Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105197 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #300 on: 05 November, 2014, 10:01:36 am »
The thought crossed my mind.  I am likely to be travelling back from the Holyhead Ferry earlier in the week with the two CET Juniors, so I could in theory leave a drop bag or something, but that sort of forces me to stick to a plan.  On a good day 400km in Cambrian territory would take me 20 - 21 hours, on an off-day it would take me 22 - 23.  That's why the bivi option strikes me as a good one.  I did this on the 4D many years ago - just in the emergency plastic survival bag I used to carry with me, and should have done something similar on the 4C, instead of just having a cat-nap by the side of the road.  On the lanes in Wales there are plenty of places to pull the bike well off the road and get some undisturbed kip.  And it keeps things lightweight.  But plans are still very much in the air at the moment except for the dates which are now on the wall planner and therefore CANNOT BE CHANGED  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #301 on: 11 December, 2014, 06:03:18 pm »
Just browsing (you understand of course) the 10A and it seems to me that the time allowed is a little well........er tight, to say the least.

Is this now some kind of super duper grimp fest 1015km in 71hrs and a whole 3 minutes ?

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/CB35/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #302 on: 11 December, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
That looks like a 14.3kph time. I would have thoughtb you'd get 13.3kph min for events over 699km,  but the Organiser may get discretion.
75hrs is about the usual 1000km BRM time limit - that seems fair for a perm! Its unusal for a perm to have a higher min speed than the equiv cal event.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #303 on: 11 December, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »
CET's guidance notes for the C10A available on the AUK website state "The total time allowed for the ride would be 76hr 19m at average speed 13.3km for 1015km". 75 hours is usual time limit for 1000km as Matt says ^^.

Enjoy the ride. But shirley you're not planning a winter attempt?!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #304 on: 11 December, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
Thanks chaps, I was getting worried there.

A winter attempt.............Now that would be a bit chilly.

Anyways, I did mention I was just browsing during an idle moment.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #305 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:24:38 pm »
^Just browsing?

The Cambrian Series SR sounds like a good bit of fun to me.

Methinks an attempt is in the offing. :)
Mojo is being awakened.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #306 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »
The time appearing for the rides is a new thing on the AUK website and I presume that whoever set up the alogrithm didn't factor in the slower time limits for 1000km events.  I seem to be in limbo on the website probably because I've just renewed my membership so can't check if I can alter the speeds.

Rest assured that the time available is 76hr 19min.  The ride has been completed twice, once by Swiss Hat and once by Teethgrinder, both of this parish.  There have been three other attempts, one gave up with knee travel after c400km and 2 gave up 17km into the wettest weekend in Wales for a century, where a campsite in Twywn made the national news for pictures of floating tents so they wouldn't have got round without oxygen tanks and periscopes.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #307 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:28:54 pm »
Well, you can rule out a winter attempt as the 6A in October was cold enough.

« Reply #308 on: 12 December, 2014, 02:42:04 pm »
Well, you can rule out a winter attempt as the 6A in October was cold enough.

Well, it would have been if it wasn't for wonderful heated toilet blocks.....

*snuggles
Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #309 on: 12 December, 2014, 02:45:26 pm »
It's all in the planning, Rabbit. ::-) #Gottoloveatoiletblock

« Reply #310 on: 12 December, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

^conker that  :thumbsup:

TBH the biggest problem in October/winter is the darned lack of open youth hostels. 

« Reply #311 on: 12 December, 2014, 04:37:08 pm »
I seem to be in limbo on the website probably because I've just renewed my membership ...

What?

« Reply #312 on: 12 December, 2014, 07:33:26 pm »

^conker that  :thumbsup:

TBH the biggest problem in October/winter is the darned lack of open youth hostels.

I wouldn't let that put you off riding the 10A.
There's the Metropole Hotel in Llandrindod Wells, which has been used for AUK AGMs. You could use that as a base for the 3 loops. Even so, if you're ride turns out to be like mine, you'll only get one night's sleep.
My best tip is to use the main roads as much as possible instead of doing the opposite as I did, which probably cost me time.
Swiss Hat took a more sensible route than I did and rode it on gears as well. He got more sleep than I did.
It's probably in my top 3 toughest events that I've ridden.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #313 on: 13 December, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »
Anyone got a GPX track for the 6B ?

