Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336352 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #200 on: 30 December, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »
... If the latter, why can't I get an app that does the same for me?

I used to have an app (for Sainsburys or Tesco, can't remember which) that did just that. Unfortunately it didn't work in my, then, local store as tehre was no reception....

Pretty sure that it was the relevant chain's own app if that helps

« Reply #201 on: 31 December, 2013, 09:09:04 am »
I had the misfortune of working at a supermarket earlier this year. Needs must. Anyway, the pickers had a hard time picking their orders at times, because shelf stacking was often not as efficient as it could have been. Plus, the supermarkets have a habit of moving products around to keep shoppers on their toes. Additionally, each store has a different layout, so would need a bespoke version of the app. Supermarkets also have a vested interest in having people wandering around their stores.

On a related first-world problem, supermarkets operate so cheaply* because they are staffed by armies of people paid marginally over minimum wage, often toiling under stressful conditions. I did 12 weeks and it was horrendous.

* To them.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #202 on: 31 December, 2013, 09:53:05 am »
We ran out of Hovis bread mix last night so I had to dig out the dried yeast and strong flour so I could put the bread machine on for a loaf in the morning.

It was touch and go, I can tell you.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #203 on: 31 December, 2013, 10:13:26 am »
Supermarkets also have a vested interest in having people wandering around their stores.

I think you'll find it is a little more complicated than that.

It is simpler than it looks.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #204 on: 01 January, 2014, 01:04:17 pm »
The satellite TV signal keeps breaking up, 'cos of the wind.

Something ought to be done.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #205 on: 01 January, 2014, 01:22:19 pm »
There were 6 people in front of me in the supermarket line, and they would not open another line. I had to wait a full 8 minutes before I could pay and get out..

« Reply #206 on: 01 January, 2014, 04:30:01 pm »
Our cleaner has announced she's stopping working.  From conversations in the pub 2 days ago, I think the whole village will be on the lookout for a new one.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #207 on: 02 January, 2014, 10:46:36 am »
Because my cleaner comes on Wednesdays and doesn't work Christmas Day or NYD, nobody has stolen the dirt around here for 2 weeks!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 02 January, 2014, 01:34:04 pm »
Because my cleaner comes on Wednesdays and doesn't work Christmas Day or NYD, nobody has stolen the dirt around here for 2 weeks!

We have a similar problem with the non-collection of bins.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #209 on: 02 January, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »
The pineapple is not ripe; we'll have to eat mango!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #210 on: 02 January, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
Just download it then  ;)

Nifty. I have the Tesco app on my phone but it didn't do that last time I looked - but that's probably because I don't look at it often, because I can't get a signal in our local Tesco, though I note that Clubcard members get use of in-store Wi-Fi, so maybe that's worth exploring.

The Waitrose app doesn't have that feature. But Waitrose does have free coffee.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #211 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
So I've heard... but they don't have it in either of my two nearest Waitrosen. You can only imagine how deprived I feel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #212 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:31:22 pm »
More coffee woes.  We have a filter machine and cafetiere blend coffee (it's more coarsely ground) instead of filter blend.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #213 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »
There were 6 people in front of me in the supermarket line, and they would not open another line. I had to wait a full 8 minutes before I could pay and get out..
That's a "Falling Down" moment really.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #214 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:06:17 pm »

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #215 on: 07 January, 2014, 09:58:52 am »
I had a stretchy elastic piece between my lanyard and my ID badge to save me having to bend and twist to reach the door openers, but it broke.

My colleagues are organising a tv appeal, something like the ones for the Dogs' Trust.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #216 on: 08 January, 2014, 08:24:47 am »
My nook ran out of battery power on the tube this morning so I couldn't find out what happens next in Game of Thrones and (worse) was reduced to reading the Metro. 

ian

« Reply #217 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
I had forgot to the set the timer on my coffee robot for this morning. I came down to find no hot coffee and had to press the 'on' button myself and wait an additional five minutes for it to grind and brew. I nearly died.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #218 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:51:28 am »
Our rubbish collection is being rescheduled to later in the day so on Fridays we'll have bin bags on the pavements for a few hours longer than we are used to. Hopefully house prices won't be affected.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #219 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:45:32 am »
My nook ran out of battery power on the tube this morning so I couldn't find out what happens next in Game of Thrones and (worse) was reduced to reading the Metro.

BTDTGTTS. I feel your pain, Julian. Relieved to hear you made it through to the other side.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #220 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:07:32 am »
The scones we are scoffing with butter, jam and clotted cream are slightly soggy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #221 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:42:12 am »

There surely must be a support group for those who have this most unfortunate experience.

« Reply #222 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:42:59 am »
Carry a portable charger!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #223 on: 08 January, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »

Such a response discounts the considerable personal trauma suffered by those in such an unfortunate position, undermines the good work being done by any support groups out there as intimated by Ian, and completely misses the point of the thread, which is to be allowed to bemoan the completely trivial as though it were life-threatening.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #224 on: 08 January, 2014, 12:52:17 pm »
I agree, Tim.  I hope she's managing to make it through the day like the professional I know she is.

You should be ashamed of yourself, Gerald.  It's this sort of irresponsible victim-blaming attitude that diverts attention away from a very serious social and literary problem.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk