Author Topic: Stronger Hips & Backside  (Read 2791 times)

Stronger Hips & Backside
« on: 28 March, 2009, 07:01:11 pm »
Think I need to start working up some greater strength in my upper legs, hips, backside - could do with more muscle in these areas. 

Can anyone point me at exercises that I can build into a routine ?

Or any other suggestions most welcome, thanks,

Re: Stronger Hips & Backside
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
Easy - one word:  skating.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

annie

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:18:12 pm »
I have loads.  I have a couple of great books if you would like me to send them to you?

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »
Cycling helps.

Up hills.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:48:41 pm »
It's just a jump to the left.... :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:50:57 pm »
Re hips:  Find physiotherapy exercises given to patients recoving from a broken hip.  These work the hip differently and harder than you get from cycling.

I should do them again myself as I still suffer weakness from a broken hip of a few years ago, and cycling doesn't fix it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2009, 09:30:48 pm »

Thanks, but tried ice skating once, kept falling over and brusing.  At 6'2", my centre of gravity's not right, never really took to the idea ..... hogwash excuses I know, but there it is  :-[

I have loads.  I have a couple of great books if you would like me to send them to you?

Thanks Annie, but best save your postage.  I'm looking on the web and hope to find something similar to an article I remember in an MTB mag on 'Strenghtening Your Bum'.

Cycling helps.

Up hills.

Yes, I have a load of hills around here, I suppose I just need to cycle them more.

Re hips:  Find physiotherapy exercises given to patients recoving from a broken hip.  These work the hip differently and harder than you get from cycling.

Good idea, I'll look them up.  The challenge then is making sure we do them, suppose that's were discipline comes in  :-[ 

Thanks all !

inc

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »
Think I need to start working up some greater strength in my upper legs, hips, backside

Why do you think this.

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »

Thanks, but tried ice skating once, kept falling over and brusing.  At 6'2", my centre of gravity's not right, never really took to the idea ..... hogwash excuses I know, but there it is  :-[

Well, perhaps.  People do skating because it's hard, not because it's easy.  Balance and skill on skates comes with time and practice, as do buns of steel.  Everyone starts out thinking they have no balance, but it's rarely true.

Perhaps a better question is why do you want stronger hips, buns, and thighs, and what's the background?

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2009, 10:29:48 pm »
Why do you think this.

Perhaps a better question is why do you want stronger hips, buns, and thighs, and what's the background?

I've had a long term problem (ache) at the top of my left leg that drifts into my left buttock.  It's a soft tissue injury that I have never had properly diagnosed.  I'm 52 and it's slowly creeping up on me, thought I'd better start to work on it.  I had a similar issue in my left shoulder/back which I corrected simply by working hard on my front-crawl (early morning swimmer), thought that if I could find something for this problem then I might be able to fix that one too.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2009, 11:12:14 pm »

Good idea, I'll look them up.  The challenge then is making sure we do them, suppose that's were discipline comes in  :-[ 

Yes indeed, the exercises are as boring as hell  :'(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2009, 07:50:12 am »
If that's the case, then surely it would be best to spend a bit of money with a sports physio first?  At least he/she should be able to give you proper advice on what to do to rehabilitate your injury.  It'd be very easy to do exercises that don't help the problem, or make it worse, I'd have thought.

inc

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:32:13 am »
I agree with BM, it would be worth seeking out a decent physio to get an assessment. You say long term so it looks like it is not healing on it's own, so a bit of help from  the selection of torture implements  equipment the physio's have may help. It may also be the initial sign of arthritis, along with occasional  pain from the groin to the knee on the inside of the thigh.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2009, 02:15:07 pm »
I've been doing some yoga type exercises to help build lower back and core exercises, and it has helped, by back no longer aches on long of road mtb climbs. My wife and house mate do yoga so they have been helping me with different stretches but there are some good stretches on this site: Cycling Workouts: Improve Power And Balance - bicycling.com
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »
Thanks once again everyone - there's some good sense there and I'll work on it - appreciate your help  :)

« Reply #15 on: 04 April, 2009, 11:37:29 pm »
Squats.  Single best exercise for hips and glutes if you do them with feet wide apart and feet pointing outwards. Keep your weight back (think sitting in a chair) and your knees will track over your toes. 

With just body weight jump squats are awesome -   
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'