Author Topic: Breakfast without cereals..?  (Read 7593 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Breakfast without cereals..?
« Reply #50 on: 13 June, 2011, 02:42:09 pm »
Breakfasts round the world vary enormously; they mostly all work for those who consume them.
Miniao is 13 and should be able to fix own breakfast.
Maybe add some SCIENCE to the recipe:

Give mini freedom of kitchen; she can eat whatever she likes, within reason.

Mini must note what is eaten every morning.
Mini must also note the time she next feel hungry, what she then eats and when.

Mini will then learn what kind of breakfast 'works', which breakfast foods 'last' and whether these have any effect on schoolwork.

Afterthought:has mini become milk intolerant?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 13 June, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »
Breakfast chez Jurek, most mornings:
Mango, bananananana, grapes, blue berries. All rolled in about (ok, this is where the no cereal bit might fail) three or four tbsp of reduced sugar Alpen. Avec milk.
As in borówki or jagody? Just curious! I find the former bland in comparison.
I didn't think it was either as borówki I've always known as cranberries, and jagody I've always known as the blackberries that grow prolifically in hedgerows throughout the UK.
However, I've just looked in the book of words and in there it states borówka amerykanska is in fact blueberry.
Yeah, borówki are the big, fat American blueberries (bilberries?) with the white flesh inside, which are also sold here, whereas  jagody are small, almost black all the way through, sweet-bitter taste. They grow wild in forests in Poland and presumably elsewhere in northern Europe. A bit like blackberries, or jeżyny in fact, though they're a very different fruit.

Breakfasts round the world vary enormously; they mostly all work for those who consume them.
Idli-chutney - a kind of steamed rice cake with coconut sauce - or masala dosa both worked well for me in India, but I never got used to the rice with chickpea thing!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 13 June, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
*thinks back to age 13*

Nothing for breakfast proper but a sausage roll from the canteen at 10.30am (morning break), usually.  Past the age of 11 or so I've always found eating a meal in the morning challenging.  I tend not to be hungry until 9 or 10am so I eat breakfast at my desk now.  At 13 it was in the classroom before school. 

Phew. I was getting worried that I was the only one! Similarly, I stopped liking breakfast at the age of 12-13 - the compromise I came to with my parents was that I would have a very small yogurt or chocolate mousse (mostly air), and they wouldn't nag me.

+2

I think it was around that age I gave up on the compromise (since I was maybe 9 or 10?) yoghurt and did just fine on nothing until at least lunchtime, except perhaps a chocolate bar if I was doing something that required concentration.  I don't get hungry until I start eating, though I'll start to feel a bit nauseous (though still not hungry) in the late afternoon if I don't.

I'm also suspicious that this is related to my tendancy towards being nocturnal: I can override my body by being awake in the morning, but my metabolism takes a while to catch up.  Note that delayed sleep phase is natural and common in adolescents, and as a species they tend to be more functional if you go along with it...

These days I force myself to eat more regularly, because the build-up of excess bile causes horrible TMI bowel nastiness later if I don't.  If I know I'm going to need energy (eg. for cycling), I'll bootstrap my hunger reflex with something easy like chocolate before making myself eat proper food.

Like most things food-related, I'm acutely aware that this makes me  a) unhealthy  and  b) a freak  - accepting this and learning not to care what other people think is however a work in progress.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #53 on: 13 June, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »
My old grandma gave my granpa a slice of porage from the porage drawer before he headed down the dockyard to work.   Dunno if that counts as cereal or not?

(aka making porage very thick so you can pour it into a suitable container, let it cool, then cut a slice off...)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #54 on: 21 June, 2011, 01:27:36 am »
Breakkie was and still is onion omelette type thing on toast.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #55 on: 21 June, 2011, 01:29:22 am »
Observations on breakfast cereals  -  have a look at the amount of sugar in each - frightening amounts.
Cereals are heavily marketed as being "healthy"  -its just marketing. They're highly processed foods, which must have a huge profit margin.
And look at the added vitamins claims - as far as I know this was mandatory, as breakfast cereals would have no vitamins at all. Advertising turns a necessity into a plus point - and we swallow it (pun intended).

Having said all of the above, I breakfast on Lizis Granola every morning. Low GI, no added sugar at all, and its quite delicious. Its the antithesis of the highly processed wheat in other breakfast cereals.

Talking about protein though - kippers are very cheap. Don't see a 13 year old eating them voluntarily though!
Bacon sarnies on the other hand....

Last programme I saw was over 1000%, it's normally a waste product of their other stuff especially stuff like special K.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #56 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
Was it "The Foods That Make Billions"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/11/the-foods-that-make-billions.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wk8gd

They were about breakfast cereals, bottled water and yoghurt.

As to what to eat for breakfast, just eat whatever you eat for your other meals.