Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255039 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #150 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »

I'd love to figure out a way of getting from Ashdown ridge to Fir Toll Road that doesn't involved 1-2 mile on the A26 towards Crowborough.  It was the only bit that I was thinking "this can surely be improved".

that'll be Hubbards Hill up past the Horder Centre

you won't be popular  :-*

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #151 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »
Had my first proper spin around the AAA Milne
Er, didn't you create it? waddya mean - it's a hard ride? I could have told you that. Mind you it is the GdS. If it was easy, everyone would do it ;) ::-) O:-)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #152 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:10:39 pm »
Er, didn't you create it?

he created it; I named it, I rode it when it was still a twinkle in Christopher Robin's eye. The name was originally intended for my 2006 reroute of the MSH which you've not had the pleasure of, it will next run in 2012 (with a very nice Hillier finale)

Billy Weir

« Reply #153 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:52:58 pm »
Er, didn't you create it? waddya mean - it's a hard ride? I could have told you that. Mind you it is the GdS. If it was easy, everyone would do it ;) ::-) O:-)

Yurp.  Although the first time I'd ridden it all in one go - when I pulled together the route I broke it down into manageable chunks.  Today was a manageable behemoth.

Billy Weir

« Reply #154 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:39:17 am »

I'd love to figure out a way of getting from Ashdown ridge to Fir Toll Road that doesn't involved 1-2 mile on the A26 towards Crowborough.  It was the only bit that I was thinking "this can surely be improved".

that'll be Hubbards Hill up past the Horder Centre

you won't be popular  :-*

I think I know where that is (descend off the ridge toward Friars Gate, taking right?)   Can't remember where it goes though - does it pop out in Crowborough itself, requiring navigation of urban roads to get towards Jarvis Brook?

Martin

« Reply #155 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:27:19 am »
It's Marden's Hill; yes it involves a bit of wiggling around Crowborough but mostly quiet residential roads. Not really a good alternative as it reverses Friars Gate. I'd live with the short bit along the A26 otherwise there is too much repetition of route (the other alternative being via High Hurstwood)

« Reply #156 on: 28 February, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »

I say Sir, do you have permission to use MY ROADS!  ;D

Yes, Hills and Mills goes that way and as Zoom says, it's a lot more navigating to avoid the A26, I do know it through there, but it's a lot of effort.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Billy Weir

« Reply #157 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »

I say Sir, do you have permission to use MY ROADS!  ;D

Yes, Hills and Mills goes that way and as Zoom says, it's a lot more navigating to avoid the A26, I do know it through there, but it's a lot of effort.

<withnail>
We demand the finest roads known to humanity.  And we want them here.  And we want them now.
</withnail>

When I rode it yesterday, I was reminded of snippets from the mid-Sussex and the Hills and Mills.  A fluke, as it simply represented the most obvious (and pleasant) way to get from Forest Row to Mayfield.  It was rather novel not doing Fir Toll Road in the depths of winter (indeed, I was in shorts, albiet regretting the decision when descending off of Ashdown towards Hartfield in the chilly rain).

« Reply #158 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »

<withnail>
We demand the finest roads known to humanity.  And we want them here.  And we want them now.
</withnail>

When I rode it yesterday, I was reminded of snippets from the mid-Sussex and the Hills and Mills.  A fluke, as it simply represented the most obvious (and pleasant) way to get from Forest Row to Mayfield.  It was rather novel not doing Fir Toll Road in the depths of winter (indeed, I was in shorts, albiet regretting the decision when descending off of Ashdown towards Hartfield in the chilly rain).

Shorts- February= brave!

Well I did use some of the Battle and Back route in reverse for Hills and Mills, only way to get to the Wall from Mayfield and Brightling.

We need more roads, well lanes. I have used the bridal path from the forest to the Hoard centre, this is amazing and a bit testing, not sure if road bikes would cope though (hey Zoom).

Remind me the name of your perm Sir.. 

Martin

« Reply #159 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

We need more roads, well lanes. I have used the bridal path from the forest to the Hoard centre, this is amazing and a bit testing, not sure if road bikes would cope though (hey Zoom).

The road I'm thinking of is a very well surfaced one; not a bridleway (bridal path in Ashdown Forest? passable by cycles? I think they have a byelaw allowing you to be hunted with hounds for that  ;)) with a very nice stiff climb a bit like Doleham up to the Horder Centre. It's a good road; but not for this route; it would be better if it was incorporated into a ride which then went to High Husrtwood and took in the never to be repeated original MSH route southwards to Chailey or Newick and thence to the S Downs) <lightbulb>

« Reply #160 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:16:54 pm »

The road I'm thinking of is a very well surfaced one; not a bridleway (bridal path in Ashdown Forest? passable by cycles? I think they have a byelaw allowing you to be hunted with hounds for that  ;)) with a very nice stiff climb a bit like Doleham up to the Horder Centre. It's a good road; but not for this route; it would be better if it was incorporated into a ride which then went to High Husrtwood and took in the never to be repeated original MSH route southwards to Chailey or Newick and thence to the S Downs) <lightbulb>

Mmm Hounds on your back wheel- that's a new one.. :o

Bridal path (un- surfaced road) is just off the B2188 just north from Kings Standing.

