touring shoes and clips
3 (5.9%)
casual shoes and platform pedals
1 (2%)
none of the above
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: 06 July, 2015, 03:48:18 pm

Author Topic: Road or MTB shoes for PBP  (Read 9272 times)

Re: Road or MTB shoes for PBP
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2015, 11:22:06 am »
The subtle difference between "road shoes and pedals" and "mtb shoes and pedals" is too subtle for me.  I wear shimano spd sandals, but would consider them as road shoes.  Sandals on a mountain bike aren't a good combination when your toes get pelted with pebbles.

« Reply #26 on: 08 July, 2015, 03:14:13 pm »
Road shoes + pedals = Look/SPD SL/Time Xpresso/Speedplay(?- I'd class these as road)
MTB shoes + pedals = Time ATAC/SPD

Road shoes have the cleat proud of the shoe (except speedplays, I suppose) whereas MTB cleats can be much more recessed.

It's about how easily you can walk in them.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #27 on: 08 July, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »
I'll take touring pedals with a large platform to spread some of the load and the option to unclip and ride on the other side of the pedal, for changes of foot position and pressure point.
I'll have Shimano sandals and will change to pedals with flat on one side, cleats on the other. The 600k was done in Shimano sandals and when I had hotfoot I moved the cleats as far forward as possible so the toes flexed every so slightly at every turn of the pedal. I hope the flat side of the pedal will allow me to put the heel on the pedal should hotfoot return.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:09:23 pm »
Reviving an old thread seeking advice.

Just spontaneously bought a pair of Giro Republic LXR shoes yesterday after wandering into Cycle Surgery and [surprisingly] being overly impressed with the salesman. 

Three afterthoughts:
(i) (laces) difficulty in attaching my wahoo cadence sensor (which I don't like to use unless I am on a long weekend ride / as opposed to commuting / in order to save battery life);
(ii) (laces) annoying to put on / take off;
(iii) (cleat clearance) a couple reviews say that there is not enough space between the tread and the sides of the cleats; one guy took a sharp knife to the tread to carve out sufficient room.  Is it possible these customers just don't know how to properly clip in?  Surprised Giro would design a shoe which didn't work with the pedal it was designed for.  I am moving to Shimano SPDs from Time Atacs (as I believe the rails on the Atacs are putting too much focused pressure on the balls of my feet, causing pain).

Other than that they seem really good (!) and I haven't been able to find a pair of shoes with good reviews that are good quality, 2 bolt, composite or carbon sole, and with velcro straps.  I am upgrading my very very old mavic pulses - the goal of the project is to eliminate hot foot - the balls of my feet feel like they are on fire / digging into the bones.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. Also keen to buy from a shop (London) as don't want to waste time ordering something that doesn't fit and having to return it.  I am also considering socking out for some Shimano SPD sandals, but would be keen to have a pair of shoes as well.

Tall order!

« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:22:39 pm »
If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I had a pair of the "womens" version of these Giro shoes a few years ago. I loved them. I use a cadence meter on my crank arm so that isn't an issue. I have never found laces an issue, and cleat clearance was fine. I never had to cut out bits of the sole.

However. The reason I eventually gave up on these shoes is that the removable pads on the sole are really... rubbish. They wear down incredibly quickly. I was getting through a set every 3 months or something, just from walking to where I park my bike in the mornings to my office. I stopped buying the pads and just wore the soles down so much that I couldn't remove them to replace them.

I tried a few other pairs of shoes but have eventually settled on dhb's Dorica (MTB version). So comfy, have had hardly any issues. I like them so much I bought an identical pair for when these ones are battered enough to chuck. They do a velcro version called the Troika as well (but obviously look less classy than the laces).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:42:22 pm »
(i) (laces) difficulty in attaching my wahoo cadence sensor (which I don't like to use unless I am on a long weekend ride / as opposed to commuting / in order to save battery life);

Can you not attach it to the crank arm?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:54:17 pm »
Shimano RT500 for me — this is Shimano's current, fast-touring shoe with MTB cleat and walkable sole.  They have reflective bits visible from all around, with a large patch high on the heel.  Shimano size 43 fits me off the shelf every time  :thumbsup:

I wore them through the winter with Merino-wool socks (DeFeet Woollie Boollies), and now I'm wearing them in the summer, but with micro-socks (GripGrab).  And I don't think I've ever suffered from hotfoot.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2019, 06:41:12 pm »
(iii) (cleat clearance) a couple reviews say that there is not enough space between the tread and the sides of the cleats; one guy took a sharp knife to the tread to carve out sufficient room.  Is it possible these customers just don't know how to properly clip in?

