Author Topic: East end London pictures  (Read 5718 times)

ian

Re: East end London pictures
« Reply #25 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:16:19 pm »
I'd cheerfully disembowel the person who first thought the best use of a front garden was for parking their car. Then work through the rest.
No need to disembowel them. Just bury them up their shoulders, dad-on-beach style, then tarmac. Job done.

Presumably then, someone can park one of the usual depressingly ugly* and oversized modern cars on top of them.

*it's not just me is it, car manufacturer's genuinely are having a competition to make the most distressingly fugly car, something that's ninety per cent bulging light clusters and looks like a fat dinosaur has sat on it.

« Reply #26 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:17:44 pm »
They're clearly training ships, because the bow sprits have netting beneath them, working sailing ships wouldn't have bothered with such fripperies.

Is that a 'working sailors use a safety harness' thing, or a 'working sailors are better drowned than duffers' thing...?

« Reply #27 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:58:13 pm »
They're clearly training ships, because the bow sprits have netting beneath them, working sailing ships wouldn't have bothered with such fripperies.

Is that a 'working sailors use a safety harness' thing, or a 'working sailors are better drowned than duffers' thing...?
The latter. Working sailors learnt how to hang on. There's a reason they were called 'hands' ('cos they only hand one hand spare to do stuff with 'cos the other was for hanging on).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #28 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:59:20 pm »
And safety harnesses weren't really a thing when there were working sailing ships (at least, they weren't a thing on working sailing ships).
Rust never sleeps

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #29 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:05:52 pm »

If not Duffers won't drown!  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:06:22 pm »
That BBC link shows sailing ships in the docks in 1971?  Surely not?  Must have been earlier?

They look like Thames sailing barges to me. Still in use, although mostly for pleasure nowadays. There are several moored in Maldon a lot of the time. There's one that used (maybe still does) spend the winter moored as a tea room and in teh summer takes people off on jaunts and day trips. It's the "Hydrogen".

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7290224,0.6881846,3a,75y,64.31h,88.57t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7ijktI-B7-yv3Y62z9CYZA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D7ijktI-B7-yv3Y62z9CYZA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D39.228462%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #31 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »
Definitely not Thames sailing barges.

The dolphin strikers, bob-stays and the lines of the bow are distinctly un-TSB like.

TSBs don't have fixed bowsprits.
Rust never sleeps

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #32 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »
I sailed on the Churchill once (1975 iirc), we ended up sailing up the Thames into the pool of London.
That would have been superb I guess. Did you sail up the river ?

Yes, we started off in Southampton, sailed down to Alderney, back up round to Rotterdam (had to spend half the night sailing up and down in a force 10 until the canal opened) then back down to the Thames and along to London.

What did the sign in the chain locker say? "Character Building"

Then when I got home I found out my girlfriend had ditched me.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:49:40 pm »
I'd cheerfully disembowel the person who first thought the best use of a front garden was for parking their car. Then work through the rest.
No need to disembowel them. Just bury them up their shoulders, dad-on-beach style, then tarmac. Job done.

Presumably then, someone can park one of the usual depressingly ugly* and oversized modern cars on top of them.

*it's not just me is it, car manufacturer's genuinely are having a competition to make the most distressingly fugly car, something that's ninety per cent bulging light clusters and looks like a fat dinosaur has sat on it.
I remember an artist flatmate 25 years ago lamenting what a waste of opportunity to make something good looking cars were.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #35 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:04:34 am »

Its not just you. My landrover is positively good looking compared with crap like a Nissan joke juke
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:19:26 am »
Those bulging light clusters are a pet peeve of mine. Just because the technology allows it, doesn't make it obligatory.

Fashion eh ??
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
It's those weird steroidal cars, all proptotic lights and strange bulges, I presume it's supposed to tick a box for the modern blokeish car consumer. Ironically, they look dated already. Like their drivers, all their bulges in are in the wrong places.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:40:53 am »

While some of the fugliness arises from the new laws that pertain to what happens to,pedestrians when you run them over during a momentary lapse of concentration such as posting on Instachat or telling your Facegram chums what you had for breakfast - this being why most new cars' front end styling now looks like a Mark 1.5 Transit - there is no excuse for the front lights on a Several,of different Nissans or the whole idea of the Toyota C-HR.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #39 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:30:03 am »
I still think the Ford Capri was the epitome of vehicular elegance. I can't see one without wanting to grow a perm and slide myself over the bonnet.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:55:55 pm »
The Capri was a practical load carrier, unlike more 'modern' cars which are enormous yet unable to accommadate more than a bag of sugar.

Special mention for the CH-R, enormous but singularly incapable of carrying a full sized hoomin in the rear seat. A lot of 'modern' interiors are somewhat claustrophobic, too.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »
I still think the Ford Capri was the epitome of vehicular elegance. I can't see one without wanting to grow a perm and slide myself over the bonnet.
I've never had the urge to grow a perm, but I did once slide myself over the bonnet of a Ford Capri!  :-)

Sadly I then slid myself up the windscreen and across the roof before being deposited on my arse on the road behind it!  ::-) :( The bike i *was* riding immediately previous bounced across the road and ended up wedged under the front end of a handily located ambulance.

The Capri was a practical load carrier, unlike more 'modern' cars which are enormous yet unable to accommadate more than a bag of sugar.
I did once manage to get a BBb Contrabass Tuba (in it's somewhat voluminous hard case! All up weight roughly 3 stone!) into the back seat of a friend's Capri. (not the same one as above, obviously!!) It didn't do much for what little handling the Capri had to start with, either!

Edit: Both of these occurred in East London - the first at the A118 Romford Road/A114 Upton Lane junction in Forest Gate, the other in Barking at the old North East London Poly site on the A124 Longbridge Road.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:11:48 pm »

See!  Everyone who took the piss out of me for driving one in the early 90s can go and boil their heads  :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #43 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:27:30 pm »
Which TV character was it in the 70s/80s who drove an orange Capri? My branez were telling me Starsky and Hutch had one but Mr Google says not only was this a Ford Torino, it was not even orange.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #44 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:46:25 pm »
I think Mr Google is correct on that score. I can't remember anybody from then with an orange Capri.

One of Bodie or Doyle drove a silver Capri in the professionals.  Mr. Google tells me that it was Bodie, and it was a 3.0S which sold for £55,000 in 2016.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #45 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:05:33 am »
I think Terry McCann had a Mark II for a while in "Minder", but not an orange one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #46 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:48:51 am »
Gene Hunt had an orange Grotina in Life on Mars. I think.
It is simpler than it looks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #47 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:13:07 am »
'Roman Bronze' methinks.

And what a dog's breakfast it was. GXL trim exterior - clear indicators, twin headlights. All pre facelift, with a 2000E interior and the wrong dashboard. Ringer.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2019, 01:02:09 am »
He was a bit of ringer himself, thobut, n'est ce pas?