Author Topic: Sexist remarks......  (Read 4780 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
Re: Sexist remarks......
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:04:30 am »
I think I shall just revert to 'Wazzock'.  No one here knows what it means, but they kinda get the idea it ain't a compliment.

Confusion in the brains of the simple-minded is our friend.

Youve called me a wazzock in the past should I have been more offended.? :o

I tend to call people fuckwits I dont consider it gender specific.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #26 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:07:40 am »
Sexist comments, not abusive comments. I can do abuse reasonably well.

I agree with you on that one.

rae

« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:14:05 am »
If you say to a woman "I wouldn't f*ck you" and expect that to be a put-down, you're basically saying two things:  firstly "I have a very high opinon of my own sexual allure, and I believe women will be upset or insulted when I say I don't want to have sex with them," and secondly "This is an insult because women are only worth judging on their sexual appeal, because all they're good for is sex." 

However the reality is that such remarks demonstrably hit home, particularly with women.    I would actually think of "I wouldn't shag you", but being rude about their size or attractiveness (or any other physical feature) sends the average punter into an incandescent rage.

Simple example - get cut up by a woman and go on the fat offensive.   Conversation (if you can call it that), veers onto the "I'm not fat" tangent which shows your're reeling them in.   Keep hitting them with more personal abuse and you can really send them over the edge.     

Blokes on the other had don't rise so easily.   You can call a bloke a fat c**t, and you just get a "fugggorrfyouwankaaaaa" in return.  Not nearly as much fun. 

« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:15:53 am »
I think I’m with Liz. There’s no need for it.

Is Wazzock an Opp Norf thing? In that case I have no idea how my Londoner family came to use it, my mum was always calling me a daft wazzock…maybe she heard it on Emmerdale!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:21:39 am »
'Wazzock', or to give it it's full Capstickian glory, 'Parrot-faced spawny-eyed wazzock', is, indeed, one of those elusive northern expressions, such as 'bugger', which can have a variety of meaning, from a term of endearment (onb, please note ;)) to an extreme of abuse.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:25:25 am »
I find that calling blokes a "shit-eating donkey rapist" usually works the best...

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:26:22 am »
...and for the ladies...? ;D
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:35:12 am »
It's hard to hit the mark with spontaneous remarks so rehearsing something non-gender specific is helpful. I don't think sexism is any more acceptable than racism in these circumstances and I'd suggest that we would be asking for trouble if we exercised the latter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:37:07 am »
Cunobelin's calling a bad lady driver in an ASL a bicycle is about the funniest, cleverest, and most offensive abuse I've read about in ages.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #34 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:37:38 am »

Shit eating donkey fucker?

Works for either gender.

<segues neatly into "Shut your fucking face donkey fucker...">

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #35 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:38:43 am »
If you say to a woman "I wouldn't f*ck you" and expect that to be a put-down, you're basically saying two things:  firstly "I have a very high opinon of my own sexual allure, and I believe women will be upset or insulted when I say I don't want to have sex with them," and secondly "This is an insult because women are only worth judging on their sexual appeal, because all they're good for is sex."

For once Liz I'm going to have to say I disagree with you and I think that's over-analysed but my heads feeling too mushy to argue the point coherently, and certainly not with someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

EDIT: though I take Wow's point if you replace the sexism with racism, so maybe I do agree. Damn this fecking cold!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:47:10 am »

If I was really pissed off, I'd probably call her a "dogfelching, rimjobbing cockwomble"

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #37 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:48:29 am »

For once Liz I'm going to have to say I disagree with you and I think that's over-analysed but my heads feeling too mushy to argue the point coherently, and certainly not with someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

EDIT: though I take Wow's point if you replace the sexism with racism, so maybe I do agree. Damn this fecking cold!

It is overanalysed, and yes, if you call someone an unshaggable old mare, you're probably not analysing what's behind the sentiments any more than "she's pissed me off."

But the implication that a woman's worth is in her sexual appeal is behind the concept that the most hurtful thing you can say to her is an insult directed at her sexual appeal / weight / likelihood that she's the town bicycle.