It could just be that they need their cleats close to the edge - I've had this issue before (though not with Giro shoes) because I have weird feet and need my left cleat in particular at an angle rather than facing directly forward.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 11 July, 2019, 07:19:32 pm »
road shoes for me - they worked well previously, therefore no reason to change

« Reply #34 on: 11 July, 2019, 07:24:56 pm »
I have road shoes plus three-to-two-bolt adapters for SPDs, which might help tick all of your boxes. It works surprisingly well, although you do have to relearn how to walk.

markldn

« Reply #35 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:29:46 pm »

I had a pair of the "womens" version of these Giro shoes a few years ago. I loved them. I use a cadence meter on my crank arm so that isn't an issue. I have never found laces an issue, and cleat clearance was fine. I never had to cut out bits of the sole.

However. The reason I eventually gave up on these shoes is that the removable pads on the sole are really... rubbish. They wear down incredibly quickly. I was getting through a set every 3 months or something, just from walking to where I park my bike in the mornings to my office. I stopped buying the pads and just wore the soles down so much that I couldn't remove them to replace them.

I tried a few other pairs of shoes but have eventually settled on dhb's Dorica (MTB version). So comfy, have had hardly any issues. I like them so much I bought an identical pair for when these ones are battered enough to chuck. They do a velcro version called the Troika as well (but obviously look less classy than the laces).

Thanks Niki - you don't find the lack of tread on the dhb's annoying to walk around without?

And my Giro's don't appear to have this removable pad on the sole you speak of, only a removable insole.

I could, but hence my comment about wanting to save battery / replacing the battery more often than I need to (sensor sits in a drawer during the week when I am commuting).  Unless I am missing something and the sensor is smart enough not to turn on when it doesn't detect my Wahoo operating nearby (which I assumed it wasn't as it blinks just by moving it).  Just trying to be green and save waste!  Will end up doing this if I decide to stick with the lace-ups.

Shimano RT500 for me — this is Shimano's current, fast-touring shoe with MTB cleat and walkable sole.  They have reflective bits visible from all around, with a large patch high on the heel.  Shimano size 43 fits me off the shelf every time  :thumbsup:

I wore them through the winter with Merino-wool socks (DeFeet Woollie Boollies), and now I'm wearing them in the summer, but with micro-socks (GripGrab).  And I don't think I've ever suffered from hotfoot.

Yup, that looks like what I should have been sold.  Ugh.. decisions decisions.  Will need to order a pair online and compare fit.  Did you order 0.5 size bigger than normal as I have read on Wiggle?

(iii) (cleat clearance) a couple reviews say that there is not enough space between the tread and the sides of the cleats; one guy took a sharp knife to the tread to carve out sufficient room.  Is it possible these customers just don't know how to properly clip in?

It could just be that they need their cleats close to the edge - I've had this issue before (though not with Giro shoes) because I have weird feet and need my left cleat in particular at an angle rather than facing directly forward.

Yeah I suppose that could be it.  Thanks.  Will watch that on install.

I have road shoes plus three-to-two-bolt adapters for SPDs, which might help tick all of your boxes. It works surprisingly well, although you do have to relearn how to walk.

Almost, but not the "good to walk in" box!  i.e. no tread on road shoes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »

I could, but hence my comment about wanting to save battery / replacing the battery more often than I need to (sensor sits in a drawer during the week when I am commuting).  Unless I am missing something and the sensor is smart enough not to turn on when it doesn't detect my Wahoo operating nearby (which I assumed it wasn't as it blinks just by moving it).  Just trying to be green and save waste!  Will end up doing this if I decide to stick with the lace-ups.

If it's the same RPM sensor as I've got, I'm reasonably sure it's awake and transmitting whenever it detects motion, so yeah.  Mine's on a fast bike that only gets used for proper rides (the others have wired computers), so it's not a problem, but I can imagine it gets through batteries at a fair rate if you're commuting on it.

(I was assuming this was a PBP discussion, where attaching the sensor to the crank would make sense from a 'one less thing to think about' viewpoint.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:12:29 pm »

If it's the same RPM sensor as I've got, I'm reasonably sure it's awake and transmitting whenever it detects motion, so yeah.  Mine's on a fast bike that only gets used for proper rides (the others have wired computers), so it's not a problem, but I can imagine it gets through batteries at a fair rate if you're commuting on it.