Maybe better to go down the B2188 then head for Friar's Gate - St John's. Then link it to Jarvis Brook (ripping descent). Have to get out there now we have lighter evenings upon us..

Martin

« Reply #161 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:24:34 am »
Thanks to the wonders of GPS and also Billy's excellent 2 perms I have got my 2010/11 GdS already.

There are a handful of riders coming up for 5 years of GdS (also 10 rides in a year count double) so I'm going to get a very limited edition embroidered GdS badge made up to be given free to the select few, when they're gone they're gone...

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #162 on: 14 March, 2011, 11:22:59 am »
Thanks to the wonders of GPS and also Billy's excellent 2 perms I have got my 2010/11 GdS already.
And I'm delighted to say that so have I! :thumbsup:
I now intend to do it all again so it counts as twice for this year. I find these hilly hundreds are ideal if you are at a loose end and want a quick day out with some strenuous exercise for the legs. and gawd knows, I do need that.................

Martin

« Reply #163 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
Here they are; they look superb in real 100mm life (the red is actually very good this photo is a result of the flash being too close)

In the post gratis as soon as you've done your 5 years (10 rides in a year count for 2 years). Only 30 available (ever)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #164 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »
Here they are; they look superb in real 100mm life (the red is actually very good this photo is a result of the flash being too close)

In the post gratis as soon as you've done your 5 years (10 rides in a year count for 2 years). Only 30 available (ever)

That would look fantastic on the back of a jersey......
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #165 on: 04 April, 2011, 09:11:01 pm »
as soon as you've done your 5 years (10 rides in a year count for 2 years)
Right. I already have my five rides this year. I thought, as it seems I might have the last week of August free, I might do a GdS-valid perm every day for five days. As it seems I might have a week of holiday booked, and nothing planned. Based on my current prrformance, that is.

Martin

« Reply #166 on: 02 May, 2011, 01:01:55 pm »
the Sussex Corker will return on Sun 8 July 2012 (sandwiched in between a trip I have planned for late June and some obscure spectator event that month)

anyone else want to organise one? Hampshire is looking a bit bare

« Reply #167 on: 23 June, 2011, 08:35:25 pm »
4th Hills and Mills 104km 1.75 AAA prov- Sat 21st Jan 2012 (one week later).

12th Mad Jacks (JSM) 120km 2.5 AAA prov- Sat 18th Feb 2012.

E L Supremo feeds (X2 on both) inc Hot food from the Oven!   :thumbsup:

Andy

Martin

« Reply #168 on: 06 September, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »
anyone else doing Hengist's Hills on Sun 25th? 10.00 start and 4 feed stops; gwan gwan gwan  :)
Tim set it up specially for the GdS, you know you want to! it's not even that hard

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #169 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »
Alas am doing The French Ride. Not that one, just med to manche.  :smug:

Billy Weir

« Reply #170 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:57:55 pm »
Not I.  Did it last year, so falls foul of my self imposed rule for this season of not doing events I've done before (which has, in reality, turned out to be "don't do very many events at all").

Well organised event with a mildly diverting route, albeit too much out and back for my liking.

Martin

« Reply #171 on: 07 September, 2011, 10:09:13 am »
I plan to do Hengist 's hills as it is very local to me. Is it possible to add a loop to ece it up to 200km or do you have to live away from the start?

absolutely not; no problem with adding a 100km loop from wherever  :)

Martin

« Reply #172 on: 25 September, 2011, 08:58:17 pm »
Rode Hengist's Hills today; a really excellent little event (that deserves to be bigger) usual AAA suspects Cyklisten Teapot (latest GdSx5 gold badge winner) Phixie aregister Ann M and a guest appearance from PBP local hero Jeremy fka Captain Apollo; superb feeds 3 times. Weather was perfect; a tailwind all the way back from the last climb of Hollingbourne Hill. I felt fine all the way round; something must be going right. Tim is thinking of running a 200 from the same place next year; if it's worth AAA I'm definitely in, a 200 GdS is a rare and welcome beast!

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #173 on: 25 September, 2011, 09:39:07 pm »
a really excellent little event (that deserves to be bigger)
Absolutely!
Tim is thinking of running a 200 from the same place next year
Martin - would that be instead of Hengists Hills, or an additional event?

Billy Weir

« Reply #174 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »
a 200 GdS is a rare and welcome beast

We may be blessed with two GdS 200s in the calendar (and a permanent to boot, as with minor extensions into Swanley and Hayes my 200 doesn't need information controls).  My plans are well advanced, with a date in the shadow calendar available to organisers 8).  Think of it as a hillier reincarnation of William the Conkerer, with added climbs of the North Downs and the Greensand chart.

An early sketch of the route is on my website  but will be tweaked a little.  Still trying to decide whether to take the calendar route up Kidds Hill (and then down via Fairwarp and the lanes around Jarvis Brook etc) rather than skirting north of Crowborough.  The route will also stop short of Hayes, with an early control closer to Keston (checkpoint if can get a volunteer).