Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 112882 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #950 on: 13 December, 2014, 12:54:11 pm »
You know what they say - no publicity is bad publicity!

We'd never get to 38 pages (that's over a page-per-rider) without the nit-picking and pedantry.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #951 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:03:04 pm »

We'd never get to 38 pages (that's over a page-per-rider) without the nit-picking and pedantry.

Hate to point out your post is on page 39. Please check your facts next time, these details are important Matt.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #952 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:25:42 pm »

Hate to point out your post is on page 39. Please check your facts next time, these details are important Matt.
You did the right thing. It was for my own good.

In future I shall refer to this event as "The Highlands', Glen's & Western Isle's "
That should get us to 100 pages, and probably keep us on the front page until PBP entries open.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #953 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:29:27 pm »
Quick someone, delete a post!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #954 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »

You did the right thing. It was for my own good.

In future I shall refer to this event as "The Highlands', Glen's & Western Isle's "
That should get us to 100 pages, and probably keep us on the front page until PBP entries open.

As the Oracle, I am reluctant to call you out on this, but I do think 100 pages is optimistic. I think at least 50 pages of the internet could be filled with discussion on regulation 32.7.9 sub-clause A with regards to this ride.

PBP has been cancelled anyway. No ferries you see. New rules.
Right! What's next?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #955 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:41:08 pm »
Very enjoyable programme.

It was bucketing down yesterday morning so I stayed indoors and watched it during a spinning session. I have to say that I'm convinced there were some parts that had me pedalling harder than usual  :).  It's a shame that it won't be shown on a UK-wide channel - although given the logjam of 600s next year already, that may be a good thing!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #956 on: 13 December, 2014, 02:09:08 pm »
Quick someone, delete a post!

Or go one better and delete the whole bloody topic.

Looking back, 36 of us that's 29 riders, Meg, Five camera operators and me had a good time in great weather and wonderful countryside.

Come-on Hummers, lock the topic. I'm getting bored.

HUMMERS
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #957 on: 13 December, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
If it isn't the midges biting, it's the nits picking.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #958 on: 13 December, 2014, 03:30:36 pm »
Last time I saw Hummers he was looking a little wobbly with a bunch of tinsel stuck up his....oh never mind
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #959 on: 13 December, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
The biggest problem with this ride is what the heck can top it?

It was one of the best bike rides ever, the scenery, the weather, the people, everything was just fabulous.  It was far above and beyond what else is going on in AUK world that it makes most of the events on in the calendar look pretty pedestrian in comparison.  Having had quite a big year last year and hitting the heights of the Pyrenean ride and then focusing on the 24 this year and, as an added bonus, spending the best week riding in Scotland, it makes next year look pretty drab at the moment.  Sure, the French ride will be fun, but maybe because it's winter and rubbish, I am hardly excited about next year in the same way.  I may have to make up my own fun and have a few ideas that I am playing about with for next year.  Seeing the film has made me a little melancholic about everything as it reminded me just how good that ride was and the possibility of other orgs putting on something so out there is small. 

As I said on the documentary, at the end of these really hard rides, you can feel a little lost.  I guess I still do after experiencing something so near perfection.  I'll find my groove again - hopefully soon as I am off touring for a few weeks now! 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #960 on: 13 December, 2014, 04:17:44 pm »
That's what happens when self-actualisation occurs without going through the other steps on Maslow's ladder, it turns your head.

It's a pity they weren't filming a Tom Hanley ride. Failure to complete is part of the story. I remember the faces of the riders who'd missed a secret control and were told about it at Drumlanrig 50 km later on a 400 Km PBP qualifier. The film-makers had the opportunity to tell that story, but had invested a lot of effort into the Swedes. The other riders who stopped didn't rate a mention.

It has occurred to me that a combination of the Three Coasts 600 and the Pendle 600, run consecutively as a 1200 would be a difficult ride that's easier to support.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #961 on: 13 December, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »
Thread locked by request of the organiser and thread originator.

A shame as it largely reflects on what seemed like a great event - top job Mr Blacksheep  :thumbsup:

H

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #962 on: 13 December, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »
Oh, what a shame.  I loved watching this event on the telly.  Congratulations to the riders and organisers.
Milk please, no sugar.