Author Topic: Wife need hip replacement...  (Read 3223 times)

Wife need hip replacement...
« on: 14 April, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »
..and hates hospitals. She's wondering a) how long she's likely to be "inside", and b) what sort of recuperation period can be expected once released.

Any info gratefully received.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Wife need hip replacement...
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2010, 03:31:27 pm »
..and hates hospitals. She's wondering a) how long she's likely to be "inside", and b) what sort of recuperation period can be expected once released.

Any info gratefully received.

Oh dear. I didn't have  a hip replacement, I had mine rebuilt. Crumbling Nick is yer man. Recuperation for me was about 10 weeks before I was cycling again, 6 before I was walking unaided.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2010, 03:33:29 pm »
Lots of lovely gen here at NHS Direct: Hip-replacement - Introduction
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »
Thanks Andy.

inc

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »
It mostly  depends on your wife. I had a Birmingham hip replacement ( BHR  same as Floyd Landis)  which is a bigger op, but  much better if you are active than a standard replacement I went in Friday lunchtime and came out Monday Morning.I slowly built up my walks, little and often, and was doing 8 miles a day after 5 weeks. Absolutely brilliant after years of pain.

Although I don't think it would be classed as keyhole surgery

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »
Thanks inc. I'm guessing that at 66 she'll be having a "normal" hip replacement rather than resurfacing.

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:27:27 pm »
it's not always so quick, my mum's about to go in for her fourth aged 66 (she has rheumatoid arthritis), her first one was when she was 42.  She's had quite slow recovery every time because bone around the cup part of the joint has had to be completely rebuilt using what sounds like plaster of paris, to give it time to heal she has to be 'no weight on it at all' for about 5-6 weeks, then gently building it up for another 6 or 8, then walking with a stick for a couple more months.

Fingers crossed it's a 'straightforward' one!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2010, 07:13:41 pm »
They'll probably want to get her into a pre-admission clinic beforehand, and they'll be able to answer all her questions then. They might ask you to take in the heights of all relevant surfaces - sofa/chair, bed, toilet, and measure the width of the bath from outside edge to outside edge, so that they can arrange any equipment she'll need so it's there before she comes home. If she's otherwise fit and well and they operate a hip pathway, she'll almost certainly be out in less than a week and should be absolutely fine within 6-12 weeks. Post-op limitations depend on what sort of new joint they give her and the angle the surgeon goes in at.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

inc

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2010, 07:46:38 pm »
They'll probably want to get her into a pre-admission clinic beforehand, and they'll be able to answer all her questions then.

For mine there was a pre-admission clinic which was very comprehensive even meeting the physio s and learning how to use crutches. They also give out an excellent manual giving all details about chair bed and toilet heights. They loan you things for putting sock on and a raised toilet seat. Closer to the op you go  in for a general medical including blood tests a cardiogram and MRSA swabs , interesting where they take the swabs from. ::-)
I think the problem with age and BHR is bone density and the cut off is normally 60 for men and 58 for women.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »
Actual hospital stays, depending on the type of replacement being undertaken, can be as short as 48 hours.  These days, the sooner that hip replacement patients are up and moving the better.  And the less time they spend in hospital the better - less chance of catching an HCAI or developing a DVT.

As others have said, the pre-admission clinic is probably the best place to get all the answers.  They normally have more time to sit and go through all the details than the consultant does in an outpatient clinic.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:15:53 pm »
They'll probably want to get her into a pre-admission clinic beforehand, and they'll be able to answer all her questions then. They might ask you to take in the heights of all relevant surfaces - sofa/chair, bed, toilet, and measure the width of the bath from outside edge to outside edge, so that they can arrange any equipment she'll need so it's there before she comes home. If she's otherwise fit and well and they operate a hip pathway, she'll almost certainly be out in less than a week and should be absolutely fine within 6-12 weeks. Post-op limitations depend on what sort of new joint they give her and the angle the surgeon goes in at.

This is pretty much what happened to my mum (63). She was out of hospital within a matter of days, then spent a number of weeks sitting only on one particular chair which was the correct height and getting around on crutches, then one crutch, then finally none. And then, maybe a couple or three months after the op (can't quite recall) she was allowed to drive again. I think it she could have done it earlier but wanted to hold off to make absolutely sure. She did get quite stiff if on her feet or sitting for protracted periods - regular movement seemed to help.

Dad told me he got sick of putting her socks on for her and doing all the cooking ( ::-)) so prepare yourself for being nursemaid for a while :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »
She should have been putting her own socks on using a stocking aid!

« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »
When I had my hip rebuilt I wasn't given anything to help me with my socks. Never saw an OT either, well not officially, my mates wife is one and she gave me some advice.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
It depends what sort of surgery you've had. For some prostheses and where the surgeon has gone in at a particular angle, hip precautions are no longer required, so you can put your socks on as normal. If you need to follow hip precautions, the main ones being no bending your hips past 90 degrees and no crossing your operated leg over the midline of your body, then you need a sock aid, a long handled shoe horn and probably a dressing stick.

« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:21:34 pm »
She should have been putting her own socks on using a stocking aid!

Maybe she just didn't tell dad that  :D

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
When I had a Charnley hip replacement at age 53 I was given an information sheet which advised among other things that post-op when indulging in sex I should remain the passive partner until advised otherwise by the surgeon.18 years later I am still waiting for further advice.However on the bright side it has done over 150,000 miles on the bike and Xray exam at follow up at 12 years showed no evidence of wear.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:36:56 am »

Thanks Kirst, if she doesn't get the answers we'll know what to ask!  She's not that botehred by the op itself, but time spent sitting with her sisted (who died of bone cancer) has made her dislike the hospital experience.  We're fortunate in that we're close to Stoke Mandeville for consultation, and Luton & Dunstable is rated "execellent" for hip replacements. She's also a bit peed off, as she's never smoked, is a size 10, and exercises, so wasn't expecting it to be so serious. On the plus side those factors should aid her recovery.  I'll just have to make sure she's kept well supplied with talking books for her stay.

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:23:42 pm »
I had my right hip replaced in 2004. It was done via BUPA and as I live alone I was in for a week.

Echo Kirsts advice on heights - I raised my bed on some wooden blocks. Got an orthopedic chair and was given a raised toilet seat and a sock putting on device. A long handled shoe horn is essential as are secure bannisters for the stairs and solid hand holds for the shower. I found a stool in the kitchen that I could rest on while cooking usefull.

Recuperation

Before I went in I rigged up an old skip step through ladies bike on the turbo and after a few days at home was able to use that. Back at work after 6 weeks and on the hybrid about the same time. Access to a swimming pool where you can walk up and down the shallowish end against the water resistance and with your body weight supported I found very good.

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2010, 10:20:49 am »
Well she had the op 3 weeks ago - in weds lunchtime, out sun lunchtime.  The thing she hasn't got is a sock putter-onner, but we're going to see the physio today and we'll ask about it - though up to now I've been it!  Plus the managing of compression stockings - no aid other than an "aide" can get those on and off!

Generally we think she's doing ok, but without a yardstick it's hard to judge. Certainly she feels frustrated at the things she can't do, and of course the scar's a bit obvious at the moment.

I guess unemployment has it's upsides - she'd never have managed here if I was working!

« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2010, 10:27:37 am »
Gosh, that sounds quick. Hope recovery goes well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #20 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
If the OT hasn't given you a sock aid, you could buy one like this  or this one for compression stockings . There's a knack to it, but once you've got the knack, it's easy.