Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 197603 times)

simonp

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #850 on: 06 July, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »
Good luck, all you brave souls!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #851 on: 06 July, 2017, 03:25:38 pm »
Think it is Called the Albert and Lion.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #852 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »
About 15 of us have trickled into the Premier Inn and dined well at the Beefeeter. And so to bed. Tomorrow we attempt BPB (Bispham-Pennines-Bispham).

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #853 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
Good luck everyone!

« Reply #854 on: 06 July, 2017, 11:45:16 pm »
Good luck everyone!
I second that. Been there, done that, not bought the t-shirt, not read the book, but bought the jersey, and a part of me wishes I was dreading the sufferfest again!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #855 on: 07 July, 2017, 10:45:00 am »
Good luck to everybody. I've been sorting out some drone filming for the LEL on the Barnard Castle to Alston section, so I'm thinking where they'd work best on the Mille Pennines.

I never have got  around to filming in the North York Moors, it being a 300 mile round trip. If anyone does film over there, it could be combined with the 2016 footage to give a feel of the whole event.

« Reply #856 on: 07 July, 2017, 11:38:17 am »
2 days before this event I come down with Tonsillitis and have been prescribed Penicillin. Gutted I can't take part. I've been looking forward to this all year.

My riding buddy will be carrying the spot tracker, looks like I'll be an armchair audaxer this weekend  :(

Best of luck to all those taking part, dare I say even the weather looks good.

Spot Tracker URL for those who are interested in a bit of dot watching, I know I will be.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0UluoN1GtdbmXokkhaJ44s9IabUMvvUvb

« Reply #857 on: 07 July, 2017, 11:48:33 am »
The two green shadings on the tracking map are for areas of outstanding natural beauty, and national parks. The high proportion of those areas on the route is what makes the ride so special, and so difficult, as those areas tend to be hilly, with small roads.
It's the main-road sections that make the ride doable, the spacing of the tracking intervals should demonstrate that. If you don't make good speed on the A6, it's time to worry.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #858 on: 07 July, 2017, 02:49:40 pm »
Thanks for all the good wishes for the event.

68 riders started the 2nd Mille Pennines 1000 from Bispham at 10:00 am this morning.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #859 on: 08 July, 2017, 01:03:35 pm »
A beautiful day here in Sedbergh with lighter wind than yesterday. Good riding conditions to tackle the northern loop. All but 3-4 starters headed out for the day, 1-2 rode through after a feed last night. Most stopped and used the great facilities at Sedbergh School. First riders expected back early evening, possibly!

« Reply #860 on: 08 July, 2017, 01:23:24 pm »
Sounds good. Andy has a knack for finding nice controls at short notice.

Andy Corless

« Reply #861 on: 08 July, 2017, 02:33:43 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, 62 riders out of 68 starters are still going. The weather appears to be kinder than last year. On my way back to Sedbergh soon.

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #862 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:08:32 am »
Midnight update:

19 riders have made it back to Sedbergh for the second time and 12 have dropped out.

Andy Corless

« Reply #863 on: 09 July, 2017, 05:52:41 am »
Heavy heartedly I have decided to drop out. Made it back at 2320 last night but haven't stopped shivering since and am feeling decidedly shoddy. Bon route to all heading out this morning, especially Jason who dragged my ass around yesterday's monster leg!
You are all superheroes!

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #864 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:17:03 am »
Hello all. I'm tucked up in a B&B in Bellingham 15 miles south of Kilelder. It took me 15 hrs to ride the first 155K of Day 2 and I just wasn't in a fit state to continue. So I'm completing day 2 today riding back to Sedburgh (missing out Day 3 of course) and then riding back to Blackpool.

Tim on the ElliptiGO was one of those 12 people that made it back before midnight yesterday. That goes down as an absolutely remarkable performance on an ElliptiGO. The man is a mountain goat!!

See you in Sedburgh people
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Andy Corless

« Reply #865 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:30:55 am »
44 riders are still going. 8 have made it back to Sedbergh (925 km) for the third time
 so 36 riders are on their way here.

Andy Corless

« Reply #866 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:04:33 am »
I wore my MP jersey on the Buzzard over the weekend, in honour of you brave souls.

When I was at the pub in the forest last year, it was a tough decision to carry on, especially when others who packed tucked into pints. I left at control closing time, and rode through the night. that last section was harder than I'd imagined, and had I known I'd be riding 'til around 7am (I think), I might have decided otherwise.

