Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279218 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1250 on: 24 September, 2019, 04:46:22 pm »
In E12 it's all thunderbolts and lightning, very, very frightening

And in CB6, internet dissapeared for 10 mins, almost a disaster
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1251 on: 24 September, 2019, 04:58:02 pm »
Bright sunshine here.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1252 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
Alternating downpours with dry spells here in HA8. The Jaffa Cakes box delivered by Mr Sainsbury's EoTC was soggy & saturated.

« Reply #1253 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
We had a 45 minute power cut last night which I suspect was due to weather - the power network reckoned an underground cable failure but it was rather rainy so suspect that caused whatever problem was caused.

It was fine as it was just about bedtime anyway.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It occurs to me that in the 15 or so years of my experience living in and near Llandysul i have never heard or seen a thunderstorm.  I don't know if is some weird Teifi Valley thing or what, but i do miss it.  :(

Until today.
Bang crash wallop.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

:D

Unusual to have one in the morning IME.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The oddest thunderstorm I recall was after a day's freezing cycling with Auntie Helen, followed by a tai chi class that was cut short as a result of very heavy snow. As I slid/cycled home, there were a couple of really loud thunder crashes. December 2010 IIRC.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Ah, incorrectly performed tai chi will anger the weather gods.  ;)

Chris S

Everyone loves a bit of Thundersnow. Especially Jim Cantore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJt4nV6hM1Y

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Getting a bit soggy in Furryboottoon tonight  :o

Cudzoziemiec

The Ingraudia has a piece on "How to survive winter" with advice from people with outdoor jobs: scaffolder, vet, etc. Strikes me they're talking to the wrong people! Surviving winter with an outdoor job is a matter of clothing and food. More generally, it's a matter of day to day weather. Surviving winter with an indoor job is a matter of attitude and finding ways to kiss the sky ((C)One of Isla's Icons) when it's not there.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/27/how-to-survive-the-winter-the-expert-guide-to-staying-warm-healthy-and-happy

Basil

• Help me!
The Teifi burst it's banks overnight.  Memories of last October's flood.  However, not big and receding already.  Phew!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Here it's been bitterly cold the last few days, dry but with a fresh NE wind to make it colder.

Looking back at my archives, on 30th October 2006 I did a 200k with an average temperature of 20°C and a max of 28.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

Every year at the end of October and beginning of November I'm impressed by the ability of fireworks to go off in heavy rain.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Chris S

OK, so it's almost certainly a Föhn event, but this is quite extraordinary.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1212043438268567553

Meanwhile, maximum day temperatures in large parts of northern India dipped 10C below normal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-50953950
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

Mother Nature, in a desperate attempt to even things out.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Yup - taken the heat out of India and dumped it in Scotland.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Cudzoziemiec

It actually snowed in Delhi in, IIRC, January 2010. I don't know what the temperature was though.

Story of coping with unexpected snow: there's a woman in the LBS who grew up in Jerusalem, where her brother still lives. One winter day he got up to find it had snowed. This is unusual but nowhere near as freakish as snow in Delhi. So did he scrape the ice off his car and drive to work? No, he boiled a kettle and poured boiling water over the windscreen.  :facepalm: A new windscreen in Israel is every bit as expensive as it would be here.

Basil

• Help me!
Storm Bastard (or whatever this one's called) has just arrived.  It was preceded by a very large flock of gulls, which is a bird we very rarely see here.  Quite ominous.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Been trying to bang the drum for Paul's Willy Warmer on Saturday. Getting lots of feedback to the tune of 'the weather last year was awful - it's a great ride!' so keeping a beedy eye on the Met office...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Looks like an impressive squall line has just made Welsh landfall.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark