Author Topic: Stupid accidents that got you to A&E!  (Read 5302 times)

Re: Stupid accidents that got you to A&E!
« Reply #50 on: 10 July, 2023, 11:27:07 pm »
Lost the tip of my right index finger.  Stupid and involved an ambulance and missing a few MM off my finger.

« Reply #51 on: 21 July, 2023, 07:36:56 pm »
Currently in hospital recovering from a suitably stupid accident (slipped over on some steps). But this is beaten hands down by another admission, who managed to get himself run over by his own treadmill. I really can't work out how that could happen.

« Reply #52 on: 21 July, 2023, 08:08:25 pm »
Real problem with the original peloton tread. Children died as I remember.

« Reply #53 on: 21 July, 2023, 09:26:30 pm »
Real problem with the original peloton tread. Children died as I remember.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a35888174/peloton-tragic-accident/#

How terribly sad. Seems off to have the end open, so allowing stuff and people to get pulled under.

« Reply #54 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:39:46 pm »
Decades ago I helped my dad grind a few large stumps down with a hired stump grinder. Not one of the modern ones on wheels that pivot up.  A completely hand held petrol monster they you kind of bounced down on the stump to bite in.  It had two rotating, toothed wheels that turned in a very vicious looking way.

Anyway, my turn using it I bounced it down OK a few times and it sprayed chips up OK.  Then for some reason it threw itself into the air pulling me with it.  Heading straight towards my dad's head.  He lept or more accurately fell backwards and it missed him fortunately. So very, very close!,,,
A great friend co-owned a tree surgery business in Kent at the time of the hurricane. More work than they could handle, and it carried on for a year or two after the event.

They had a stump grinder, but the clutch had failed, so rather than place it over the tree stump, engage the drive and lower it, they had to set it running, then work it backwards over the stump and lower.

He tried that on a damp day.

Slipped backwards, left foot went into the grinder. That put him in hospital for about six months, but they did at least manage to save his leg and foot.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #55 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:59:32 pm »
Perhaps that's why it's called a stump grinder...

(awards self Bad Taste Joke of the Day medal)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #56 on: 21 July, 2023, 11:09:15 pm »
Working in a Schweppes bottling factory between school & university, doing QC checks. Saw a jam on a conveyor while going round checking things & nobody dealing with it so lifted an access hatch, locked it open, leant over & moved the misplaced crate of bottles - & the hatch fell on my head. Hadn't locked it open properly.

Bleeding from my chin & feeling slightly dazed, I was driven to A&E by a colleague. Got my chin stitched up (still got a little scar) & was told to watch out for signs of concussion.

Back at work next day, rather embarrassed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #57 on: 21 July, 2023, 11:34:54 pm »
A few nights before my wedding (to my first and, sadly, late wife) my best man and I  got together at my flat to work on our speeches. We had a bottle of wine and as we were having a different wine for the second bottle I insisted on giving the glasses a quick wash. Why I didn't just get two fresh glasses out, I'll never know.

Unfortunately, while washing the glasses, one of them broke, slashing the big visible artery that runs from the arm into the wrist and which spouts blood like Old Faithful when disturbed.

Cue a trip to A&E, me getting married with a bloody great bandage on my wrist and both of us having to make up our speeches (they were rubbish) on the spot.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?