Hats off to you for giving it a go, and I'm sure you'll be back if Andy does it again.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #867 on: 10 July, 2017, 11:59:58 am »
Thanks for a great event Andy. And a very warm thanks to the volunteers. Together you made for a most enjoyable weekend on the bike!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #868 on: 10 July, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »
After not riding it this year, I'm looking forward to reading various accounts of success/failure. Anybody who takes on Andy's rides (of any distance) knows what to expect ; it's just that the MP has more of everything to contend with!
p.s. I thought that the tandem pair of Steve & Laura were last on the road overnight but, as I was leaving Sedbergh about 8am after helping at the hall, I spotted 3 more riders heading into Sedbergh. Did they make it back in time?   

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #869 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:08:54 pm »
It was nice meeting up with some folk from this page and many more that perhaps lurk but don't post. An enjoyable weekend. I always knew it was going to be a very tall order to complete this event on the ElliptiGO but my mate Tim proved it can be done and in under 72 hours. Remarkable performance. I enjoyed my outing and finding my limits this time around. So thats 3 out of 3 DNFs/out of time on AC events (Pendle/Heartbeat/MP). Will I keep coming back until I finish one. Probably but not making an decisions now. If AC does a 200K I might be tempted and I could even bring a proper bike :-D
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

« Reply #870 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:31:49 pm »
You're as tough as old boots, Stu. It's hard enough on a proper bike.

« Reply #871 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
It was nice meeting up with some folk from this page and many more that perhaps lurk but don't post. An enjoyable weekend. I always knew it was going to be a very tall order to complete this event on the ElliptiGO but my mate Tim proved it can be done and in under 72 hours. Remarkable performance. I enjoyed my outing and finding my limits this time around. So thats 3 out of 3 DNFs/out of time on AC events (Pendle/Heartbeat/MP). Will I keep coming back until I finish one. Probably but not making an decisions now. If AC does a 200K I might be tempted and I could even bring a proper bike :-D

Tan Hill 200!

« Reply #872 on: 10 July, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »
My review
Taking on this route is not for the fainthearted or underprepared.  I don’t consider I was either of those, but this one was a ride too much me.  I finished Andy Corless’ Tan Hill 600 just inside the time limit last year, so had some idea of the task ahead of me.  The distance alone I’m sure I could deal with, though this was a trip into new territory and all the hills add in another dimension.  Ultimately however looking back at that ride last year I was quicker and the climbing was slightly more for 600 rainsoaked kilometres, and so I can’t say what led me to be unable to keep up my average speed when I ‘only’ completed 580km in pretty good conditions this time round.

The first loop went by in usual style for me, 251 hilly Lake District kilometres in 13 hours to 23:00 (average 19.3kph) and I felt in fine fettle despite a dampish day with a sunnier finish.  I slept poorly though (no airbeds left by the time I got in the hall; sorry to the poor soul in the dark who was occupying what I thought was an empty bed, I hope I didn’t disturb you too badly) on the cricket net mat.

On the road to Hawes at around 04:00, in the company of Chris.  I felt a little slow but not yet feeling the inability to press pedals which would come later.  What a fantastic day for the North Pennines to show off their best: continuous sunshine and as many views and creatures as the eye could take in.  The Durham Dales Centre in Stanhope supplied a great All-Day Breakfast.  Bob Bialek rode strongly past me on the road out of Weardale, reporting a 13km unintended detour without which he would no doubt have passed me sooner!
Hexham was a trial: stomach not feeling good, rode through town unable to decide on what to eat.  Out the other side and knew I needed something, short retrace to Tesco for a Pasta bowl and a natural yogurt which settled things a bit.

I arrived at Kielder, had a decidedly 3/10 Chicken Tikka Masala at the pub (friendly service though and at least the food was fuel), and the receipt showed I was but a minute inside the time limit.  I knew from the way my legs had been refusing to turn anything but my lowest gear (34/34) up any significant (or insignificant) incline that there was no point in adding to my collection of receipts.  An old Achilles inflammation had been nagging at me since around Wrynose on Day One too and it wasn’t any less irritable now.  But I didn’t want to just quit, so I made the decision to complete the circuit back to Sedburgh at less than randonneur pace.  Shortly after I caught up with Barry for a few kilometres and joined him for a coffee in The Grapes Hotel in Newcastleton, making a tough call to press on, leaving before envy of his dinner and a bed for the night got the better of me.

I was a solo cyclist again now, experiencing a memorable wilderness ride on 15km of deserted tarmac across from Newcastleton to Langholme in the setting sun with a rising full moon and a view back to the Golf Ball on the hill above Kielder.  Then the A7 to Carlisle.  Why was that North-westerly headwind, which I’d been looking forward to becoming a tailwind on the home stretch, now a Southerly?  No matter, I was riding at my own pace now, so a little slower made no odds.

