Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254087 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #375 on: 05 November, 2012, 01:08:10 pm »
Can I use Oxted as an intermediate? apart from the obvious (direct train home and 'spoons next door for celebratory post ride beer  :P) it offers the far more benign Tandridge Hill approach to get up to Beddlestead lane at the expense of a few extra mostly flat km

Hillbilly

« Reply #376 on: 05 November, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »
Yes.

Just add Oxted as the start/finish control and collect proofs of passage from the named controls on the route.

In deepest winter, it would actually be a sensible way to get up onto the North Downs, as White Lane won't benefit from gritting.  You might even want to stay on the B roads to Warlingham etc (even though it will be a bit repititious on the way back from Selsdon, albeit only 5km or so of shared road) as Beddlestead Lane and the back way to Selsdon via Farleigh can also be frost prone.  Plan ahead etcetc.

Hillbilly

« Reply #377 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:37:36 pm »
My two Box Hill events on 21 April are going to be AAA rated as 1 (for the 58km ride, but not GdS eligible, grimpeur fans who are short on time) and 2.25 (for the 120km ride, so one to add to the GdS list).

I just need to get the community hall to send me out the booking forms, as I've only got verbal agreement at the moment (but I do have three back up plans - Headley start, or the cricket club, or possibly even the pub as the base for operations).

PS: For those who have not yet sampled the Reliable permanent, I recommend it heartily.  Surprisingly biting little ride;  my glutes are a bit uncomfortable, although I did do the Down to Downs the day before on my tank of a MTB, which won't have helped....

I had convinced myself I'd get around the Reliable in 5 hours, but the lanes needing a bit of care (wet descents until early afternoon) and a lack of va-va-voom in the mid-25km did for that plan, despite trying to time trial my way around the Ripe bit.  A speed goal for later this year.

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #378 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »
PS: For those who have not yet sampled the Reliable permanent, I recommend it heartily.
Agreed! As I remember the worst hill is the first hill. Then that's out of the way.

Martin

« Reply #379 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »
PS: For those who have not yet sampled the Reliable permanent, I recommend it heartily.
Agreed! As I remember the worst hill is the first hill. Then that's out of the way.

unless you park at the top of it like I did last week  :-\ and have a blown out tyre and do it on 40psi

still thinking about a Reliable 2 when I get the chance;

ps I've been asked by another organiser if anyone has any calendar dates for next year that have not as yet gone up in the calendar. Remember the 2013 season is 1 Jan to 31 Dec

so far we have

19.1.13 Hills and Mills
16.2.13 Mad Jack John Seviour Memorial
9.3.13 Lasham Loop
17.3.13 Invicta Grimpeur
14.4.13 Hell of the Sussex Coastal Hills
21.4.13 Box Hill Hillbilly hillies
25.5.13 The Reliable
7.7.13 Around Weald Expedition (200) and Kidds Toys (120)
28.7.13 Forts and Ferries
18.8.13 Tour of the Hills
5.10.13 The AAAnfractuous (200)
19.10.13 Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier

Hillbilly

« Reply #380 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »
AWE and KT on 7 July.

I *may* put on a 300km ride in August (5.25 AAA or thereabouts) running out of the Uckfield area (outline earlier in this thread from memory).  No promises though & certainly not in calender yet, even at planning stage, as it is a germ of an idea and need to figure out how to fit it around my own riding (I have written the routesheet though and will definitely offer it as a permanent from mid-summer).

« Reply #381 on: 13 November, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »
The 100km Forts & Ferries has now been credited with it's AAA points and will be run on 28/07/13.

TOTH is also on the calendar usual weekend 18/08/13

So that's at least one calendar GdS ride a month from Jan -Aug 2013 (except June)

Hillbilly

« Reply #382 on: 13 November, 2012, 11:45:27 pm »
October to December is the new season.  On a future GdS I'll sound out if a Nov/Dec Down to Downs will be welcome, as it is a relatively "good" winter route. Given September should have the Hengist and October the Sussex events, only one more ride for a  calendar GDS in principle....

