Author Topic: Deconstruct please  (Read 1513 times)

Deconstruct please
« on: 20 June, 2011, 11:24:09 am »
My daughter has requested that I try to copy one of these for her birthday cake Choccywoccydoodah.com - All You Need is Love or the like Choccywoccydoodah.com - All Cakes

Trying to work out from piccies how they did it. Chocolate? Sugar paste? What cake underneath? any interior scaffolding? Any thoughts (apart from slobber) ?

Choccywoccydoodah has to be one of the better names of all time.

Re: Deconstruct please
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:51:15 am »
Jeez that is a 6 tier cake to feed 400 people, is she having a massive party?

Looks to me like you could use any fairly solid cake like a fruit cake in tiers iced with or without marzipan underneath and then all the fancy icing and chocolate shapes added to the outside. I've never made anything like this so can't really offer any useful advice
(e.g. when asked to make a Buzz Lightyear cake I made a blue cake and stuck a plastic Disney Buzz figure on the top!).

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:54:36 am »
I'd agree.  think wedding cake but with more sugar on the outside.

What would I do?
chocolate biscuit cake (broken biscuits stuck together with cocoa/icingsugar/butter/forgot the last ingredient, possibly golden syrup sauce)
This 'cooks' in the fridge so you can shape to a cone.
Then cover with butter icing
Then stick decorations (prepurchased unless you are a whizz with that sort of thing) on top.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

iakobski

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2011, 01:01:36 pm »
Clicking on the "find out more" shows that it's a heavy-ish layered sponge underneath. The decoration (as the company name suggests) is coloured white chocolate, either moulded (the big letters, hearts) or hand shaped for the flowers.

Have you phoned and asked how much?  ;) There's a huge amount of work there.

Assuming your daughter is not actually after something over a metre high for 400 people, and you have a LOT of time on your hands, then you could:

Make a set of cakes of different sizes and stack them up (hire a set of tins from the cake shop). Sponge will probably be ok but cut the tops off so they stack square.
The cake shop will also be able to sell you some big sugar letters.
For the rest of the decorations use fondant moulding paste - make out of glucose and icing sugar - it's *much* easier to work with than chocolate.
To cover the cake before putting on the decorations, you can use more fondant icing - it's very easy to fix if you tear it or cock it up. Or you could use a white chocolate fudge iciing (or even callebaut coating-grade white chocolate if you can get it) which you can pour over from the top and it will flow down and set semi-hard.
The local library will probably have a shelf full of books on how to make flowers out of moulding paste.
Watered-down food colouring and modelling paintbrushes for the detail...

Simples!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:04:34 pm »
Do this instead Dalek Chocolate Cake  Recipe

I did it once and the head fell off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:24:03 pm »
Interesting, not sure she'd be impressed with an extermicake. There are a few good ideas there, have to see how it goes

I'm not yet entirely convinced about the structural strength of sponge for a Cake of Height, especially when the weight of icing is applied, and fruit cake is likely to be be a bit heavy.

My main 3-D experience was this Queen jubilee cake, which had some interior scaffolding, although most of it is cake: