Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254154 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #275 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »
Who's up for Tour of the Hills?

I'll be there, still a few GdS rides short of the season's target.

Could be quite a warm day.

Hillbilly

« Reply #276 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:52:26 pm »
Formal email to go out later this week, but for those interested in things Kidds Toys/Around Weald Expedition-ary, the routesheets and GPS tracklogs have been uploaded to the event pages in the calendar on the Audax UK website.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #277 on: 15 August, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »
the Magick Gazebo TM worked in scaring off the rain clouds for a while. We had an impressive 14/19 starters on the day who all finished with few visitations; Brunch Baps seemed to go down very well  :P

It's with great sadness that I'm giving up the Corker as it does some great lanes and stiff climbs with fantastic views on a good day; I have the gpx and route sheet if anyone wants to do it for a hard but very satisfying DIY

but it will be replaced next summer, probably with a calendar version of The Reliable

I wanted to ride it this year but muddled the calendar, and entries were closed the evening before the ride. I'd love to see the route sheet and GPX, maybe ride it as a perm.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Martin

« Reply #278 on: 16 August, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »
the Magick Gazebo TM worked in scaring off the rain clouds for a while. We had an impressive 14/19 starters on the day who all finished with few visitations; Brunch Baps seemed to go down very well  :P

It's with great sadness that I'm giving up the Corker as it does some great lanes and stiff climbs with fantastic views on a good day; I have the gpx and route sheet if anyone wants to do it for a hard but very satisfying DIY

but it will be replaced next summer, probably with a calendar version of The Reliable

I wanted to ride it this year but muddled the calendar, and entries were closed the evening before the ride. I'd love to see the route sheet and GPX, maybe ride it as a perm.

no problemo, please PM us your email  :)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #279 on: 16 August, 2012, 01:31:03 pm »
Formal email to go out later this week, but for those interested in things Kidds Toys/Around Weald Expedition-ary, the routesheets and GPS tracklogs have been uploaded to the event pages in the calendar on the Audax UK website.

Just got back from holiday - is there still time to enter if I can get a pass?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Hillbilly

« Reply #280 on: 16 August, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
Plenty of time.

Entries will be available on the line (on a first come first served basis).  If you book by PayPal or post, then you get a guaranteed entry (provided we don't reach 50, which is the strict rider limit for each event and is the number of cards I've ordered for each).

Currently have 29 for AWE and 22 for Kidds Toys, so may have been a bit ambitious in ordering 50 cards for each.  But happy to be proved wrong  :)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #281 on: 16 August, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »
Thanks. I will work out which I'm capable of riding (having hardly done any distance this year). The last ride of yours that I did (the hilly one that started at Edenbidge and went straight up York Hill to warm us up) was one of the most enjoyable 100kms that I've done, so I shall look forward to whichever I choose.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Hillbilly

« Reply #282 on: 16 August, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
It might help you to know that AWE is essentially Kidds Toys with added legs up to Keston (from Edenbridge and then to Forest Row) at the start and to Battle (from Mayfield and to Groombridge).  Those two "additional" bits are perhaps the easier ones across both rides, although the Keston leg does have a somewhat iconic climb up White Lane (this appears in the "100 Greatest Climbs" book).

In other words, the tough kernel of the rides is essentially the Kidds Toys.  The extra bits for randonneurs with ambitions for a 200 are such that they should be able to gather a little bit of time (albeit the Kidds Toys has a lower minimum speed of, from memory, 12kph rather than 14.3kph).

You'll be pleased to know that, in my opinion, Kidds Toys trumps Down to Downs.  But then again I might simply be enamoured of the "new kidd on the block"

« Reply #283 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:38:54 pm »
Who's up for Tour of the Hills? one of the flagship GdS rides (of the 100s) Not ridden it for 7 years; never seem to be in the country until this year, and the route has changed since I last rode (dumbed down?)

Didn't feel easier than last year  and those Surrey hills are still pretty tough. They start gently but hold something back till just before the summit.

Thanks to Don and his helpers, it was a lovely day.

Martin

« Reply #284 on: 19 August, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »
nothing dumbed down today; the Hills in their full glory horror including Barhatch Lane at the end rather than the (almost) beginning;

not helped by making it into my first ECE 200 GdS  ::-). Ann was on a mission for Ladies' gold and left us for dead (almost literally in that heat!) on the last hill but I got in for Men's silver with 1 min to spare

lovely ride many thanks Don and your helpers; very much a flagship GdS event  :thumbsup:

so Hillbilly; you got even more pain for us next weekend?

contango

« Reply #285 on: 19 August, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »
Who's up for Tour of the Hills? one of the flagship GdS rides (of the 100s) Not ridden it for 7 years; never seem to be in the country until this year, and the route has changed since I last rode (dumbed down?)