If someone steps up with a June event.  Shall I run a June 300? Happy to put  it on if there is the demand, based on feedback.

Martin

« Reply #383 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:02:04 am »
October to December is the new season.

no it's not  ;) DKUATB

hopefully the Whitchurch 100 should provide a November event

+1 about D2D; rode it on December / January no problems at all a great year round ride

June 300 sounds good; "Southern Daylight?"

Hillbilly

« Reply #384 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:17:17 am »
Meant AUK not GdS season, with my org hat on.

A bit of time to plan.  For the 300 (Around Weald Odyssey as I'd call it) I'd have an Uckfield start and probably ride myself.  Will canvas a few likely punters...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #385 on: 14 November, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

unless you park at the top of it like I did last week  :-\ and have a blown out tyre and do it on 40psi

still thinking about a Reliable 2 when I get the chance;

ps I've been asked by another organiser if anyone has any calendar dates for next year that have not as yet gone up in the calendar. Remember the 2013 season is 1 Jan to 31 Dec

so far we have

19.1.13 Hills and Mills
16.2.13 Mad Jack John Seviour Memorial
9.3.13 Lasham Loop
17.3.13 Invicta Grimpeur
14.4.13 Hell of the Sussex Coastal Hills
21.4.13 Box Hill Hillbilly hillies
25.5.13 The Reliable
7.7.13 Around Weald Expedition (200) and Kidds Toys (120)
28.7.13 Forts and Ferries
18.8.13 Tour of the Hills
(tba) 10.13 Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier
5.10.13 The AAAnfractuous

« Reply #386 on: 14 November, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »
Other Southern events worthy of GDS include-

Hard Boiled 300km -  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-175/

Porkers - 400km- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-400/

Brimstone 600km - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-176/

Wessex SR series celebrating 20 years and 18.75 total AAA 
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #387 on: 14 November, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »
Now I'm a team member with my own 'red' club top,
I'm up for some of that :).

All being well will have my GdS badge very soon.

Mrs BlackSheep

« Reply #388 on: 14 November, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »
Now I'm a team member with my own 'red' club top,
I'm up for some of that :).

All being well will have my GdS badge very soon.

Mrs BlackSheep

1st of all (Nev would have said)- Well done my dear, so you’re the Bird that has won the AAA gong for 2012 with180 AAA points  :thumbsup: 

Now that you have worn out the roads in your neck of the woods, and know every blade of grass! You'll just love Wessex for a change  ;D

Back in my day the epic battle for the AAA championship between Daave Lewis (get well soon Sir) and Sandie (Sandra) Shaw, was one of AUK's finest moments, with just one point separating them. I think Daaave kept Sandra on her toes as he was the AAA Sec and knew how many points to do/ keep the pressure on. Classic stuff. (Mostly calendar events too).

And don't forget folks AUK is non completive  ;D

Martin

« Reply #389 on: 14 November, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »
Other Southern events worthy of GDS include-

Hard Boiled 300km -  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-175/

Porkers - 400km- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-400/

Brimstone 600km - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-176/

none are eligible and never will be unless they move into a Hants start sorry

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #390 on: 15 November, 2012, 07:40:42 am »
Hi Mad Jack

That's about what Nev would have said at the after dinner speech.

I first met Nev in 1978 in the Surrey Roads CC, and in 1997 rode a few hilly events
with Sandra Shaw. No computer to watch points in those days.

As to cycling new roads I was born in Cuckfield, so sort of going back to my routes!!

See you at the weekend? 

Bfn

« Reply #391 on: 15 November, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »

none are eligible and never will be unless they move into a Hants start sorry

Mr Zoom Sir, cant see Hampshire anywhere on here - http://www.dorsets.co.uk/maps/wessex_map.htm

;D

« Reply #392 on: 15 November, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »
That's about what Nev would have said at the after dinner speech.

