Author Topic: Influencers  (Read 6805 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Influencers
« Reply #50 on: 27 August, 2019, 01:26:24 pm »
Unless they're an idiot* I don't think anyone goes - ooh, look - Kym Kardashian uses 'shakomatic grease proof cleanser' - they just know it when they get to the supermarket.  Getting to be a well known brand name is very powerful.

This definitely happens in cycling even among the pros.

Remember when Wiggins started not wearing socks on the track just to see if people started copying him? They did.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/why-are-the-gb-pursuit-squad-not-wearing-socks-195819
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #51 on: 27 August, 2019, 01:27:56 pm »
True I suppose, but they want greater volume sales than that I suppose - probably the advertising agency statisticians know the proportions well.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #52 on: 27 August, 2019, 01:43:23 pm »
Knowing people who work in PR/advertising, it's quite astounding how easy it is to influence people and worryingly, how often it's the case that people are, in fact, being manipulated. At least once-upon-a-time there used to be a critical layer of media, but now that's gone with direct-to-social or to existing media willing to simply collect the money for publishing something (or accept the cost-saving for a ready-to-publish article, which is all-important when people are increasingly unwilling to pay to read and free-sheets have mass circulation).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 27 August, 2019, 02:10:07 pm »
Not wearing socks on the track is a great opportunity to introduce special no-sock track shoes. I presume special track racing shoes exist already.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 27 August, 2019, 06:30:01 pm »
* Kim rushes off to patent special socks for use with sockless track shoes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #55 on: 27 August, 2019, 06:34:00 pm »
Don't forget to promote them on Instagram and YouTube making clear the differences between sockless shoe socks and sockless sandal socks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #56 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:16:50 pm »
I know that when I was the security lead for BT Openzone the key elements that had to be protected we’re the BT brand and image. It had to be a major consideration when any risk assessment for new features was undertaken.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »
Don't forget to promote them on Instagram and YouTube making clear the differences between sockless shoe socks and sockless sandal socks.

I note that GCN have already cornered the market in sockless track racing sandal socks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #58 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:26:35 pm »
Looks a bit like Andre "Stanley" Brinks!  :o

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 29 August, 2019, 01:43:17 pm »
Influencers exerting the wrong influence?
The Fred Perry brand found itself in the unwelcome spotlight this week when one of its brand ambassadors tweeted that he would no longer wear Fred Perry clothing in the US, now that the self-described “western chauvinist” Proud Boys group have adopted the black-and-yellow striped polo shirts as their unofficial uniform. The company has repeatedly distanced itself from the Proud Boys, describing them as “counter to our beliefs and the people we work with”.
Not sure about the rest of the article though.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/29/far-right-fred-perry-mainstream-fashion-camouflage-brands