Author Topic: Bike parking - is it that much of a problem?  (Read 1593 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Bike parking - is it that much of a problem?
« on: 03 August, 2008, 04:14:56 pm »
I never leave mine anywhere for any length of time.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | The etiquette of bike parking

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Bike parking - is it that much of a problem?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2008, 04:32:02 pm »
Of course it's not a problem - it's just that some people love to moan.  It'll be back to immigrants next week.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2008, 04:47:55 pm »
I "had a word" at the local Halfrauds today. They moved their four Sheffield stands (fair enough, I'm sure they had their reasons) but today, they'd "parked" a couple of trailers right next to them, making them pretty tough to access.

The bod in the store explained that they used to park the for-sale trailers on the verge near the road, but some enterprising pikey chap one day hitched one up to his van and drove off with it. I suggested they chain them to the rather conveniently placed tree nearby, or clamp them - rather than blocking the only cycling parking there.

I told them it was a pretty poor show, for a bike shop. They agreed  ::-).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2008, 04:49:23 pm »
Mr Mason says attitudes towards cyclists are shifting: "Ten years ago it was only the messenger or photo copier who cycled - nowadays no-one bats an eyelid if an accountant turns up to a meeting first thing in shorts."

If only.  We've just gone the other way because the Men In Grey thought we were a bit too casual.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:50:29 am »
Of course it's not a problem - it's just that some people love to moan.  It'll be back to immigrants next week.

I dunno, sometimes it's a pain when I cycle to a meeting in central London and typically have to find somewhere on-street to park. Generally, my aim is to have a bike to come back to and not one that's been jumped on by some junior Godzilla. I've now a good mental map of likely secure and unfilled Sheffield stands, but travelling somewhere new can make finding a decent parking space a problem. Often best to update my parking map of the area by reconnoitring in advance, but that's not always possible. Bike parking doesn't take up much space and decent Sheffield stands aren't a major expense, so it's a shame if people are put off cycling through the simple fact that there's nowhere obvious and safe to leave your bike.

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:06:52 pm »
+1 to what Ian says - I often need to leave my bike locked up in central London, and it can take ages to find an empty stand or even a solid and tall enough lamp-post.

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:12:32 pm »
+2 - I recently met my friend for a coffee in Soho and it was impossible to lock my bike even though there were Sheffield stands in sight of the coffee shop, they were full (and I'm sure some of the bikes were abandoned). I ended up very reluctantly locking it further away in a less busy bit and my friend complained that I was 'twitchy' the whole time, which admittedly I was.

I work in central London and have started getting after-work friends to meet me *very* close to where I work (if they don't mind) so I can safely leave my bike in the garage and not have to worry. Luckily they are nice enough people that they humour me.

« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2008, 01:05:45 pm »
It's just nice to see mundane cycling matters making mainstream news.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:19:37 pm »
+2 - I recently met my friend for a coffee in Soho and it was impossible to lock my bike even though there were Sheffield stands in sight of the coffee shop, they were full (and I'm sure some of the bikes were abandoned). I ended up very reluctantly locking it further away in a less busy bit and my friend complained that I was 'twitchy' the whole time, which admittedly I was.

I work in central London and have started getting after-work friends to meet me *very* close to where I work (if they don't mind) so I can safely leave my bike in the garage and not have to worry. Luckily they are nice enough people that they humour me.

Maybe a Brompton is the answer?
That's probably what I'd do if I lived in London, or just do as I do now. I use a heap of a bike (BSO would do) for local trips to the town, so if it does get vandalised or nicked, it's no big loss.
Lack of good cycle parking doesn't prevent me from cycling. It just eliminates some of my destinations. If everyone only visited places with good cycle parking, maybe it would eat away business from establishments which don't cater for cyclists.