Author Topic: Strugglin'  (Read 4209 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Strugglin'
« on: 24 February, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »
I don't know if its me, but since x-mas, well since my 'off' , I've been struggling with fitness. I've done about 1400km so far this year, but almost every km has felt like bloody hard work.  It has been consistently very windy, from one direction or another, so I plan a ride accordingly, but it always turns into an againsterly. I'm starting to take it personally now :-[. I'm just not feeling the lurv at the mo. My thighs actually hurt sometimes on a ride, and I really feel like getting off and walking, (and this is on the flat, but into the wind). Is everyone else having a hard time, I don't remember this feeling before, and its getting me down. The thought of a 200km Audax right now scares me. And I've put on 2kg :-[ :'(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Strugglin'
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »
Not just you, I've only done about 800km so far on the bike which has actually been a breath of fresh, if windy air.  Time on the road has been largely a struggle against the wind here as well, on both upwrong and recumbent, but time on the turbo has allowed 6-nations watching.

I've really been struggling on the run, with no more than 20 miles in a week, and that was only once.  I recovered badly from a 40-miler in September and that degenerated into general calf troubles and then shin splints before Christmas to the extend that I almost pulled out of my local new years eve 10k (a streak of 7 races now) and I'm just not enjoying it at the moment.  4 miles last night, and I'll do the same again today.

I think its largely this time of year to be honest, with the cold, damp, dark and no real opportunity for daytime run/rides other than weekends, where the rest of life happens to intrude as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:07:21 pm »
Same for me. Less miles, more weather, more weight, less speed, more effort.

Reasons:
The weather here in Scotland has been really crap.
Been more tired from work than usual.
Developed bigger fear of ice.

I'm trying not to let it get to me, with mixed results.
I just plan summer rides to keep me going.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »
Same here. This year so far has really sucked (blown?) and my mileage has dropped like a concrete slab in a pond.
My 'thing' was a nice 10 mile night ride along the river and back home along the main road. The fear of being blown into the river or frozen wet has killed the enthusiasm.
Today's been nice though :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:37:13 pm »
Unless I make an effort to go on an overnighter or a weekend, I'm struggling to go out.

The rubbish weather is the main factor, then work getting in the way, then I can't be bothered to get the kit on for only a few miles. I suppose I should make an effort even for an hour out. Once out I enjoy it but motivation is sadly diminished, mileage has crashed to an all time low.

Light nights are on the way and hopefully warmer weather with less rain and gales :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2016, 06:01:47 pm »
It's been academic for me for the last few weeks because of lingering lurgy.  Every time I do anything more strenuous than a bit of hoovering I have to sleep for hours.  I assume the fitness I managed to maintain into January will have evaporated by the time I get back on a bike in any serious capacity.  Bah.

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2016, 07:12:17 pm »
You are not alone. Only 12 cycle commutes so far this year and two complete weeks when I didn't cycle at all. A combination of (potentially) icy roads, working away and having builders in and needing to get the car out of the way. And a lurgy.
I've managed to go running 14 times since the beginning of the year, which is not too bad, but even then I've been slow.
Oh, and only one ride other than a commute.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »
Due to my cathier problems I have lost 3 week's in January and I am struggling with weight gain.also as most of my riding ison my own I am struggling to motivate myself 😢 . only around 300 miles so far this year 😢.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2016, 07:57:44 pm »
Same story all around. Weather has been dire, few miles, poundage increase, sloth. Roll on spring.  ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2016, 08:08:42 pm »
February has been disappointing for us for a number of reasons.   really depressing as we had a good January.   Still, there are more sunlight hours now and the worst of the wind and rain seems to have gone for a few weeks.   Time to kick start teh mojo!   8)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2016, 08:28:17 pm »
I'm getting rather sick and fed up with the conditions. Up until recently it was gales, rain, mud and floods. Now it's ice, sleet, even more mud, and floods. Roll on spring.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2016, 08:48:05 pm »
I'm getting rather sick and fed up with the conditions. Up until recently it was gales, rain, mud and floods. Now it's ice, sleet, even more mud, and floods. Roll on spring.

Yeah, that. I've done 1000 miles so far this year, but they've been slow and many of them have been wet, windy or worse. Wimped out of a ride tonight because of ice risk (having come off and bashed my ribs and hip on Sunday, albeit not ice-related, I didn't want to risk another fall so soon, because it still hurts!). It's just so cold as well. :(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2016, 08:54:30 pm »
+1
I ran today, about 5:30 and even then with gloves on my hands were very cold as were my hands, and that was only half an hour.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LMT

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2016, 11:43:14 pm »
Buy a trainer, or as I do, go down the local gym and use a Wattbike.

Cannot be arsed riding outdoors, - too boring.

« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2016, 06:50:13 am »
You are not alone.

And... once I've not been out for a couple of days (or even for one day), it's harder to get out there - even if the weather is good.

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:51:47 am »
During this time of year I concentrate on group riding which helps with elements. As a result I've smashed 2000km already. Plus I got my own wattbike which helps enormously.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2016, 09:09:24 am »
I have been struggling since Nov last year and have only covered about 500 miles this year. I am in awe of the 1400km/ 1000 miles some of you have covered this year already.

Its been cold, wet and or windy and I am still waiting for that freak week which we had a few years ago, where it felt like summer for a bit lol

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2016, 10:12:44 am »
Possibly harder work if one has a km 'target' to keep up with, in the face of iffy weather?  I've just cherry picked my riding days, and so the longer rides (max 105km, into Chilterns on a great sunny day), have been enjoyable - but I've only done 400km+ in total.  I'm optimistic that the weather will get better from now on, as we head into the spring   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:19:30 am »
glad its not just me then ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:39:57 am »
Currently around 500km for the year to date. The lurgy is finally dissipating, sunshine is starting to appear and work is starting to ease off. I'm feeling confident about March but it has been a bit of a drag to get to this point.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris N

« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:46:23 am »
Ha, reading these makes my 400 km for 2016 seem not so bad after all.  Lurgy, work and two young kids mean that regular rides just don't happen for me at the moment.

As for Blodwyn Pig, take a week off.  No one says you have to ride your bike all the time - just put your feet up for a bit and come back to it later.

« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2016, 03:40:11 pm »
It's winter, and sh*t weather happens. I was totally sick of the wind, now I'm totally sick of freezing to death. But once you're in the routine, it's so much easier I think. Overthinking the weather isn't going to help, we live (most of us) in UK, you'll never get out waiting for a nice day.

I haven't enjoyed winter much, and I do struggle to motivate myself when it's bl**dy freezing, plus I tend to eat my way through winter which doesn't help, but I've just kind of got on with it and accept it as part of my day. I've just checked as I don't count miles, but I'm over 4000k. Just get yourself out there, and it gets easier. Most of the time.

« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2016, 05:47:52 pm »

I find the Wattbike much more boring than being outside...

LMT

« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »

I find the Wattbike much more boring than being outside...

Cool, for me it's no junk miles and all the youtube videos I can watch on my phone.

« Reply #24 on: 25 February, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »
Wattbike is great for 30 mins sessions 2 or 3 times a week. Never more. Use a 30 mins tv programme or techno music