McDonald’s in Carlisle with the revellers for a welcome bellyful and inebriated, wide eyed responses about where I'd come from and where I was going.  I was lucky here: about 20 minutes later and they’d have been closed: I was locked in at 01:00.

Penrith passed by, then the first Audax hotel loomed.  The seat was a little too narrow and/or fitted too closely to its bus shelter wall and after about fifteen minutes unconscious refreshment I rolled rudely onto the floor and wakefulness again.  Slightly further, getting light now and another bus shelter stop: I didn’t actually have the dozies but could tell I wasn’t far off and not safe to ride without another kip.

Through Tebay tiredness got the better of me again: 20 minutes, this time on a grassy verge in my bivvy sack.  Then the final 17km or so to Sedburgh, arriving around 07:30.  Twenty-seven and a half hours for 327.5km, average 11.9kph: no way could I have finished the whole event in the time.
Breakfast (thanks Steve), shower and the whole Sports Hall to myself on an airbed for five hours: blissful!

There are a few people I need to thank, and apologies for anyone I have missed.

Andy Corless, for providing the opportunity, the organising of an event like this is no small undertaking.

Andrew Fleck, for your very convivial road companionship on Day One.  Thank you also for the late provision of the school for the central control, without that I think the event would have been in jeopardy?  What a venue too: showers, room to spread out at the sleepover, comfortable spacious eating place: Audax luxury.  Also for the provision of tools: your 4mm allen key made it easier for me to turn the side-loading bottle cage I’d installed in a hurry before the start the right way up!!  I’m pleased to say that was my only mechanical, shoes excepted…

Matt, for the zip tie at Tan Hill Inn to fix the detaching sole from my shoe, and then also the unknown couple at the same venue for the gaffer tape to bolster the repair and reinforce the same problem on the other shoe: without those items the shoes would have given out in inhospitable and remote country and I’d not have finished the second loop.  That serves me right for swapping off the road pedals and Specialized shoes for SPDs and my £20 Crane Sports (i.e. Aldi!) commuting footwear in anticipation of needing to walk a few steep passes.

Dean Clementson (Deano), some readers will have guessed from the location of said footwear repairs that I followed your advice for the route.  I also made use of some of your food suggestions, so thanks.  Sadly I couldn’t try the Copshaw Kitchen in Newcastleton as I arrived around 20:30, after closing.  Also for your gift of time and effort to man the pumps and kettles, etc. at Sedbergh, along with the other volunteers.  I spoke to Steve, Martin and John (I hope your knee recovers), no doubt I have missed many of you: I’m grateful for your assistance.

Barry, for your company riding after Kielder into Newcastleton.  It was a close (very close!) call not to join you at The Grapes Hotel, my belly still being partly full of 3/10 curry gave me just (only just!) enough resolve to press on and not stay to consume food and ale for the night.  And for the offer of a lift home which I didn't have to take up.

The drunken fuckwit outside McDonald’s in Carlisle (they wouldn’t let me take the bike inside), for managing not to wreck my bicycle/lock/table combination while attempting to ride it around the car park!

My lovely wife Lucy, for driving up and collecting me: I guess I could have ridden to Bispham to try the strike addled railway system home with a bike in tow, but I’m sure glad I didn’t have to try it.

That’s all for now…
Tim.

« Reply #873 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:18:57 am »
Chapeau Tim!  I think we were in a similar state of fatigue after Kielder; the lure of the B&B and a cold pint of Guinness got the better of me, but you showed guts and determination (and a little madness) to press on into the night and make it back to Sedburgh. Hope to see you there next year!  Barry

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #874 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:52:28 am »
I can't believe you didn't finish Tim! I expect my zip-tie back, what a waste.

Meanwhile, I can report that the "Mille Pennines 700k" was a most enjoyable - if strenuous - event. Very grateful to Andy, all his able assistants (and the staff of Sedbergh school!) for all their efforts. I had a cracking trip, thanks  :thumbsup:

Highlights* would probably be the gorgeous views like from the top of Buttertubs that were new to me, and that gorgeous (surprisingly gentle) road over Langholm Moor in the evening sun. And of course the craic. And seeing some very able riders looking utterly f**ked-but-happy later on.

I'm very glad I missed the RBH leg - all those 25% ups/downs sound tedious (as well as leg-busting time pits). Massive respect for everyone that rode out there (I suspect anyone that reached the coast also finished the 1000k in time - TBC ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles