Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 113390 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #175 on: 14 August, 2013, 01:02:44 am »
Smear yourself with Marmite.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #176 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:30:28 pm »
I remember TTTing on the Mull of Kintyre 600 a couple of years ago, not to avoid the wind but to get shelter from the midges  :demon:

I remember your photo from the C+ Torridon hostel weekend :(

IMG_0044 by The Pingus, on Flickr

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #177 on: 14 August, 2013, 10:31:03 pm »
Are Midges a Problem?
Midges can be a problem at certain times of year, usually from June until August. The culprits are the pregnant females seeking blood in order to produce their eggs. You should carry a midge repellant with you just in case.

http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/ww_faq.asp#q18
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #178 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:10:22 am »
I have started planning some route options and there is some issues with overnight sleeping.The problem with sleeping options for my planned schedule is at the end of day 2. Gairloch has some options and some options between there and Ullapool - but not many. The real constraint on the route is the ferry from Oban. http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/summer-timetables.htm?id=summer-mull--oban-craignure.png shows the last ferry at 18:00 and the first the following morning at 07:45. Then there is 600 km to the lodge that Mr Blacksheep has booked.

I intend to ride this as a tour rather than a non-stop Audax and try to rest every night. The distances are long between watering holes in that part of the world and there is an almost total lack of 24 services of any kind. Riding through the night would involve filling water bottles as late as possible and buying food and been self sufficient until somewhere was found for breakfast.

Day 1 210 km - Sleep in Oban
Day 2 277 km - Gairloch 
Day 3 322 km - Sleep in the Trantlebeg lodge that I understand Mr Blacksheep has booked.
Day 4 303 km - Glencoe - SYHA with recpetion open untim 10:30pm
Day 5 186km - To finish

This is just what I have sketched out at the moment and is very much an initial idea. The 186 km on the last day leaves plenty of time to finish in 108 hours as this is 23:15 on the Friday.

Oh I am getting all excited
BB

Which splits the climbing out as follows:

Day 1 - 2928m of Climbing:

Day 2 - 3858m of climbing

Day 3 - 5360m of climbing

Day 4 - 3645m of climbing

Day 5 - 1807m of climbing

Profiles from GoogleMap Cuesheet so probably not perfect. But the overall amount of climbing works out very close to the advertised figure

Hillbilly

« Reply #179 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:21:50 am »
I remember TTTing on the Mull of Kintyre 600 a couple of years ago, not to avoid the wind but to get shelter from the midges  :demon:

I remember your photo from the C+ Torridon hostel weekend :(

IMG_0044 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Heh.  Remembers summer holidays in a caravan and shudders at the horror, the horror.

Looks like they are having a siesta after a heavy session bingeing on human flesh.

[I love how the internet gives people the opportunity to get overly excitable about what they will encounter on an event that is just under 12 months away.  As an aside, organisers can look at the planner and get an insight into some interesting developments on the 1000km events front.  Act in haste....]

« Reply #180 on: 15 August, 2013, 03:28:17 pm »

Day 5 - 1807m of climbing

Profiles from GoogleMap Cuesheet so probably not perfect. But the overall amount of climbing works out very close to the advertised figure

I think the climb figures are somewhat too high.

Last year I followed the most of day 4's ride on my LEJOG looking at my ride tracks, the stretch Glencoe village-Syre was 1982 meters downhill (ie climb the other way), using ridewithGPS.com to plot a route Trantlebeg-Syre I get 428m, which gives a total of 2410 meters versus 3645.  The plot is from my Etrex 30 which I reckon is accurate to a few (<10) percent.

The only bits I recall as hard on that stretch were the climb away from Loch Ness and the one after Dingwall, otherwise it was a good deal easier than the average Audax - ie less than the typical 1% or so norm.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #181 on: 15 August, 2013, 03:44:28 pm »
Profiles from GoogleMap Cuesheet
er ... from what?

(Google keep adding stuff behind my back ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #182 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »

............. (Google keep adding stuff behind my back ... )

What worries me is the 150' (or so) below sea level at about 16 miles (stage 1), again at about 92 miles on day 2.  :o :o

Were these measurements made by Google-boat or submarine
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #183 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »
Not an official Google tool, but very handy for quickly getting a gpx and profile out of a google map - http://www.winthefight.org/cuegle/

I'm guessing the -ve height is because it's using satellite mapped ground height, and at that point we'll be floating on a boat 150' above the ground.

