Author Topic: Strugglin'  (Read 4210 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Strugglin'
« Reply #25 on: 25 February, 2016, 05:56:59 pm »
it's funny, I don't have trouble actually getting out on the bike, it's just once I'm out.....I wish I was home again.

« Reply #26 on: 25 February, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »

Buy a trainer, or as I do, go down the local gym and use a Wattbike.

Cannot be arsed riding outdoors, - too boring.

I find the Wattbike much more boring than being outside...
I've decided to try to get back to 'Audax-fitness' this year, so on the Monday or Wednesdays that it's too wet/windy/freezing to ride a proper bike, I've started (for the first time in my life) to go to the council gym. I've found the Wattbike boring, but extremely beneficial in terms of having a better time on the real bike. I'm unconvinced about the other stuff I'm doing there but at least it's better than sitting at home eating biscuits!
Maybe the trick is to vary the type of exercise, which in turn is good for all-round cycling enjoyment?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #27 on: 25 February, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »
I use a podcast thingy for intervals, and usually spend an hour on it (any shorter feels like it's not worth the trek to the gym). Prefer a spin class though, as I can't slack off when there are people watching!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 25 February, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »
Strugglin' - yes indeed, winter seems like that every year to me.

BUT, spring is just around the corner, stick at it and get some more miles in. [Hello sky, hello sun, hello flowers...]

Sometimes you just have to force yourself - a plan helps: a new route, go further afield, train for a seriously hard event, ride with your mates more. Run some longer errands, shopping in the next town etc by bike...it all helps.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
Strugglin' - yes indeed, winter seems like that every year to me.

BUT, spring is just around the corner, stick at it and get some more miles in. [Hello sky, hello sun, hello flowers...]

Sometimes you just have to force yourself - a plan helps: a new route, go further afield, train for a seriously hard event, ride with your mates more. Run some longer errands, shopping in the next town etc by bike...it all helps.

That's part of my lack of enthusiasm, no event on the horizon to train for, either run or bike.  They're all too nebulous and in the distance atm. 

I am enjoying some turbo session though, repeating the same one and seeing whether I am getting any fitter or not.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #30 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:53:33 pm »
Since New Years Eve I've done 0 km on either the bike or running. Normally at this time of the year I'd be putting in huge miles in preparation for the Manchester Marathon in April.

I had an episode of Atrial Fibrillation on NYE and had heart surgery for it on Monday. Hopefully I'll be allowed out soon.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #31 on: 25 February, 2016, 09:30:20 pm »
it's a bit of a challenge to motivate yourself when it's windy and/or freezing outside. my riding this year included a mix of few century rides on weekends, commuting, indoor rollers and a cycling holiday in spain. blue sky and sunshine makes a massive difference, i try to go outside at those times if i can.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2016, 11:23:01 am »
it's funny, I don't have trouble actually getting out on the bike, it's just once I'm out.....I wish I was home again.

Been there a few times but only coz I was either cold or wet or both or my diabetes was playing up.
What's making you want to bail out?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2016, 11:28:16 am »
Has anyone tried the Zwift thing that a I see now on Strava ? Seems like a good way to get motivated when stuck indoors.

« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
I've been Strugglin ever since i was hit by a car last July, seems to have really affected my willingness to get out on the bike ! However I've entered a few events this year to try and get my fat ass into shape, next week's Forth & Tay will be 'fun' going to try a bit of motivational training for it by going round the bridges tomorrow, will be tough !
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.