Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 84020 times)

annie

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #350 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:24:58 pm »
I will go for a salad or a baguette.  Anything else is just far too heavy on my tum

Wobbly John.  30 miles sounds good to me.  Will confirm tomorrow.  I have just noticed that Clarion and Butterfly want somewhere to sleep on Friday night.  If that's the case they would be more than welcome to sleep here but I am a little bit out of your way I think.

« Reply #351 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:28:47 pm »
I just checked the distances and Bishop Stortford is 8 miles further for you to drive than Wickford is.  :o
I told you we were travelling in different directions.

Teethgrinder's most direct route looks to be a few miles South of mine.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #352 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »
I'll see if I can get to Bishops Stortford station at 0730. Don't wait for me if I'm not there.

« Reply #353 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:35:05 pm »
Thanks Annie, I think we'll go up in the car on Saturday though :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

annie

« Reply #354 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:36:52 pm »
Thanks Annie, I think we'll go up in the car on Saturday though :)

Ok.  The offer stands though.  A bed is made up if you change your mind. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #355 on: 20 February, 2009, 12:30:05 am »
Forecast looking good for Saturday.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #356 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:29:55 am »
Thanks for the encouragement guys (and offers of tucking in etc!!). I will try very hard, I promise. Guess I might try for the 8.34, if I can wake up in time.

Am in bad shape, visited a friend in Balham yesterday and was huffing like a steam train going over Balham hill (for those that know it, this is not really a hill at all!)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #357 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:33:41 am »
It will be lovely to see you, Laura! Be assured that we will be slow. Jan and I will be training it to Wickford (we would normally ride) and training it back from Burnham (if I were on my own I would normally ride).

« Reply #358 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:42:33 am »
...and riding the red A roads to Wickford via Chelmsford.

Anybody likely to join me on the way?

Well I would, except I'm travelling up to Manchester on Saturday for Revolution (not a gay club, Reg.)

There's engineering works on the train lines this weekend - replacement buses between Shenfield and Colchester.

[edit] National Rail Enquiries - Future Engineering Works

[edit] actually, I think you'll be alright on the Southend line, just ignore me. ::-)

Have a good time all - I'm looking forward to the ride reports and photos!

« Reply #359 on: 20 February, 2009, 03:07:15 pm »
I'm not up to riding a 200 mile round trip from home and back anyway, so I intend getting the train down to Bishop Stortford (gets there about 7.30) and riding the red A roads to Wickford via Chelmsford.
If you're intent on riding still here's a nicer route out of Chelmsford to the start, Clicky. You can't miss the start of this route as it's on the only flyover roundabout, it also has a brand new Travellodge where it used to be a pub.
The A1060 can be a bitch! You might want to consider cutting across from Roxwell or Writtle if it gets too much.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #360 on: 20 February, 2009, 04:25:03 pm »
I've phoned the pub and ordered the cooked meals in advance: 2 * veg balti, 2 * chicken balti, 1 * ribeye steak, 1 beef lasagne.

Annie & Del for baguette, Clarion or ploughman's, Mrs. Wow for sanwiches.

It's the cooked food that takes the longest. I've not heard from Butterfly, NSTN or TG so if you want something cooked, let me know and I'll phone through. The pub is the Fox & Hounds, Tillingham. When I spoke to the landlord just now, he had remembered without prompting that he was expecting a party of cyclists an that I had been very taken with the balti.

I told him I thought we' be there about 1 p.m.

« Reply #361 on: 20 February, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »
Oops sorry Wow, will they do me egg and chips?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #362 on: 20 February, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure they would.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #363 on: 20 February, 2009, 04:39:33 pm »
I shall prompt Butterfly :)
Getting there...

« Reply #364 on: 20 February, 2009, 04:40:53 pm »
Ta  :thumbsup:

« Reply #365 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:30:17 pm »
Ooh, sorry to be tardy. Can I order a rib eye steak please?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #366 on: 20 February, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »
Right, I think the gears are optimally adjusted, I remembered to fit some water bottle cages, and I've shifted a rear light that the pannier was abusing!  Now off to bed, since I'll need to be up at 6am. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #367 on: 21 February, 2009, 03:34:19 am »
Loaded with caffeine and shaking like an Aztec warrior high on coke and ready for battle.
I'll be on the road in a few minutes. If I've done my sums right, I'll see you all at the start at 09:30, via Bishops Stortford. If not, don't wait for me, I've either done my sums wrong, got the knock (unlikely) or gone the wrong way.
Byeeeeeeeee

« Reply #368 on: 21 February, 2009, 05:42:02 am »
I'm at the caffiene loading stage and will soon be on my way to the station to get a train down to Bishop Stortford.  :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #369 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:07:30 am »
Looking forward to meeting WobblyTeeth after the caffeine fuelled collision at Bish. Stort.  ;D
I myself am loading up on porridge and tea and will leave in about an hour.

« Reply #370 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:11:03 am »
Neckin' muesli, banana,mango and a grape.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #371 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:13:13 am »
Thank the Lord it wasn't JohnGrinder!  :o

I'm at the porridge-cooking stage also. This will soon develop into the takingacupofteaupstairsforerinbed stage. We will be on the 9.08, arrives Wickford 9.25.

annie

« Reply #372 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:18:23 am »
I have eaten.  Just about to get dressed and should be out of the door and into the car by 7.50.  Yawn :)

« Reply #373 on: 21 February, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
An absolutely, stonkingly, spiffing day out!  :thumbsup: Even lashings of ginger beer couldn't have improved it. Lovely weather all day, a little sunburn even on my scalp, and not too cold. We had the wind in right direction as well, for half the day at any rate.
I got in 1835 after leaving WJ at the old A130 so he could go via Chelmsford to Bish. Stort. If we'd gone back to Wickford station I reckon we'd have got there 1815 - 1825.
Pics will be done soon.   ::-)

Thanks All,  :thumbsup:

« Reply #374 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
It was indeed stonking.  I'm a bit worn through just having cycled from Liverpool Street to Croydon, Brixton being particularly memorable for it's traffic, and not in a good way. >:(

The ride more than made up for that though.  The company, and the occasionally somewhat bleak scenery, a few short sharp hills, some innuendo from the traditional quarter, and a couple of fine eateries. :thumbsup:

Apologies to all those that we left at Burnham-on-Crouch, but the train being at the station as we arrived was just too much, and we couldn't let it go off without us!  This should have made it easier to get the remaining travelers onto the next train, since it would surely have been a squeeze to get us all onto one train.

The GPS route and a few piccies will also follow shortly, once I've downloaded them, and they've been tweaked as appropriate.
Actually, it is rocket science.