Author Topic: Swine 'flu is back!  (Read 7390 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Swine 'flu is back!
« on: 23 December, 2010, 06:44:04 am »
One girl in the office is off with it, another has a son hospitalised because of it.  It may be a bit late to get vaccinated (places like Boots usually stop around the start of December), but worth a try - this season's shot includes the particular strain of H1N1 that was causing swine 'flu last year.

'Flu this season is disproportionately affecting the young.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Swine 'flu is back!
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:42:23 am »
Swine flu is back big time in some areas of the country - other areas seem less affected. What is scarier is that bird flu has also reared its ugly head...

But, interestingly, the majority of people of people who have been hospitalised as a result of flu have seasonal flu rather than pig pox.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LindaG

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:02:43 am »
A fair number of the hospitalised ones do have the pig pox, apparently.

Remember, last year it all started around September/October, so probably not too much to worry about yet.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:32:13 am »
It never went away, really. That's why it is included in this year's flu jab.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »
Everyone who is in a risk group - those with long term conditions, over-65s and pregnant women - should get their flu jab.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »
Nearly all shop workers I've spoken to have had a very bad cold which starts with a sore throat, then lots of coughing, phlegm, aching joints, a tight constriction of the chest and high temperature. Some cases develop into pneumonia. I've had it, the early symptoms are confusion and a feeling of pent-up aggression. So hard to tell apart from the approach of Christmas.

LindaG

« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »
That doesn't sound like swine 'flu.

« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2010, 02:11:27 pm »
That doesn't sound like swine 'flu.

Whatever it is there has been a lot of it about. Most accept it as a very bad cold and know that there will be no medical help, so it is not being reported, it disables you for at least 48 hours.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:30:00 pm »
Both barakta and I came down with it last year.  She ended up with a nasty secondary chest infection and I felt like death for two weeks, lost a scary amount of weight and then spent another month or so wheezing and coughing.  If you can get a flu jab, do so.  Preferably not hours before setting off to ride 200k though.

[Insert rant that I as an asthmatic am on the flu jab list, but barakta, in spite of being prone to respiratory infection, doesn't tick a neat box so has to argue with the computer via a GP to get one (and inevitably doesn't because that's hassle and she's got stuff to do).]

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »
Y'know, a letter to the GP along the lines of "I keep getting flu, please put me on the jab list" should be enough.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:53:38 pm »
The GPs are fine with giving her a jab, but she doesn't seem to make it onto the automatically generated list.  There's a not insignificant good-GPs-not-getting-on-with-the-computer factor at our surgery though.  I've had all sorts of repeat prescription and asthma review shenanigans as a result of them failing to press the right button.  Fortunately the receptionists are, atypically for the species, brilliant, and will endeavour to get such cockups resolved without having to waste everyone's time with a "we did a review three months ago but you didn't tell the computer" appointment.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2010, 04:56:46 pm »
Thing is, the system is set up so we are obliged to target our vaccines at the defined groups.  The automatic invites will be the people who are on that list.  There's not a Read Code for 'wants a flu jab but isn't on the list', I'm afraid.

The system might improve in the next couple of years.  But I doubt it.
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »
Thing is, the system is set up so we are obliged to target our vaccines at the defined groups.  The automatic invites will be the people who are on that list.  There's not a Read Code for 'wants a flu jab but isn't on the list', I'm afraid.

It's not so much "want" as "ENT surgeons x3 have said I *MUST* have it" "Every GP/Doctor/etc EVER says I should have it" - over half of my 46 count of general anaesthetics have been from ENT shenanigans.

There is supposed to be a code for something like "Chronic illness" rather than asthma/dire-beaties etc but finding it is the work of several nested clicky boxes etc.

I can book an appt to see /any/ GP and they'll give me it no question, I just haven't done it yet.

« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
Nearly all shop workers I've spoken to have had a very bad cold which starts with a sore throat, then lots of coughing, phlegm, aching joints, a tight constriction of the chest and high temperature. Some cases develop into pneumonia. I've had it, the early symptoms are confusion and a feeling of pent-up aggression. So hard to tell apart from the approach of Christmas.

This sounds like what we all had a week ago, thankfully without the pneumonia. Mrs Dan got it too, and she had last years nasty flu with the tamiflu and was hoping for some resistance (in the way that my grandmother had from many many years ago).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:23:32 pm »
I can book an appt to see /any/ GP and they'll give me it no question, I just haven't done it yet.
Arse, off yours, get.   ;)  There's buckets of the stuff out there, it's under-used this year for some reason.

Anyone got any idea why that is? ???