That said apparently I dropped to 80 foot below sea level on Mille Alba last year dropping from the Cairngorm Snow Lodge down to Perth. I knew it was a long descent, but not that long....

« Reply #184 on: 15 August, 2013, 11:52:22 pm »
As of now, event now closed to entries - although I'm sure a waiting list will start early next year.

Everyone should have received an initial acknowledement e-mail - which will have gone to the rider's e-mail.

So if you bought this as a surprise retirement gift, get onto their PC, or pray their spam filter was a bit harsh.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #185 on: 17 August, 2013, 09:18:44 pm »

for one brief moment I was worried about what I'd signed up for, then i realised that the metres were feet :facepalm:

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #186 on: 22 August, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »
I am late to the party, I should read yacf more often!
Chief cat entertainer.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #187 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »
Would this ride count towards a Brevet 2,500?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #188 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »
Do you mean the Brevet 25,000?

If so, then AIUI it could count as the 1300, 1000 part of one of the SRs, or the other points towards the 250 total. In other words, it isn't PBP, LEL or an Arrow! (As it's an AUK award, longer rides than the nominated distances can be used)

[Edit: originally typed 1200 instead of 1300]
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #189 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:37:20 pm »
Sorry, yes 25,000

I've just read the rules and it says you have to ride a 13,000K (I did PBP last time and have the Arrow and a 1,000 in the bag)

simonp

« Reply #190 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »
Sorry, yes 25,000

I've just read the rules and it says you have to ride a 13,000K (I did PBP last time and have the Arrow and a 1,000 in the bag)

:o

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #191 on: 23 September, 2013, 10:07:50 pm »
Do you mean the Brevet 25,000?

If so, then AIUI it could count as the 1300, 1000 part of one of the SRs, or the other points towards the 250 total. In other words, it isn't PBP, LEL or an Arrow! (As it's an AUK award, longer rides than the nominated distances can be used)

[Edit: originally typed 1200 instead of 1300]

Thanks Reg

« Reply #192 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »

for one brief moment I was worried about what I'd signed up for, then i realised that the metres were feet :facepalm:

The metres look scary enough......guess whose name won't be on the waiting list :smug:

ENJOY

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #193 on: 15 October, 2013, 09:01:33 pm »
Just booked my holiday for next year and managed to organise so I can make this ride with one day to spare. Almost had a LEL 2013 moment but managed to avoid it with a little negotiation.

8)

Really looking forward to this. Going back to Scotland  :thumbsup: love it and hope for good weather.

Now have to get fit as I think this is a bit harder than PBP.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #194 on: 25 October, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »
Just been looking at the the route for this one.  Not really sure that riding along the A82 for long stretches in daylight during peak silly season is the best idea.  What are people's thoughts on alternative routes or riding that section at night?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #195 on: 25 October, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
Not looked at the route at all, don't know the A82, but I have faith in the org that he has chosen the best roads for the circumstances. If you have local knowledge and know a better route, then drop him a line.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #196 on: 25 October, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »
Aye - that's the problem - there aren't many routes that go from Dingwall to Tyndrum.  One safer alternative would be the road south of Loch Ness, and to go round the coast from Ballachullish to Taynuilt rather than over Rannoch Moor.

« Reply #197 on: 25 October, 2013, 12:58:03 pm »
Aye - that's the problem - there aren't many routes that go from Dingwall to Tyndrum.  One safer alternative would be the road south of Loch Ness, and to go round the coast from Ballachullish to Taynuilt rather than over Rannoch Moor.

Surely that would impact on height climbed and therefore AAA points.

« Reply #198 on: 25 October, 2013, 01:32:30 pm »
its more the ferry times i'm concerned about
@CorbieLinnRider

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #199 on: 25 October, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »
Have they published their 2014 summer timetables yet?

The only concerns I have for this ride currently are whether I will get the miles in over winter and spring to make for an enjoyable summer campaign.

Ferries, roads, places to sleep - that's all the fun stuff and nothing to worry about.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!