I first met Nev in 1978 in the Surrey Roads CC, and in 1997 rode a few hilly events

--I made the mistake of asking Nev if I could borrow his pen to fill in the details of the brevet at the start of the Gospel Pass 150 (original name and route). He went mad, call yourself a Randonneur, how are you supposed to write down all the info controls then? Err Ok I was told!

As to cycling new roads I was born in Cuckfield, so sort of going back to my routes!!

--Ahh local lass then and good one..  :thumbsup:

See you at the weekend? 

--I'll be there in sprit, but have a good one..
Bfn

Hillbilly

« Reply #393 on: 18 November, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
I test rode a route that I will (subject to the perm secretary accepting it) make available to extend and ultimately supersede the AAA Milne.  Very nice rural route that riffs on the current 100km ride, but does not share much road space with the Down to Downs (which was my aim).  Oxted - Uckfield - Balcombe - High Hurstwood - Wadhurst - Toys Hill - Oxted.  160km, two infos, lots of climbing (mix of long and choppy, bit like the current AAA Milne).

I plan to submit to John later this week, and also plan that once the 20 or so AAA Milne 100km event cards run out that the shorter event will be mothballed, reflecting my take that there are now sufficient 100km events in the area to help riders achieve a GdS, AAARTY and other awards, and the region might benefit from a wider range of challenges.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #394 on: 18 November, 2012, 07:53:50 pm »
Billy
i hope to do my aaa milne before dec 31 so the card should be back with you soonish. keep the down to downs though, it is a fine ride
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hillbilly

« Reply #395 on: 18 November, 2012, 09:08:55 pm »
I plan that rides will be validated if a card has been issued, regardless of timescale.  I'll just not issue new cards from the earlier of 30 September and when the current print runs out.  All subject to the Perms Secretary agreeing and sorting out the practicalities, of course.

Martin

« Reply #396 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »
I test rode a route that I will (subject to the perm secretary accepting it) make available to extend and ultimately supersede the AAA Milne.  Very nice rural route that riffs on the current 100km ride, but does not share much road space with the Down to Downs (which was my aim).  Oxted - Uckfield - Balcombe - High Hurstwood - Wadhurst - Toys Hill - Oxted.  160km, two infos, lots of climbing (mix of long and choppy, bit like the current AAA Milne).

so it goes down Cob Lane? that's brave; not done that for many a year and with better brakes;

I like it  :thumbsup:

Hillbilly

« Reply #397 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »
Yurp.  It was ok when I did it.  Then again, I had just been frustrated by having to negotiate a closed road at the reservoir.  Those who are afeared of descending t'Cob can take a longer route to Sharpthorne or do the reverse route  O:-)

All good to go though.  Just waiting on the AAA man passing judgement on the points.  My guess is 2.75  (my test route was slightly different and the final has slightly less hills).

Martin

« Reply #398 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:06:51 am »
Yurp.  It was ok when I did it.  Then again, I had just been frustrated by having to negotiate a closed road at the reservoir.  Those who are afeared of descending t'Cob can take a longer route to Sharpthorne or do the reverse route  O:-)

Highbrook (1st L off the Lindfield road, comes out at the Vinols Cross) is a nicer route in that direction for an extra 1.2km, also gives train spotting opportunities, Cob / Hook Lane is not really a good year round route, one reason I've kept the MSH as an October ride. Was the reservoir completely closed? it's been pretty grotty recently. 

With this welcome addition to the SE AAA perms I think I can park my idea for a Reliable 2 as it would just duplicate a lot of the roads used by the others

hoping to do AAA Milne Saturday which will complete my Generic GdS (5 of each perm in a year)

Hillbilly

« Reply #399 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:37:01 am »
The Ardingly side of the descent  was closed due to emergency electricity work.  I had to do a bit of cyclocross to get through, as the entire width of the road was fenced off half way down.  Also meant the road was a leaf strewn, jcb churned  test of handling skills.

The alternative you mention is what i had in mind for Cob Lane.  I might include a note in the routesheet for those of a nervous disposition.  I found Cob Lane ok, but YMMV.