« Reply #15 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
Damn, my daughter is pretty sick, she has pretty much been in bed and not eaten for 3 days. even turned down a shopping trip  :o

I wonder if she has the piggy version of flu? I am ashthmatic and haven't had a flu jab yet this year ... part of the reason I haven't got round to it is when I had the jab 2 years ago I actually felt like I had the flu for 4 days afterwards, and there has been no block of days where I could afford to be out of action in the last 3 months.

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:37:54 pm »
But, interestingly, the majority of people of people who have been hospitalised as a result of flu have seasonal flu rather than pig pox.

Oddly enough, News 24 is reporting the opposite. Of the 27 deaths reported in today's figures, 24 are being reported as a consequence of H1N1.

I don't think these figures are that much different from normal winters (leaving aside the Swine Flu slant). Methinks the press are bored of snow and politicians.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:45:27 pm »
Arse, off yours, get.   ;)  There's buckets of the stuff out there, it's under-used this year for some reason.

Yes, I'd agree: Get a nurse appointment & just get jabbed; they shouldn't object.

Underused?  Our figures are looking better than normal, though we are pushing extra hard (I realised when i took my jumper off on arrival at the Christmas party that I still had my promotional t-shirt on :-[ ).

One thing we have noticed is that whereas normally we do well among LTC patients and not so well with fit over-65s, this year the over-65s have been coming in in droves, and the LTC cohort are low in uptake.  No reason we can discern ???
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »
It might just be regional then...

barakta

« Reply #19 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:16:36 pm »

On Xmas Eve?  I think they'd truly hate me.  So that'll have to wait till the new year when I can't afford to have the one-day-post-jab meh!  I might stick my nose in and ask if they're quiet or not - they are mostly for studes but that doesn't mean they've not let staff have a *well deserved* Xmas break time.  I do like this GP, they are mostly great.  Birmingham medical care is super, it's just the administration and organisation which is atrocious.

*eyeroll*  I think a lot of those who had the jabs last year haven't this yr because it was felt the whole Swine Flu thing was hyped out of proportion - a bit like Y2K.  I wonder if the jabbing actually is what kept it under control but IANAnEpidemiologist.

barakta

« Reply #20 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »

Yes, I'd agree: Get a nurse appointment & just get jabbed; they shouldn't object.

Will need to be a doc, the nurses will flap cos I'm "not on the list" and they're possibly not allowed to make a judgement given my 'chronic illness' is "obscure syndrome most doctors haven't heard of and like to be all smug having read up on it on the 2nd instance of meeting me"  ;D

As we live opposite I'll stick my nose round the door and see what they say, is easier than tormenting them with TextRelay which they are very good with but  :sick:

« Reply #21 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »
Just been talking to my sister, out of the five adults in the house 4 have the norovirus and 1 has the cold/flu thing. The baby is fine. They fly off for a cruise on Boxing Day and my Mum is supposed to be at their for Christmas Lunch, I like to keep things fluid to the last minute, so I'm pretty sanguine. The cough symptoms are excerbated by the dry air, Vicks in a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head and the bowl is the sort of thing that's worth a try.
A hot bath helps as well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:32:46 pm »
Yeah, you're right, Barakta.  Nurses aren't allowed to jab just anyone - they operate under what's called a Patient Group Direction for the defined categories; they need a Patient Specific Direction for you, but the GP appt should just be a formality; it's unlikely the GP will jab you - much more likely the Nurse.

As for post-jab effects: There shouldn't be any.
Getting there...

barakta

« Reply #23 on: 23 December, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
Yeah, you're right, Barakta.  Nurses aren't allowed to jab just anyone - they operate under what's called a Patient Group Direction for the defined categories; they need a Patient Specific Direction for you, but the GP appt should just be a formality; it's unlikely the GP will jab you - much more likely the Nurse.

I don't mind who does it, I think the newGP I don't know said she'd do it but that might be a figure of speech. 

As for post-jab effects: There shouldn't be any.

Yeah, that's the theory... I'm skeptical about such things.  I felt shitty for 24hrs after the last lot - even if it's psychosomatic....

« Reply #24 on: 23 December, 2010, 10:14:55 pm »
My daughter just popped up on my MSN (she is at her dad's tonight), made ma laugh :)

Mini-feline says (22:11)
i have all the symtpoms of flu
not swine flu just sesonal flu 
Feline says (22:11)
yes I know 
that is why I am avoiding u lmao
Mini-feline says (22:12)
oh thanks
Feline says (22:12)
ur welcome
Mini-feline says (22:12)
i ate some thing tonight though