Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 87748 times)

We talked a bit about Di2 a few pages back, and the Di2 groupset is around £1500, which is a mite expensive for something that you're going to start taking apart immediately. For a test of a Baraktamobile, it's probably an unrealistic expenditure.

Sorry, that must have slipped me by.
it would really be possible to use that - most trikes do use MTB-stock-components and this has been fettled for just the gear range you'd need:
Bikerumor  » Hack! Shimano Di2 Electronic Shifting Mated with XTR on a Niner

If something like this would be put on a trike, it would most certainly hold its value. Maybe one could even get one or the other player to sponsor a demo-project at least partly?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
I've done a (very bad) sketch. The trick is in fixing shifter and servo together securly, and allowing the pull wires to go slack without becoming misplaced. (and having sufficient torque)

A trigger shifter set up like that would avoid the need for the electronics to understand more than "shift up" and "shift down", but as has been repeatedly said, electronics are easy.

I was thinking a traditional thumb shifter like we had in the 80s would be a lot simpler to interface mechanically.  If the torque was sufficient you could probably even couple it directly to the servo arm.  Intuitively, a non-indexed shifter should require less torque?

The answer is of course obvious when someone points it out to you. Standby for another shockingly bad sketch.

Worm gear on motor turns cable windy mechanism. When in place, remove power from motor - cable cannot back drive the motor. Attach a pot to the windy mechanism, and you've got position feedback. If cable pully part of windy mechanism is about 20mm diameter, then less than 1/2 a turn is needed for the full pull, which leaves lots of space for electric adjustment (2.5mm/gear on nine speed)

Will probably still need a gear on the motor before the worm gear, to get the torque necessary - so a modified servo (modified for continuous rotation) would do the job.

PS - have a great day tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I think we have a winner.   :thumbsup:

I still reckon we'll be able to get away with sensibly-chosen mechanical shifters, but it's nice to explore these options, should they become necessary later.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
If you're going for that, why not go the whole hog and use a leadscrew/ballscrew and stepper motor?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

tonycollinet

And off the shelf - not cheap at $90 (around £55 before postage etc) per mechanism.

However, possibly a ready built solution - linear actuator with up to 50N force over 30mm stroke. Built in position control - tell it where to go, and it goes there. Remove power and it holds up to a certain force limit). Does anyone know what the pull force is required for a gear mech?

http://www.firgelli.com/pdf/L12_datasheet.pdf

If you're going for that, why not go the whole hog and use a leadscrew/ballscrew and stepper motor?

Might also work if accurate enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
And off the shelf - not cheap at $90 (around £55 before postage etc) per mechanism.

However, possibly a ready built solution - linear actuator with up to 50N force over 30mm stroke. Built in position control - tell it where to go, and it goes there. Remove power and it holds up to a certain force limit). Does anyone know what the pull force is required for a gear mech?

http://www.firgelli.com/pdf/L12_datasheet.pdf

Cor, even I could molish something likely to work out of one (or two) of those.  And the power requirements aren't too taxing.  Assuming 45N is enough, my google-fu is weak tonight, but it sounds like it ought to be.

And £55 is about the cost of a set of bar-end shifters, so it's not utterly ridiculous.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Okay, I have a car - about average amount of faff.

Pouring tea into barakta and we're off!

Have a good day and come back with a shiny 3 wheeled dent in the credit card :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Have a brilliant time - we're very excited for Barakta! I hope you find something that works swimmingly :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
*awaiting news*
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
[/baitedbreath]
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
[/batedbreath]

ITYM

unless you haven't cleaned your teeth this morning... ;D
Getting there...

Wel, I'm a couple of miles North of DTeK and it's been drizzly and gusty all day so I hope they haven't been put off.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hard to type with fingers crossed (that day is a resounding success)  8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

tonycollinet

Why am I excited?

;D :D ;D :D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
[Tapping Foot smiley...]
What HAS become of them?  My hooks are more tenter(*) than usual.

(*) Nothing to do with using "camp" as an adjective.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

It's like waiting on news of a birth...  ;D

Worse, nails now down to quick  :-\
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
They're probably still there, speccing...
Getting there...

Agonizing over the colour......   ;)

pacing - up - and - down and up - and - down  ;)

What's taking them so long, did they decide to cycle back home afterwards?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What's taking them so long, did they decide to cycle back home afterwards?

I wish!  Motorways are now officially worse than Sustrans routes.

I'll do a proper report in the morning after I've had some sleep and returned the car-shaped object, but for now, I present "Teh Grin":

ah good, you have returned :)

Teh Grin, it burns .......... ;D