Didn't feel easier than last year  and those Surrey hills are still pretty tough. They start gently but hold something back till just before the summit.

Thanks to Don and his helpers, it was a lovely day.

It certainly was, at least as far as the organisation was concerned. The thunderstorm part way through didn't quite fall into "lovely day" territory. The hills seemed to get more and more brutal as the ride progressed, and the sun was a bit too intense for my liking.

I particularly liked the way the first control worked to avoid bunching, and the way all the controls were so clearly visible from the road so there was no chance of whizzing past them. I'd hate to go a long way down one of those descents and then realise I had to go back up to get my card stamped.

TotH was my first ever grimpeur, and for all it hurt towards the end, for all I struggled to understand how I could drink two gallons of water during the day and still be dehydrated, and for all I got leg cramps walking up the last hill, I'm glad I completed it.

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Hillbilly

« Reply #286 on: 20 August, 2012, 07:03:28 am »
so Hillbilly; you got even more pain for us next weekend?

There are a couple of lumps here or there.  More pleasure, less pain.

I did a DIY100 in the Surrey Hills on Saturday.  It was tough but amazing climbing. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the double whammy of Barhatch and the Whitedown via Hoe Lane.  And the views were mighty fine around most of the route, but particularly from Ranmore, Box Hill, Leith Hill and Pitch Hill.  The South East is sometimes maligned by those who go by the stereotype of the region as little more than a commuter belt, forgetting that Surrey is the most wooded part of the UK and there are AONBs and National Parks aplenty to provide great cycling territory.

Box Hill was a procession of cyclists living the dream.  From the ubermenschen on their carbon ultra bikes, to (more pleasingly) apparent beginners giving it a go on whatever bike was at hand.  The National Trust servery looked like a refugee camp for lycra clad (flab) fighters, fleeing from a mid-riff tyre-anny.

Speed bumps go back onto Box Hill this week, diminishing what has been a wonderful strip of tarmac that has been a real pleasure to twiddle up over the past 3 months or so.

« Reply #287 on: 20 August, 2012, 08:06:15 am »
That was a tough one,made a lot tougher by the heat. I've ridden the event about 3 or 4 times but the last time being 2008 and the route has changed since then so I was familiar with most of the climbs but not what order they came in.

A good mix of local club riders, Audaxers and plenty of GdSers in attendance made it an very enjoyable ride.     

« Reply #288 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

ToH - ooh that was a tuffy, but managed to get up the final assault without stopping, and slipped into "silver" with 5 mins to spare. I don't think we'd have been into the gold bracket even without the puncture and the faffage with my maptrap that decided to unseat itself hald way around. Been a while since I rode it and I don't remember the previous route well but I thought this was a more natural line.

Nice to meet fellow GdSers along the way. BIt disappointed that we missed the main rain shower - would have been nice for a cooling off - but caught all the puddles later down the road so still got completely covered in mud.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #289 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:15:20 am »
Yes, tough indeed. I started with PatC but it wasn't long before his 'Mountain Goat' rhythm kicked in (I've learned to recognise and be wary of it!), which put me on the limit. He was already 'in the groove' as we climbed Box Hill (The Zig Zag) with its various 'Kiss my Cav' 'Cav 4 PM' markings but it was on White Down where the elastic snapped. I bonked badly and shortly after took refuge under trees as the heavens opened accompanied by thunder and lightening (it wasn't supposed to do that- no rain jacket!). I was feeling pretty ropey and almost (only almost!) considered packing but an image of Lizzie Armitstead winning silver in the rain went through my head, so I limped over the next lump and stopped at the hall for food which did the trick and I was soon back on form riding alone and see-sawing with a gruppetto from Gregarious Superclub Ciclista. I can remember that mouthful clearly as on one climb they sidled up and the leader swung in front of me while the others boxed me in providing a very strong draft to the top - thank you gents!
It was a hard ride for me mainly due to lack of proper eating in the days leading up to it, but enjoyable nonetheless. Good to see the Usual Audax Suspects at the start and the many racer boys out on the road. Apart from our ride, there were cyclists everywhere of all denominations - Roadies, MTB'ers, families, the lot - really good to see. Oddly enough the motoring fraternity were pretty well behaved with only one miscreant who couldn't spare a couple of seconds for safety's sake - I have you on video, matey!
Strange how, on a Grimpeur, your thoughts of  'how many more climbs?' turn to "is that it?' when the last one is done and you are zooming down to the finish!
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #290 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:21:01 am »
My first AAA classified event! Was a great ride, and certainly tough. How do you guys think that stacks up to the majority of other 100km rides? Easy/average/hard?

Managed to grab a silver, 12mins off the gold time so definitely not a near miss but something to aim for next time :)

Martin

« Reply #291 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:55:39 am »
My first AAA classified event! Was a great ride, and certainly tough. How do you guys think that stacks up to the majority of other 100km rides? Easy/average/hard?

hardest in the South by a long chalk due to the severity and length of some of the climbs. You know it's hard when you look back and think of the zig zag as the easiest climb.

Kidds Toys and the Mid Sussex Olympic should give it a run for its money but still easier

Hillbilly

« Reply #292 on: 20 August, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »
Anything in the Surrey Hills will tend to be on the harder side of rides in the South East.  Mainly because the climbing is so concentrated, so the sweat rushes come thick and fast.  I suspect this is due to the proximity of the North Downs and Greensands in that ("my") part of the world.  The climbs are also hard, often with 10%+ over extended stretches.

This comes at the cost, however, of lots of fiddly controls and infos.  It means routes through the area are too bitty for my liking.  Hence why I've only ridden TotH once (in 2005) despite being one of the more "active" grimpeurs in the SE.  I much prefer the rhythm of routes further east, which are almost as challenging but without the sense of claustrophobia and deja vu I get if I spend more than 50km in the Surrey Hills.

Hillbilly

« Reply #293 on: 20 August, 2012, 01:33:03 pm »
hardest in the South by a long chalk

Challenge accepted!

No holds barred...

contango

« Reply #294 on: 20 August, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »

Managed to grab a silver, 12mins off the gold time so definitely not a near miss but something to aim for next time :)

I've only done a few 100s but the Tour was the hardest of them by a huge margin.

By the time I reached the top of Box Hill my average speed was slightly over 20kph so I thought I might be in with a chance of a medal. Then came the other hills, that made The Zig Zag look like little more than a bump in the ground and any hopes of a medal vanished. By the end of it I just wanted to cross the finishing line within the time limit.

Martin

« Reply #295 on: 20 August, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »
hardest 100 in the South by a long chalk

Challenge accepted!

No holds barred...

are you planning a 100 Surrey Hills perm? I'm toying with the idea of a 66km local 1.25AAA one; Ashdown Forest twice but as befits my useless climbing ability nothing too gratuitous

Hillbilly

« Reply #296 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »

Challenge accepted!

No holds barred...

are you planning a 100 Surrey Hills perm? I'm toying with the idea of a 66km local 1.25AAA one; Ashdown Forest twice but as befits my useless climbing ability nothing too gratuitous

Probably a combination of North Downs (White Lane/Titsey and Chalkpit spring to mind) and Surrey Hills (with the "bridge" between the two via Clandon / Hooley / Chipstead / Epsom / Ranmore Common).  That bridge would include the Whitehill Lane or Hilltop Lane.  Barhatch and Whitedown would by in the Surrey Hills bit, perhaps also with Pitch Hill and probably the obligatory Leith.  Box Hill on the way back.  I've ridden bits of it but never together.  If you get a DIY that covers that territory, you'll know what I'm up to.

My other idea was half a dozen crossings of the North Downs (and Ide and Toys).  Was going to name it "Up N Downs").

Hillbilly

« Reply #297 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
Addendum: my DIY at the weekend was trying out a variant of the Surrey Hills permanent boosted up to 100km.  I have a vague notion that an HQ in Box Hill, with two loops (one clockwise and one anti-clockwise) of my Surrey Hills route would be the kid of perverse fun that audax legends are made of.  Checkpoint in Coldharbour, and infos on Ranmore Common, Coombe Lane and Pitch Hill, and a cafe control in Cranleigh.  115km and something like 2500m of climb, if my GPS is to be believed.

This is still a possibility, as I think I can crank it up a notch form the route I did on Saturday (and which my legs are still reminding me about, although that pain was not eased by a "recovery" ride on Sunday, which just happened to do the North bit of the Kidds Toys, just for fun as it is such a lovely route).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #298 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »

Challenge accepted!

No holds barred...

Probably a combination of North Downs (White Lane/Titsey and Chalkpit spring to mind) and Surrey Hills (with the "bridge" between the two via Clandon / Hooley / Chipstead / Epsom / Ranmore Common).  That bridge would include the Whitehill Lane or Hilltop Lane.  Barhatch and Whitedown would by in the Surrey Hills bit, perhaps also with Pitch Hill and probably the obligatory Leith.  Box Hill on the way back.  I've ridden bits of it but never together.  If you get a DIY that covers that territory, you'll know what I'm up to.

My other idea was half a dozen crossings of the North Downs (and Ide and Toys).  Was going to name it "Up N Downs").

Adding Tanhurst Lane - sadly omitted from the new TotH - would make for a special treat.

Hillbilly

« Reply #299 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:28:21 pm »
Good call.  Meets the "no holds barred" rule.

I made the mistake of descending off Leith Hill via Tanhurst on Saturday and suspect it would have been more fun (and less effort) going in the opposite direction.  Proper audax lane, that wouldn't be out of place in the South West.