Author Topic: Swine 'flu is back!  (Read 7387 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Swine 'flu is back!
« Reply #25 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:23:58 pm »
Yeah, that's the theory... I'm skeptical about such things.  I felt shitty for 24hrs after the last lot - even if it's psychosomatic....

It is, but that doesn't mean you aren't feeling bad...
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 24 December, 2010, 12:35:32 am »
Yeah, that's the theory... I'm skeptical about such things.  I felt shitty for 24hrs after the last lot - even if it's psychosomatic....

For 95 % of the time we all feel fine, just because we occasionally feel crap doesn't make health care the be all and end all. It does not make us immortal, which is a pity, but not a surprise.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:16:01 am »
FWIW, the reported side effects this time are less strident... which could mean that last year, they had psychosomatic heavy side effects because they were expecting a plague, and now they're just expecting flu, why, you'd expect fewer sides because it's not such heavy medicine.

(only just in jest)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 24 December, 2010, 09:35:25 am »
I can book an appt to see /any/ GP and they'll give me it no question, I just haven't done it yet.
Arse, off yours, get.   ;)  There's buckets of the stuff out there, it's under-used this year for some reason.

Anyone got any idea why that is? ???

I was due to have mine this week at work...

...but I've got a cold and so I can't have it until the New Year.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #29 on: 24 December, 2010, 02:45:44 pm »
I was due to have mine this week at work...

...but I've got a cold and so I can't have it until the New Year.

That was the other prob, I was 'promised it' when I was given Doxy for sinusitis, then I pretty much got two colds back to back the latter which lingered for ages.  GP said I could only have flu jab if I wasn't already ill...  Which in winter will be almost never.

« Reply #30 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:47:11 am »
I can book an appt to see /any/ GP and they'll give me it no question, I just haven't done it yet.
Arse, off yours, get.   ;)  There's buckets of the stuff out there, it's under-used this year for some reason.

Anyone got any idea why that is? ???

Maybe because the authorities managed not to notify people who need one ... as in my case?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:57:00 am »
The 'authorities' don't do it; it's up to individual practices, who spend a vast amount of time & energy on mailouts, text messages and ringing round, as well as reminders to callers in person or by phone and on prescription repeats, on top of promotion inside and (in our case) outside the surgery.  We still only get the same folk year after year generally.

FF, if you're in a target group, your GP is letting youdown badly, and letting him/herself down, too, as there is (a small amount of0 money attached to flu jabs.
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 27 December, 2010, 06:29:09 pm »

FF, if you're in a target group, your GP is letting youdown badly, and letting him/herself down, too, as there is (a small amount of0 money attached to flu jabs.

Somehow the message didn't get through (which surprised the practice when I called them) so maybe a letter got lost in the post or the telephone message or whatever never got through.  It was only seeing the item in the news that people hadn't taken-up their jab made me get-in contact.  Up to that point I was thinking that there were some 'technical' reason why I hadn't been called yet.
Anyway, when I called they quickly got me sorted.
I might well have been a one-off!  Anyhow, still alive  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 27 December, 2010, 06:31:39 pm »
They should make three attempts to contact you.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:09:43 pm »
(and these buggers are going to replace PCTs?  :facepalm: )
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #35 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

My last thought when I caught a nasty flu-like infection was to contact the medical services, what would be the point?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »

We don't have the resources.  Most of the PCTs' roles will need to be replicated, and we will not have the resources to do it.

NHS funding ringfenced?  Don't make me laugh!  I'm too busy being :sick:
Getting there...

« Reply #37 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »
(and these buggers are going to replace PCTs?  :facepalm: )

We don't have the resources.  Most of the PCTs' roles will need to be replicated,

Sounds like a virus.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2010, 08:48:23 am »
From its prevalence in this area and the symptoms, I think we've all had it (notwithstanding the fact that I paid for a 'flu jab a month ago).  Today's the 8th day and it's diminished to bad cold levels.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #39 on: 01 January, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Masten

« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »
Looks like another Europe wide scare is on it's way, 2 people in Germany dead by H1N1.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2011, 03:13:14 pm »
Flu does best in cold winters.  This is a doozy across Europe.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:00:34 pm »
I thought flu did best when the weather was still cold but starting to warm up - the spring thaw, when all around is slush and mud. I disclaim any relevant medical knowledge, but that's always been my impression. Could be I'm confusing proper flu with the achey-bone, coughey-sniffle things we call flu, though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #43 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »
A 21-year-old man with swine flu has died in hospital in Hartlepool.

BBC News - Man with swine flu dies in Hartlepool hospital

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #44 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:21:20 pm »
We're bursting at the seams with wheezing kids and oldies.  It's lots worse than last year.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #45 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
We're bursting at the seams with wheezing kids and oldies.  It's lots worse than last year.
Yeah - I had H1N1 over the Christmas period and it absolutely hammered me flat; I spent about 4 days in bed with a temperature of 102+, feeling like I'd been turned inside-out and genuinely wishing that I was dead. Not nice.

Since I'm part of an 'at risk' group (diabetic) I'm entitled to a free 'flu jab but I turned it down on the grounds that there are people far more in need of it than me ie. the elderly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #46 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »
We're bursting at the seams with wheezing kids and oldies.  It's lots worse than last year.
Yeah - I had H1N1 over the Christmas period and it absolutely hammered me flat; I spent about 4 days in bed with a temperature of 102+, feeling like I'd been turned inside-out and genuinely wishing that I was dead. Not nice.

Since I'm part of an 'at risk' group (diabetic) I'm entitled to a free 'flu jab but I turned it down on the grounds that there are people far more in need of it than me ie. the elderly.

[Nag Mode]

Sorry - but a silly thing for you to do.  The reason that you are considered 'at risk' is that you are....

...at risk.  Believe it or not, health professionals don't just class people as 'at risk' for the fun of it - they look at what is happening in real life.

And with the current strain of H1N1 doing the rounds, the wrinklies appear to be at lower risk than younger people with chronic health problems.

[/Nag Mode]

What's the use of health professionals encouraging those who are at risk to get vaccinated if those people think they know better?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #47 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
Eldest arrived home for xmas with mild flu. 3 people from her office have been diagnosed with h1n1.

I have mild copd, but my doctor didn't offer me the flu jab.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #48 on: 05 January, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »
Sorry - but a silly thing for you to do.  The reason that you are considered 'at risk' is that you are....

...at risk.  Believe it or not, health professionals don't just class people as 'at risk' for the fun of it - they look at what is happening in real life.
You're absolutely right and I'm certainly not going to argue with you on that point. However, my thinking at the time was that someone like my neighbour, who's knocking on a bit, would be a far more 'worthy' recipient of a free 'flu jab than someone like myself who, despite being diabetic, is on the right side of 40 (just!) and physically fit, pancreatic dysfunction notwithstanding. Clearly my altruism bit me on the arse and I've learnt my lesson the hard way.

Or to put it another way, I've started encouraging people to get their 'flu jabs mainly because of how it affected me. 20/20 hindsight and all that.

What's the use of health professionals encouraging those who are at risk to get vaccinated if those people think they know better?
I got a lot of that from my parents. They're both retired nurses ....

« Reply #49 on: 05 January, 2011, 05:30:26 pm »
I still haven't gone for my jab, although I caught swine flu on a plane to the states over a year ago before there was a vaccine, so I am hoping I still have decent immunity to that. I might try and get the jab next week. Last year when I phoned my GP to make an appointment I discovered that there was no day where the nurse could do it when I wasn't working in 6 weeks, so I didn't bother. This year I am working mostly nights and weekends so if they can fit me in the chances are I can actually go.