Author Topic: Stopping smoking  (Read 1455 times)

Stopping smoking
« on: 03 September, 2012, 09:52:37 am »
9 hours done.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris S

Re: Stopping smoking
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:05:42 am »
Well done. Keep at it, the 1st 3 days is definitely the worst and then it just gets so much easier. You can do it :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:15:16 am »
That's 9 hours and 23 minutes now. Keep it up!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2012, 11:00:03 am »
10 hours

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

Keep it up, if you need NRT I can recommend the Quickmist stuff, easier to use and nicer than the gum.

I hope to be completely nicotine free by the time my 1 year anniversary comes around (which is just over a month away).

I have had slips, mainly when doing over night rides.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
Bugger found some backy, thought I had used it all last night. So reset to 0. I will do this (did it before cold turkey and lasted 5 years).

« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »
I found e-cigs to be by far the most effective thing (and not having any tobacco in the house when I gave up). I've fallen off the waggon a couple of times for a night, generally when accompanied by large quantities of alcohol, and had a couple of enjoyable cigars. Getting back off them again has just been a case of making sure my ecig batteries are charged again.

I'm not going to tell you to ditch the baccy, because I'd have told you to bugger off if you'd said that to me, but do try to get the preparation right!

Are you using any NRT?
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:56:57 pm »
One of the National Trust chaps at Northey Island had an e-pipe!  I'd never heard of such a thing.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2012, 08:43:43 pm »
Good luck with it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:51:20 am »
Rather than stopping smoking, may i suggest you start a new thread 'Stopped Smoking'.
Consider this a practice run and make the next one a declaration of independence!   :D

« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2012, 06:11:36 am »
I turned that around and carried an open pack of 20 around with me as proof that I had given up because I wanted to and not because I had not got any fags.  They started breaking up after 3 weeks and I threw them away, nearly 40 years ago.

You can do this, stay strong.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2012, 02:07:06 am »
I am a well known Expert on Stopping smoking, I've done it hundreds of times!
If you slip it ius important to see it as a slip and not a failure. The E-cigs mentioned are a real life saver, literally I believe, for me and many others. Trouble is that "Vaping" can become an obsession in the n+99 category with all the devices and flavours etc.

Good luck in the journey back to life :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

walterrichmand

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »
Many people want to stop smoking but they can't stop it because it is very habitual thing. I have seen that many experts tell us drinking plenty of water otherwise you can eat favorite food when you think about smoking.

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2013, 01:30:31 pm »
This is one habit that I have never regretted leaving behind.

Must be about ten years now and I have never had any incentive to start again as the smell is ruddy awful.

Come on Pat, if I can do it so can you. Seeing my father die of cancer after chemotherapy was a rather distressing but convincing experience though.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »
Thirteen years and counting for me. No intention of ever going back to it.

It's part will power, part distracting yourself with something else. If you keep ruminating on how long you've given up for you'll just start again. Go for a long run, or cycle, something that involves getting your lungs to bursting point. Then think about how much better they and you would feel if you didn't have all that muck from the ciggies in there. That was what gave me the incentive to stay quit.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #17 on: 10 March, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »
I think that you really have to have made up your mind you are going to quit before you stop. Get past that first week and you are home free.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain