Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000919 times)

I left my bedroom window open and must have had a draught on my neck & left shoulder. Stiff, sore and it hurts to turn my head. I think that's tonights ride around the park on hold  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've just phoned one Kevin of D-Tek to see about going to play with some barakta-friendly trikes next week[1], and he recognised me.  And I don't mean in the "are you Charlotte?" sense, either.  I've only met him once!

Should I fear?  Or just bury my credit cards under 6ft of reinforced concrete?

[1] Muhahahaha

:D That sounds fun :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
I've just phoned one Kevin of D-Tek to see about going to play with some barakta-friendly trikes next week[1], and he recognised me.  And I don't mean in the "are you Charlotte?" sense, either.  I've only met him once!

Should I fear?  Or just bury my credit cards under 6ft of reinforced concrete?

[1] Muhahahaha

What is this doing hiding in this thread?  Surely there should be flashing lights, and party poppers, and dancing girls, and a brass band for this is Good_News. 

And of course he remembers you - witnessed the purchasing of Priscilla, didn't you?

Tell barakta from me she has to find something that suits, cos going on a WARTY with barakta is one of the things on my little list for 2011.... and I seem to be ticking things off said list relatively efficiently  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What is this doing hiding in this thread?  Surely there should be flashing lights, and party poppers, and dancing girls, and a brass band for this is Good_News. 

Well he hasn't got the diary out and phoned me back yet...   :P

Can't have too many trikes in the world...

Coming back from this morning's round, we came across a police car and a civvy car parked on the pavement at a junction, and neither of them were quite the shape they were when they came out of the factory. Rather condsiderably so in the case of the police car....

Police van crashes in Barbican Road, York (From York Press)

Its a bit surprising how crumpled the cop car was, looking at the limited damage to the other car. We wondered if something else more substantial had been involved, but apparently not...

Annoyingly, I reckon that video clip misses showing Beryl driving past by mere minutes...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

I appear to be missing a pair of trousers.

One of the skips delivered to us by Yorwaste has written on the front in marker pen:

"Carboad only"  (sic)

And under that, to make sure:

"Flat packed Carboad only"

We're using it for plastic. ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I reckon that skip is for recycling Trabants.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

Why does the online census bollix, knowing that my sons are 9 and 3 because a moment ago it asked for their dates of birth, proceed to ask if they are married/civilly partnered etc?

Why does the online census bollix, knowing that my sons are 9 and 3 because a moment ago it asked for their dates of birth, proceed to ask if they are married/civilly partnered etc?
It's not just on online problem. MrsC's mother got told off for not answering that question when MrsC was nine. Which was fifty years ago!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It can't cope with qualifications less than 4 C grade GCSEs or whatever that option says.  As you can't tick 'no qualifications' you have to use the paper version and leave that question blank.   :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

It's not just on online problem. MrsC's mother got told off for not answering that question when MrsC was nine. Which was fifty years ago!

S
Perhaps because under certain jurisdictions (like West Virginia) you can legally - though most highly incredibly unlikely! - be married at that age.

CrinklyLion

I'm such a feckless parent.  EldestCub (as is usual) got himself up, fed, dressed, teeth brushed and ready then sat down to play on the pooter until it was time for school. 

I, apparently, switched off the alarm and went back to sleep - went to bed late due to feeling a bit unwell, then got woken up by Eldest, then the SmallestCub decided to climb into our bed and do octopus impersonations so just a bit tired.  Dearly_Beloved didn't wake up either.  SmallestCub (who finally got returned to his own bed for the last time at about 5am) slept in too.

I woke up at about 10 past setting-off-walking-to-school time.  Oops.  Dearly_Beloved managed to get ready quick enough to take the eldest by about 10 past setting-off-cycling-to-school time and I rang in to say littly (who is only in the nursery class and part-time) isn't coming in because by the time he was ready to go and I got him there it would be nearly time to go and pick him back up again! 

So, I've allowed my 3 y o to skive.  Positively condoned it. 

Shocking, I tell you.  I blame the parents.

:) We've all been there!

Riddle me this, confused.com & insurers: I had a powerful-ish Yamaha 600 that you insured me for the princely sum of £85 with only one year's NCB. So why do you want £105 for a poxy 200cc Chinese bike now I have 2 years NCB?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

Hah, we seem to be making an involuntary habit of setting off at really-have-to-walk-fast time. Little Cudzo says he likes this because "it gives me legs like an ostrich". I've checked, no toes on his heels yet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A small child who enjoys vigorous exercise - who would have thunk it?

Cudzoziemiec

I blame the poor boy's parents. They really should take him to school by car, rather than subjecting him to a walk of TEN minutes. It might lead to aberrant behaviour such as playing football and then he could end up like Wayne Rooney!  :o

A load of the tat vintage bicycle parts I was flogging on fleabay have been bought by folks in Japan.  I must have cocked up the listings, as I thought I'd restricted it to EU only.  Never mind - I got better prices for them, and Japanese folks are well into their Regina and stronglight kit :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My son told me last night that you can make popcorn from the microwave signal emitted by six mobile phones if you hold them close together. Apparently, his friend has tried this experiment and it really works!

::-)

I told him his friend is a bare-faced liar.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrinklyLion

Ouch! Underwire pingfuckit moment while out shopping. Now, do I have time for a trip to M&S before school  run? 

Just had a tour around Big Miss AWL's school from September (appeals will probably be fruitless). Seemed decent enough, if a bit of a mish-mash of building types.

My, sixth formers grow up fast, don't they  :demon:
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

essexian

My car has just failed its MOT.... needs two new back tyres. Quite pleased about that as I thought it was going to get costly.

However, two new tyres £120. Okay, I am willing to pay that. But, the new pair of tyres I brought for my road bike were £65 a pair. How comes, pound for pound, bike tyres are so expensive?

jogler

• mojo operandi
^^^^^^
I too made this observation & comparison elsewhere.In the Knowledge board IIRC,A search might be be illuminating

I would imagine it is partly a feature of economies of scale, and partly also a totally different manufacturing process that makes tyres that runs at a much higher pressure using very lightweight bonding technology (or something).