.  I bought Bounty bars instead.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Don't most home deliveries come from warehouses rather than actual shops these days?
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #190 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:24:40 pm »
At least online you have the option of sticking 'caster sugar in the search box. No search box in the store!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #191 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:28:05 pm »
Desiccated coconut:
-> Cooking & Baking Essentials -> Christmas Homebaking: -> All Christmas Homebaking.

Hope you don't want desecratrated coconut next week...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #192 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »
Don't most home deliveries come from warehouses rather than actual shops these days?

Only the ones that cost money. Warehouses cost money, and you need a lot to cover the country.

It is way more efficient to have the merchandise picked in a local store, and delivered from it. The thousands of product lines are already being managed by the in-store staff, for stock turn etc. so no duplication of effort or storage space.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #193 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:39:21 pm »
How do the pickers who collect online orders manage? Are they expected to learn where every last one of their n million product lines is located in the shop, or do their little handheld devices tell them where to find stuff as they progress round, clogging up the aisles with those stupid enormous trollies? If the latter, why can't I get an app that does the same for me?
They are shown what item to pick next, in which aisle it is, and on which shelf in that given location. The item's barcode is then scanned and that confirms (or not) that it's the right thing. The computer then tells the picker in which tote (box) to place it. Pretty tedious work, but better than doing the actual delivering. DAHIKT.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #194 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »
It gets more efficient to use warehouses as home delivery gets more popular.  Tesco in my area is planning to switch to a warehouse system, if I heard correctly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #195 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »
They are shown what item to pick next, in which aisle it is, and on which shelf in that given location.

I want this as an iPhone app. Preferably one that will tell me where to find any item on my shopping list in any of the various local stores I use.

I really don't think that is asking too much.

;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #196 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:53:49 pm »
In seven minutes, delivery of my new PC will be late!
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #197 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:59:15 pm »
I want this as an iPhone app. Preferably one that will tell me where to find any item on my shopping list in any of the various local stores I use.

;)

I was asking for that before smartphones were invented.  And yet it's still not here (not for my BlackBerry anyway).  A first world problem indeed.  Such an abundance of goods that we can't wade through them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #198 on: 30 December, 2013, 06:04:45 pm »
It gets more efficient to use warehouses as home delivery gets more popular.  Tesco in my area is planning to switch to a warehouse system, if I heard correctly.
We live nearer to the Tesco depot than to our nearest store. But I bet they won't give us a delivery discount, oh no!  >:(  #fwp
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #199 on: 30 December, 2013, 06:09:16 pm »
They are shown what item to pick next, in which aisle it is, and on which shelf in that given location.

;)

Just download it then  ;)

It is simpler than it looks.