Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335960 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1050 on: 02 January, 2016, 10:04:39 am »
The cat has knocked over the ps2 (play station 2).
It doesn't work any more.  The disk something has stopt working, the config stuf is still fine.  ie it's now useless. sob.
either that or I have to pretend I know what I am doing and try to mend it (ha ha ha ha ha)
In the style of that Jack Black movie, you could re-enact classic games. I'm sure the boys would join in once they get the idea.

Thus bringing back elements of wonderful christmas past leveraging modern youth interests.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1051 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:31:55 pm »
Playstation 2 probably counts as classic games to today's yoof.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1052 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has a PS2.  'nuff said.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1053 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:35:30 pm »
I still think of PS2 as a keyboard connector, made popular by the mega-global big iron corporation of Armonk, USAnia's desktop PC of the same name.  </old_fart>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1054 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:39:30 pm »
So do I.  Something to do with the Model M (formerly attached to a genuine PS/2) six inches from my right foot.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1055 on: 02 January, 2016, 01:40:56 pm »
ISTR that the IBM PS2 was a rather-better-than-most babbage engine from the 1980s.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1056 on: 02 January, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »
It was certainly solid enough to survive a nuclear war.  The police didn't use them because they were too heavy to beat suspects over the head with.

ian

« Reply #1057 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:25:31 am »
Next week I'm going to a mothership shindig in Florida. Every evening there's a free bar till 2am. Consulting my calendar, it seems every morning someone has scheduled a breakfast meeting with me at 7am. I'm no good at 7am when I've nothing stronger than a cup of tea the evening before.

Breakfast meetings. What kind of diabolical magics are these?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1058 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:19:30 pm »
Decisions decisions. Tomorrow is forecast to be wind free and sunny, but I just can't decide whether to go for a long bike ride (on studded tyres) or to go fell walking in the snow.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1059 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:26:34 pm »
Next week I'm going to a mothership shindig in Florida. Every evening there's a free bar till 2am. Consulting my calendar, it seems every morning someone has scheduled a breakfast meeting with me at 7am. I'm no good at 7am when I've nothing stronger than a cup of tea the evening before.

Just assume that they meant UK time. I'm sure that, like me, you've suffered enough from leftpondians who don't understand the concept of time zones that you deserve some kind of payback

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1060 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:47:43 pm »

Just assume that they meant UK time. I'm sure that, like me, you've suffered enough from leftpondians who don't understand the concept of time zones that you deserve some kind of payback

UK time? So you start the 7am (UK) meeting as the free bar closes? That'll go well...

PaulF

« Reply #1061 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:52:26 pm »

UK time? So you start the 7am (UK) meeting as the free bar closes? That'll go well...

Precisely ;D

« Reply #1062 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:45:43 pm »
I was told yesterday that regular consumption of green tea encourages gout and kidney stones. PG tips anyone?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1063 on: 16 January, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »
Tesco no longer sell tinned apricots in juice, only in syrup.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1064 on: 16 January, 2016, 01:41:58 pm »
Mr. Sainsbury's emporium of toothsome comestibles has ceased being just that from the moment they desisted vending prawn spring rolls.
I had some last weekend.
They are no longer available.
Beaucoup merde.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1065 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:16:19 am »
My socks were cold after my commute in this morning. And when I put my phone in my pocket I found that this was even colder!

ian

« Reply #1066 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:54:49 pm »
Standing on the beach last night with a cooling beer, I was forced to put on a light jacket to defeat the mild chill from the gentle sea breeze.

« Reply #1067 on: 19 January, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »
Cornish daffodils/narcissi. Mrs C's mum sends them to Mrs C every birthday, and sometimes other occasions.

Is it just me, or do they have a petro-chemical smell? Do they provoke a monster headache whenever they're around?

I daren't ask Mrs C's mum to stop sending them. She hates me so she'll only send more.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

PaulF

« Reply #1068 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:28:04 pm »
Then reverse psychology is your friend. Tell her how much joy like them and she'll stop.

« Reply #1069 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:39:45 pm »
Finding out that climbing Everest can actually kill you.  And your Sherpa.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1070 on: 23 January, 2016, 12:10:07 am »
Just heard someone on the beeb complaining about the snow in USania " there was no organic milk"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1071 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:15:54 am »
Just heard someone on the beeb complaining about the snow in USania " there was no organic milk"

Also, presumably from someone visiting the area: "I don't have any clothing with me so I'm wearing the same thing I wore yesterday and will probably have the same thing happening tonight."

Not to mention: "I'm coming out (of a stripped grocery store) empty handed so I'll just have to make do with what I've got in my refrigerator."
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1072 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:51:22 pm »

Reminds me of my cousin's blog from Phuket one December.

Having very narrowly escaped the Boxing Day Tsunami, a fellow hotel guest bemoaned the lack of marmalade for breakfast...

ian

« Reply #1073 on: 23 January, 2016, 02:40:58 pm »

Once upon a time, I staggered through a US snowstorm during a power outage to get some supplies from the local gas station. They wouldn't sell me anything because the tills wouldn't work. I think I finally negotiated a purchase on the grounds that what they had in the freezers would go off (they could have put it outside, of course, it was about -15) and I'd do the math for them.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1074 on: 23 January, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »
Last year the gin selection in Geneva duty free was amazeballs, today it was shit. I didn't buy any :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.