Author Topic: Tomato blossom end rot...  (Read 3445 times)

Tomato blossom end rot...
« on: 12 June, 2016, 07:08:02 pm »
last year I grew 2 tomatos per 5 l pot and ended up with about half getting blossom end rot; having read up a bit about it discovered it can occur due to irregular watering, calcium deficiency.

So this year I`ve put one plant per 5l pot and been careful with regular watering; a full truss has set on each plant with tomatos size large marbles, and what the fxxx most are showing signs of blossom end rot, blackened at end. >:(

So please what should I do, remove blackened end ones, leave and cut out rot when they`re ripe ? I lost half the crop last year to this and hoped to do so much better this year , so far NBG. Variety is Ailsa Craig raised from seed

Real disappointed at this :( 
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Tomato blossom end rot...
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2016, 10:30:01 am »
Looks like you just have to up the watering to keep the soil moist...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=395   
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2016, 01:10:03 pm »
5 litre pot is minimalist for tomatoes IMO, so 2 in each pot was pushing it. I've seen 10 litre pots which were mostly tomato roots, & that makes keeping them watered difficult, since there's not much soil/compost to hold water. I had 'em in pots of at least 15 litres last year, one at a time.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2016, 05:58:48 pm »
5 litre pot is a minimalist for tomatoes IMO. so 2 in each pot was pushing it. I've seen 10 litre pots which were mostly tomato roots, & that makes keeping them watered difficult, since there's not much soil/compost to hold water. I had 'em in pots of at least 15 litres last year, one at a time.

that would make sense---although they are 1 per 5l pot and soil is moist I`ve just cut back a number of large  lower leave fronds and noticed that a lot of roots are near the soil surface, ie they are looking very potbound :(  another lesson for next year....not much I can really do now as plants are a metre high with three trusses set on each
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »
Still possible to transfer them to bigger pots. I bet that if you turned them out (carefully!) you'd find that the root balls would take just about everything with them. Biggest problem would be handling plants that big without breaking them. Maybe a two person job.

I expect they'll survive as they are, though. Just have to keep watering. Pots in trays to provide a water reservoir?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897