I may need to do a bit of a warm up. ::-)

SkidBr

• Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
« Reply #314 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:10:26 pm »
Just been looking at the 3A with a view to having a  go when things warm up a bit. Clockwise or Anticlockwise?   Both look to have their pros and cons but whats the view of the panel :-\ 
It wiil be my first time in Wales so I'd be grateful to hear the thoughts of those in the know.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #315 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:18:03 am »
I did 3a anticlockwise, starting near abergaveny. Then Chepstow > Monmouth > Hay etc. Avoid Painscastle after Hay by following the B road on the eastern back of the Wye, tho it adds a few km. Anti clockwise means a long gradual descent back into Brecon and Abergaveny near the end of the ride.

This is the route I pretty much did: http://bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=https://sites.google.com/site/youngadamski/gpx/perms/C3A.gpx
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

SkidBr

« Reply #316 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:24:15 pm »
Cheers Adamski. Thanks for the route  :thumbsup:

What is the short secton at about 154km like just before Pont-rhyd-y-groes that passes alongside the Ystwyth river? On the map it looks like it is an off road path with no entry signs at either end. Is it a cycle path and if so whats  the surface like?   

« Reply #317 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:27:55 pm »
I think its a mistake. I've ridden the road section above it on many occasions on several audaxes but I'm not aware of a rideable path.

EDIT: just looked on streetview and there is a gate and a gravel path. It would avoid a nasty hill I think, but I'm sure Adam will be along to clarify

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #318 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:53:50 pm »
The Cambrian routes are free, so if you do find a gravel track that does the job then you are free to use it.  I had a look on Google Maps, limited because even the regular route up the B4343 (familiar from the Elenydd) doesn't have street view after the turn to Cwnystwyth, and would suspect that, even though the roads have 30m more climbing you'd be quicker on tarmac.

« Reply #319 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:02:43 pm »

What is the short secton at about 154km like just before Pont-rhyd-y-groes that passes alongside the Ystwyth river? On the map it looks like it is an off road path with no entry signs at either end. Is it a cycle path and if so whats  the surface like?   

Just stick to the road.  It's steep but you won't crash...

I've only ever done the ride clockwise.  It's the best 300 route imaginable, perhaps the Scottish option aside, and were it not for the excellence and tradition of the established Elenith and its younger, and linguistically advanced, brother Yr Elenydd, I'd have probably put it on as a calendar event from Chepstow or Tintern.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #320 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »
Yeah, it'll be a mistake.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #321 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »

Just stick to the road.  It's steep but you won't crash...

I've only ever done the ride clockwise.  It's the best 300 route imaginable, perhaps the Scottish option aside, and were it not for the excellence and tradition of the established Elenith and its younger, and linguistically advanced, brother Yr Elenydd, I'd have probably put it on as a calendar event from Chepstow or Tintern.

The 3A was done anti-clockwise on a tandem!  I asked them how they fared on the Devil's Staircase and they said they had good disk brakes and needed them.

SkidBr

« Reply #322 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:27:36 pm »
Thanks chaps. Really looking forward to this now. Roll on Summer 8)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #323 on: 24 February, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
Well, it's time to blow off the winter cobwebs and dust it down, as it's nearing Cambrian time.

First up then is a social amble, taking in the scenery of the 2A from Hay in the company of jamesld8, on the 20th March for a warm up to The Cambrian Classic on the 21st.

Anyone care to join a social outing to stretch the legs with a bit of grin and bear it thrown in?

« Reply #324 on: 24 February, 2015, 04:45:58 pm »
Well, it's time to blow off the winter cobwebs and dust it down, as it's nearing Cambrian time.

First up then is a social amble, taking in the scenery of the 2A from Hay in the company of jamesld8, on the 20th March for a warm up to The Cambrian Classic on the 21st.

Anyone care to join a social outing to stretch the legs with a bit of grin and bear it thrown in?

Chances of me getting the time off work = slim to non-existent.  However, if I have a 'reporting day' I may be able to do a deal, and work the Sunday instead.  Let me get back to you on that.  I have a number of Cambrian Entries I can convert and the 2A really is one of the best rides out there.  Which direction you planning on?