If you take away that implication, it's no more hurtful than a five-year-old saying "You're not coming to my birthday party."  The force behind it is inextricably linked to an assumption that she, like you, measures her value in sexual appeal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:49:04 am »
I don't remember Bernard Cribbins ever mentioning a cockwomble.  Is that one of the newer ones? ;D

Splendid chaining of expletive, btw :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #39 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:50:32 am »
It's hard to hit the mark with spontaneous remarks so rehearsing something non-gender specific is helpful. I don't think sexism is any more acceptable than racism in these circumstances and I'd suggest that we would be asking for trouble if we exercised the latter.

Exactly. If people are happy to use someone's sex as grounds for abuse, why not the colour of their skin?

Call them a braindead pissweasel fuckpuppet shit eating donkey fucking cunting knobjockey if you want, get cards printed up with it to hand out to moronic drivers, but if you wouldn't tell a black driver that his driving skills are poor because he came from the jungle, don't blame a woman's bad driving on her being a woman.

Also, what Liz said.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:51:32 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:54:07 am »
If someone has antagonised me enough for me to be swearing at them (which is very rare), I really couldn't care if I use non-PC terms in my invective (unless it's my boss).

I try to avoid being that pissed off, but sometimes I fail, usually because someone else has failed in showing me respect (e.g. for my safety).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #42 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:54:31 am »

It is overanalysed, and yes, if you call someone an unshaggable old mare, you're probably not analysing what's behind the sentiments any more than "she's pissed me off."

But the implication that a woman's worth is in her sexual appeal is behind the concept that the most hurtful thing you can say to her is an insult directed at her sexual appeal / weight / likelihood that she's the town bicycle.

If you take away that implication, it's no more hurtful than a five-year-old saying "You're not coming to my birthday party."  The force behind it is inextricably linked to an assumption that she, like you, measures her value in sexual appeal.

Mind you, I'm in the camp that can't really think that quickly with these things (and actually very very infrequently even resort to swearing at people, not even the guy who tried to sideswipe me - who, incidentally, I wouldn't shag either).

... linked to an assumption that she, like you, measures her value in sexual appeal.

I'm a lanky fecker with a big nose and a stupid smile who didn't get laid till he was almost 21 and has had less partners than can be counted on one hand. If I measured my value in sexual appeal I'd be a quivering wreck in the corner.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:55:57 am »
If I was really pissed off, I'd probably call her a "dogfelching, rimjobbing cockwomble"

Genius  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #44 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:57:43 am »
I think I might print some of these insults onto cards and have them laminated ready for use.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #45 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:57:52 am »

Mind you, I'm in the camp that can't really think that quickly with these things (and actually very very infrequently even resort to swearing at people, not even the guy who tried to sideswipe me - who, incidentally, I wouldn't shag either).

... linked to an assumption that she, like you, measures her value in sexual appeal.

I'm a lanky fecker with a big nose and a stupid smile who didn't get laid till he was almost 21 and has had less partners than can be counted on one hand. If I measured my value in sexual appeal I'd be a quivering wreck in the corner.

I simply can't believe that...  :P :-*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #46 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:02:08 pm »
I simply can't believe that...  :P :-*

Awwwww!  :P

But, the progression of Anth. First pic, bottom line, I looked like that for a looooooooooong time.

Back to the OP and debate: I wonder if a lot comes down to how women and men see things. If the driver had been male, and the cyclist female, she probably wouldn't have uttered something about not shagging it because it was old, but even if she had he would probably have just grabbed his crotch or summat and made a lewd comment in return.

Mars, Venus and all that jazz.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #47 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:02:19 pm »

We're talking about an entirely hypothetical sexist chap who measures HER value in sex, not his!  I'm not accusing you of being Sid the Sexist yourself. 

:-*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:04:10 pm »
Might I suggest that we all take a trip to a new thread in NSFW now...?

::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #49 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:05:32 pm »

But, the progression of Anth. First pic, bottom line, I looked like that for a looooooooooong time.

Well, we were all mingers at that age. You're not exactly hideous now.