Author Topic: Sunburn  (Read 2602 times)

Sunburn
« on: 25 April, 2013, 12:35:22 pm »
Idiot!

Two hours having lunch in the (midday) sun on Tuesday afternoon is all it took.

Aftersun and Diprobase to the rescue.

Again: Idiot!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Sunburn
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »
A sneaky 100 (with a full set of waterproofs but no sunblock) at around the same time did it for me.

It still hurts.  :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »
3 hours or so riding up s Catalan hillside in intense sun has left me with interesting sunburn.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
Not suffered the burn yet, but my ever so attractive cycling tan is on the way back.

Got a feeling people could get caught out this weekend. Temps are only forecast around 10-12 degrees, so not too warm, but UV index is 4. Slap on the cream!

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:47:48 pm »
I put the suncream back into the saddlebag at the equinox.

Tuesday needed a prior application of domestic suncream to face ears, neck & bits of scalp that used to be covered by hair,  before I set out for work. I applied the mobile stuff to arms & legs during the day as limbs shed their clothing.

I think the bloodsucking insects in Rugby prefer a well-greased skin: maybe the suncream acts as a lubricant for their drilling tools :o .

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »
I got a bit sunburnt working out in the garden this week, but only on my back and shoulders because I was digging. I need to build up a base tan again so I don't have to worry about annoying creams when out on the bike!

AAO

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:59:18 pm »
I was brought up in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia as it was) and spent my young life in the sun. I have had several BCCs all surgically removed.The last one resulted in 3 operations (many hours) spread over 3 weeks to rebuild my nose, with a 4th (for cosmetic perfection) to come. Not fun!!!
Sunblock, long sleeves, tights and a cap under your helmets at all times is my message boys and girls  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2013, 01:39:39 am »
I was brought up in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia as it was) and spent my young life in the sun. I have had several BCCs all surgically removed.The last one resulted in 3 operations (many hours) spread over 3 weeks to rebuild my nose, with a 4th (for cosmetic perfection) to come. Not fun!!!
Sunblock, long sleeves, tights and a cap under your helmets at all times is my message boys and girls  :thumbsup:
In Britain, vitamin D deficiency is a problem. But so is melanoma. A less simplistic approach could be constructive...

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:47:53 am »
I got a bit sunburnt working out in the garden this week, but only on my back and shoulders because I was digging. I need to build up a base tan again so I don't have to worry about annoying creams when out on the bike!

Ahem

Tans don't stop UV damage causing skin cancer

You can get sunblock (low-ish factor) that is spray-on. Much quicker to apply than the creams.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2013, 12:50:02 pm »
P20 FTW. http://www.p20.co.uk/
Slap it on once before you go out (more like an oil than a cream). End of. No need to carry it in your saddlebag.
Worked for me when I was taking roaccutane and under dire warnings not to go out in the sun.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »
The liquid spray-on stuff is much better for cycling than the creams, for the simple reason that it doesn't stay slimy and attract road dust anywhere near as badly.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »
Some say I have the swarthy look of a pik... travelling person. I don't burn - the perma-tan just deepens. I'm still sporting last year's daft tan.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »
Had tearful phonecall from youngest sprog earlier in the week. She'd managed to get quite burned during PE. She's one of those pale things; looks like she's kept in a cupboard. She'd even gone out of her way to buy some suncream but it wasn't the sun-factor "hessian sack" that she really needs and it proved ineffective.

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:53:06 pm »
Moi aussi yesterday. I'd protected my face & the bits which got most sun, but didn't think I'd be out there long enough to burn anywhere else. I was wrong. Only a bit red & a bit warm - not sore - but still annoying.

AAOO - covering up to the same degree as is advisable for people of European origin in Zimbabwe can have adverse health consequences in our climate. Rickets used to be a problem here, & has recently made a bit of a comeback among female Muslims. Yes, protect yourself from too much UV, but remember what our main source of vitamin D is.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:19:02 am »
Rickets used to be a problem here, & has recently made a bit of a comeback among female Muslims. Yes, protect yourself from too much UV, but remember what our main source of vitamin D is.

True - but don't fall for the Daily Mail view that occasionally circulates that it's Muslims' modest dressing that leads to rickets. The epidemiology shows that darker Asian skin and vegetarianism can lead to low vitamin D; two factors that are common in UK Muslim communities.

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
P20 is ick. Reminds me I must get some supplies of the travel safe 8h factor 30 stuff which is a cream but soaks in like p20.