Author Topic: Yoga (Ashtanga)  (Read 1986 times)

Yoga (Ashtanga)
« on: 24 August, 2011, 11:03:56 am »
Some years ago I took up Ashtanga yoga. I liked it: it was good aerobic exercise, a really good work-out, helped me strengthen muscles which cycling neglected and increase my flexibility. Oh, and my teacher was a lot of fun and very low on the hippy-woo-bullshit quotient.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, my teacher Met Someone and moved away, and for the past five years or so I've been trying to find a replacement class.  :(

First I found an Ashtanga class held at the office, but it was a comparatively expensive class, and the teacher was a competetive sadist who could do handstand-press-ups and would challenge people to do ever more difficult things until we were all in pain or falling over or both (one guy required medical attention). Unsuprisingly, that class was cancelled due to lack of members after a few months.

Then I found a different class at the office - a predominantly Iyengar class. Now, the principle of Ashtanga is to keep moving, to keep breathing, and it doesn't matter if your posture ain't perfect, just keep trying and do whatever approximation you can manage. As I understand it, the principle of Iyengar is not to move at all, not to strain your body, spend half the class lying down recovering from doing sod-all, and if you can't do a pose then don't try* - instead wedge yourself with foam blocks and belts. Oh, and the teacher was really into every hippy-woo going: homeopathy, detox, "cleansing" which involved swallowing acres of cheesecloth and pulling it back up again to remove the "toxins". Oh, and breathing exercises with your little finger stuck up your nose and "now breathe into your stomach/legs/brain/other non-lung body part". ::-) :facepalm:

Anyway, the Iyengar class got a bit political with the treasurer disagreeing with the secretary, toys being thrown out of prams and such, so the price went up and the classes got worse, so I've been looking around for somewhere else.

Then I found this place, and noticed that it offered Ashtanga lessons, and isn't far from home. Plus, I found a Groupon code that made it £2.90 per class.  :thumbsup: I went to my first class last night. I thought that given it's been a while since I've done Ashtanga, and my shoulder still needs to build up strength following its operation, I'd go to a "beginner" class to get a feel for the place before going to the "Intermediate" class which I ought to be able to keep up with.

Ow. Ow ow ow. That was one intense work-out. The four miles or so home took me an age and I was worried that I'd not be home before dark (I didn't have a rear light with me). Even this morning I've got no strength in my legs and Tim had to tow me to work on the tandem.

It's a fantastic class, hardly any hippy-woo at all, and exercise rather than breathing/meditation. They're even requesting volunteers for their "fertility yoga" class** because they want to do a proper study into its efficacy, which cheered me - most hippy-woo practicioners don't bother to test their hippy-woo. Although how they're going to do a double-blind test intregues me. ;)

Anyway, I'm definately going back to this place, though I think I'll be sticking to the beginners' class for a little while before daring to try the Intermediate! :-[

*A bit like my grandma's attitude to swimming, which is why my father can't go near water without four buoyancy aids.

**No, I'll not be volunteering.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Yoga (Ashtanga)
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »
sounds fantastic!  I did Iyenga for about a year and loved it, and thought I was doing 'real' yoga and wondered what all the fuss was about, then my kid brother got engaged to a yoga instructor who invited me along to an Astanga session.  oh. my. god.  Not only is she the bendiest person I've ever seen, which explains why my bro' looks so tired and happy all the time, she's a complete sadist!! 

Loved it, like you said it actually felt like proper exercise! I'm trying to pluck up the courage to go to one of the 'hot yoga' sessions she does, it sounds like i might need to take a paddling pool to do it in so i dont flood the gym in sweat...

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2011, 02:12:42 pm »
I went to a 'Yoga Garden Party' in Wimbledon Village (dahling) when a friend offered me a spare ticket (it was a charity benefit thing).

We did one of those classes that involved mainly lying on very very comfy bolster and foam blocks. It was ever so nice and relaxing but I can't say it did anything for my physical fitness though it might have been good for my stressy mental health.

I was doing quite a good yoga class in Brixton (mixture of hatha and vinyasa I think) but then the instructor had the cheek to go and have a baby! Honestly!

Am kind of tempted to try Bikram at least once but not sure I would deal with the heat well.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
I did astanga for a few years and loved it. I did a taught class and a mysore class a week and I  was thin, toned, fit, flexible and much stronger than I am now, it was great. Then the teachers fell out with the owner of the building and it all went tits up and the building is now a GP practice and dentist surgery.  ::-) I haven't been able to find a convenient astanga class so I tried iyengar and hatha - and didn't like either of them, perhaps because of the teacher's technique but mainly because it didn't feel like exercise. And I tried tai chi and hated it, always came out feeling hunched up, compressed and achey instead of stretched and worked-out like I did after yoga. If I could find another class, I'd be back like a shot.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »
Due to a lack of organisation, I've realised that I've got eight classes left, which expire on the 1st November.  :facepalm:

So that'll be two classes a week then.  :-[

Oboy, this is gonna hurt.

(I suspect I'm not alone in this situation: one of the class did 1.5 hours of Ashtanga last week, and then stayed in the studio for the next class ("yoga for runners and cyclists").
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:03:10 am »
How much (ballpark) do your classes cost?

Just wondering, as I do a hatha/vinyasa flow type class in a village hall which is fine, but I'd like to try a Bikram class (the hot yoga - I think that would suit me down to the ground as I am way more flexible when my muslces are warm - I notice it on the bike in winter/summer). Cambridge has a 'yoga centre' type place which looks really nice but....£14 per class?! Plus £2 MAT HIRE?! That is twice as much as my class, plus I've never done any type of class where you had to pay to use their mats! I have my own anyway but...!!!

Is that REALLY pricey or am I just getting a great deal with my teacher!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2011, 11:42:58 am »
The RRP of the classes I am currently doing is about £12 per ninety-minute session in a purpose-built newly-opened centre (first session free), all kit/facilities (good-quality mats, blocks, plus jugs of water in reception and lockers for shoes etc) included. I got a Groupon voucher that made it £3 per class (if I go to them all!) which is an amazingly good deal, but I like the place so much I will probably continue to pay full-price once I run out of Groupon.

Prior to that I was doing classes at work for £3 for an hour, but the price has gone up to £5 or £6 and this is subsidised and the facilities are very poor. I've done a class with one of the same teachers at the Epsom Racecourse, and the price was £8 or £10 per class, and the only "facility" included there was an empty room - bring your own mat.

I've seen ashtanga classes advertised at around £12-£15 in London and the south east, so I would have expected Cambridge to be a little cheaper than that. And yes, being charged "mat hire" sounds like taking the piss! (Though I've never done Bikram - maybe they feel the need to launder the sweat out of the mats more frequently?)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2011, 07:15:18 am »
An interesting thread!
I've often thought about trying out yoga as I'm pretty much a bundle of gangly tense muscle all the time  :( As well as helping to increase my flexibility it should help my mental health as well.
What would be the best "form" of yoga for a complete beginner? 
Hopefully I'd be able to get a cheap class by using my student id card to get a student discount.  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Brian.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2011, 02:07:58 pm »
I don't think there is a best type of yoga for beginners. The various sorts can be very different so what you need to do is work out what you want from the class and then find a beginner's class of that sort. If you want a hard workout which increases strength, stamina and flexibility, then try astanga or bikram. If you want to concentrate very precisely on certain postures and you're not too worried about strength or aerobic workouts, maybe try iyengar. If you mainly want breathing and relaxation techniques, there will be classes for that too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2011, 02:25:48 pm »
How much (ballpark) do your classes cost?

Just wondering, as I do a hatha/vinyasa flow type class in a village hall which is fine, but I'd like to try a Bikram class (the hot yoga - I think that would suit me down to the ground as I am way more flexible when my muslces are warm - I notice it on the bike in winter/summer). Cambridge has a 'yoga centre' type place which looks really nice but....£14 per class?! Plus £2 MAT HIRE?! That is twice as much as my class, plus I've never done any type of class where you had to pay to use their mats! I have my own anyway but...!!!

Is that REALLY pricey or am I just getting a great deal with my teacher!

I've just started Yoga in Bristol and I pay £6, it is in the community centre and the mats are provided. I do Ashtanga and it is really good for me although I really need to become more flexible.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2011, 12:55:27 am »
Could someone link me to reputable peer-reviewed double-blind studies which show that Ashtanga works measurably better than, say, Iyengar or circuit training or swimming or Pilates or weights or T'ai Chi or Davina's thighs and buns workout?

I'm tempted, but don't want to look like a suggestible wally if the science isn't there.

Patanjali? Didn't he, with a commendable lack of hippy-woo, choke out Kazushi Sakuraba?

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:58:41 am »
Could someone link me to reputable peer-reviewed double-blind studies which show that Ashtanga works measurably better than, say, Iyengar or circuit training or swimming or Pilates or weights or T'ai Chi or Davina's thighs and buns workout?

I'm tempted, but don't want to look like a suggestible wally if the science isn't there.

Patanjali? Didn't he, with a commendable lack of hippy-woo, choke out Kazushi Sakuraba?

My you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet   ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:47:27 pm »
Not me, I'm chilled. Particularly like that there blues music. The foot-tapping that is: can do without the whole bothersome afro-american experience vibe, or negro-woo as I like to call it.