(I was assuming this was a PBP discussion, where attaching the sensor to the crank would make sense from a 'one less thing to think about' viewpoint.)

I have the Wahoo cadence sensor, using it for commuting, lots of long rides, tours, audaxes etc... I replace the battery 2.5 times a year. Ditto the Speed sensor.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bairn again

« Reply #38 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:19:35 pm »
road shoes with a pair of ultra light folding vivo barefoot shoes in the bag for walking 

« Reply #39 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:20:52 pm »
Shimano SPD sandals of course !

« Reply #40 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:55:55 pm »
Hotfoot led me to reject recessed cleats. Full on road cleats for me.

« Reply #41 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »
It would make sense to continue with the shoes that you find most comfortable.
Im taking some light weight scuba shoes from decathlon. £4
There's probably a lot of walking at Rambouillet
I'll walk less on the ride now that the controls are more familiar to me..I could take my Giro SPD's but I tend to keep them on too long when walking and then they get uncomfortable.
So ill stick with my giro road cleats and use my scuba slippers this time.
🙂

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #42 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:07:32 pm »
Shimano RT500 for me — this is Shimano's current, fast-touring shoe with MTB cleat and walkable sole.  They have reflective bits visible from all around, with a large patch high on the heel.  Shimano size 43 fits me off the shelf every time  :thumbsup:

Yup, that looks like what I should have been sold.  Ugh.. decisions decisions.  Will need to order a pair online and compare fit.  Did you order 0.5 size bigger than normal as I have read on Wiggle?

Nope, it's always Shimano 43 for me.  Fits as well as any other Shimano shoe I've bought.  And all my other normal shoes, trainers, etc., are size 43s too.

I might have a pair of boxed, unused 42s that I ordered at the same time to verify sizing and forgot to return somewhere around here ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #43 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:17:31 pm »
I wear 42s in almost everything except shimano which are 43.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:25:19 pm »
I wear 42s in almost everything except shimano which are 43.

+1

markldn

« Reply #45 on: 12 July, 2019, 10:10:01 am »

Nope, it's always Shimano 43 for me.  Fits as well as any other Shimano shoe I've bought.  And all my other normal shoes, trainers, etc., are size 43s too.

I might have a pair of boxed, unused 42s that I ordered at the same time to verify sizing and forgot to return somewhere around here ...

Ta mate.  If that was an offer to sell I am a size 46 unfortunately!  Appreciate it though.

Thanks everyone else for the bespoke advice. 

Wrt to the wahoo battery - I have not replaced mine since buying the whole unit in October so happy to keep going saving the planet one CR2032 at a time!  If I can help it.

On taking an extra pair of lightweight shoes - great idea - I will likely just bring a pair of light sandals.  These will likely be stored in a light drawstring bag I can then throw my shoes into, and any other important stuff, off the bike.

Upon the seat tube strap tearing on my bought-this-past-April Brooks Millbrook Saddlebag (FYI, never buy), next thing I need to um and ah about is what size/brand saddle pack to buy ... and then of course the dynamo system.

« Reply #46 on: 12 July, 2019, 10:35:37 am »
Hi Mark, as said, you will be walking about a lot at controls, IMHO SPD type shoes make sense, but really, wear whatever you are comfortable with.

Sidi Dominator MTB shoes, footbeds and thick woolly socks for me.

Eagerly awaiting the 'toe-nail' advice............

And, sort those lights out, you will need them early mornings.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #47 on: 12 July, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »
The only time I've had something like hotfoot was wearing "touring" shoes that are bendy

Since switching to super stiff shoes I've not had this as a problem

I have some Specialized MTB "Comp" which aren't actually Carbon they are the next grade down

Also use shock absorbing insoles.  Stuff about feet on the blog https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/happy-feet/

Phil W

« Reply #48 on: 12 July, 2019, 05:44:09 pm »
^^^^ this - stiff soles are the key to comfort over long distance. As to the rest, wear whatever worked for you on your qualifiers. No need to change just for PBP.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #49 on: 12 July, 2019, 05:55:06 pm »
Shimano SPD sandals of course !

For me, this works best. With socks when it's dark enough to get away with it :)
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands