Author Topic: Breakfast without cereals..?  (Read 7632 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Breakfast without cereals..?
« Reply #25 on: 10 June, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »
I like this one too.

YouTube
        - ‪danielush-Eating Passta- 2.2 years‬‏

Yoffee! (sp?)
<Aside - is Danielush a "proper" Hebrew name or is it a diminutive? Little Cudzo, who seems to be reminded of himself at that age, says "they should call him Pastush!" The -ush ending works as a soft diminutive in Polish - in fact I use it for him!>

Daniel is a proper name. 'Ush' (should it be ucz?) is, as you say, a diminutive of Polish origin.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 10 June, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »
I like this one too.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEAxqUlDwDo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SEAxqUlDwDo&rel=1</a>
Yoffee! (sp?)
<Aside - is Danielush a "proper" Hebrew name or is it a diminutive? Little Cudzo, who seems to be reminded of himself at that age, says "they should call him Pastush!" The -ush ending works as a soft diminutive in Polish - in fact I use it for him!>

Daniel is a proper name. 'Ush' (should it be ucz?) is, as you say, a diminutive of Polish origin.
In Polish it would be -us, but with an accent over the s making it a soft "shi" sound. Definitely sh not cz, though of course I have no idea how being filtered through Hebrew alters it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »
*thinks back to age 13*

Nothing for breakfast proper but a sausage roll from the canteen at 10.30am (morning break), usually.  Past the age of 11 or so I've always found eating a meal in the morning challenging.  I tend not to be hungry until 9 or 10am so I eat breakfast at my desk now.  At 13 it was in the classroom before school. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »
We have a box of mini Shredded Wheat in the house which the 13yo occasionally has for breakfast but none of us are big fans of cereal. He would happily have Coco Pops or something like that but we don't approve of that kind of thing.

We're all big fans of eggs, though. Poached, boiled or scrambled usually. Sometimes with a bit of bacon, maybe a grilled tomato.

Actually, grilled tomato on toast is rather good for breakfast (cf pizza, as mentioned earlier).

Granary toast with peanut butter and/or marmalade is another personal favourite. Or Marmite.

If you have time, pancakes are excellent for breakfast. To save time, you could make them the night before and reheat them. Or even have them out of a packet.

One of my specialities is oaty bacon and egg pancakes - make a pancake batter with oats instead of flour and add bits chopped up bacon to the mix. The pancakes come out quite thick, more like blinis than crepes, so are quite portable too - you can take them with you if you have to rush off.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 11 June, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »
Pcolbeck junior has toasted muffins with honey every day for breakfast. Have offered him other stuff but he isn't keen. Doesn’t really matter so long as it fuels them up and isn’t mainly salt and sugar (like most breakfast cereals marketed at kids). The main thing is they eat something rather than running on empty all morning.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #30 on: 11 June, 2011, 05:29:50 pm »
Breakfast chez Jurek, most mornings:
Mango, bananananana, grapes, blue berries. All rolled in about (ok, this is where the no cereal bit might fail) three or four tbsp of reduced sugar Alpen. Avec milk.

« Reply #31 on: 11 June, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »
How on earth can you be organised enough to have those posh fruits to hand every day?  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
How on earth can you be organised enough to have those posh fruits to hand every day?  :D
Someone who wears shorts like that can have anything he wants.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »
I am still curious to know what colour they really are. Shall we guess?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:04:21 pm »
Can you use Photoshop or equivalent?

Actually, I reckon they are Blueberry, to match his breakfast. Or mango.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:55:11 am »
Mango, bananananana, grapes, blue berries. All rolled in about (ok, this is where the no cereal bit might fail) three or four tbsp of reduced sugar Alpen. Avec milk.
As in borówki or jagody? Just curious! I find the former bland in comparison.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #36 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:10:52 am »
*thinks back to age 13*

Nothing for breakfast proper but a sausage roll from the canteen at 10.30am (morning break), usually.  Past the age of 11 or so I've always found eating a meal in the morning challenging.  I tend not to be hungry until 9 or 10am so I eat breakfast at my desk now.  At 13 it was in the classroom before school. 

Phew. I was getting worried that I was the only one! Similarly, I stopped liking breakfast at the age of 12-13 - the compromise I came to with my parents was that I would have a very small yogurt or chocolate mousse (mostly air), and they wouldn't nag me. I would then eat most of my lunch at 11:00, and that was fine. If I'm having a leisurely day then I'll have boiled eggs and soldiers, or a pain au chocolat, but on a work day I can't face the thought of breakfast - the first meal of the day is lunch.

The only time I did breakfast seriously was when I was doing a very labour-intensive job (on top of cycling at least 20 miles a day and doing 4-6 hours of Ashtanga each week). Then I was having breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, a large lunch, afternoon tea, pre-dinner nibbles and dinner. And was the thinnest I'd ever been in my life.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #37 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:21:49 am »
I stopped liking breakfast at about the same time I stopped growing.  ;D

« Reply #38 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:22:06 am »
As in borówki or jagody? Just curious! I find the former bland in comparison.
I didn't think it was either as borówki I've always known as cranberries, and jagody I've always known as the blackberries that grow prolifically in hedgerows throughout the UK.
However, I've just looked in the book of words and in there it states borówka amerykanska is in fact blueberry.

How on earth can you be organised enough to have those posh fruits to hand every day?  :D
Could we not bring my shorts to the breakfast table, please. :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 12 June, 2011, 12:12:24 pm »
I stopped liking breakfast at about the same time I stopped growing.  ;D

Correlation or causation?  ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #40 on: 12 June, 2011, 12:14:44 pm »
You forgot your wally, Jurek.  How about having a pickled cumber for breakfast?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #41 on: 12 June, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
You forgot your wally, Jurek.  How about having a pickled cumber for breakfast?
Hmmm.... that's more of a mid-morning snack - and you can't have just the one. Can you?

« Reply #42 on: 12 June, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
How on earth can you be organised enough to have those posh fruits to hand every day?  :D
Could we not bring my shorts to the breakfast table, please. :P

;D  :-*

« Reply #43 on: 12 June, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
One of the delights of my weekly Euro-travels is the 'Continental' style of brekkie, not Croissants though fab with Apricot jam, but the Salami, Ham, Proscuitttio, and thin sliced cheese ... I've found these go bizarrely well with tinned .Peaches or Apricots.  In fact tinned fruit + Yoghurt is pretty good too. 

I never eat cereals for brekkie when travelling and rarely eat bread, I find the meat, cheese and fruit combo keeps me satiated for a long while.

An alternative is the Brazillian breakfats, 47 varieties of cake  ;D

« Reply #44 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »
Some good idea ideas...    :thumbsup:  See what happens this week...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #45 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »
The courgette muffins from Abel and Cole's stack of recipes look like a great brekky idea, and sugar-free.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #46 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »
EldestCub always loves the fact that at my elder sister's house they eat all sorts of non-standard stuff for breakfast.  Pasta and soup were two of his favourites.  One of his cousins there particularly likes rice with spinach and lots of lemon juice for breakfast.

« Reply #47 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:49:16 pm »
Cheese and Ham toastie?
Rice pud?
Ham 'n Eggs?
Omelette?
Bacon Sarnie?

« Reply #48 on: 13 June, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »
Some good ideas here!

This am. they had natural yoghurt and apricots & also toasted wholemeal muffin.  It's officially "interesting breakfast 'week'"...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #49 on: 13 June, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
Some good ideas here!

This am. they had natural yoghurt and apicots & also toasted wholemeal muffin.  It's officially "interesting breakfast 'week'"...   :)
What time's brekkie tomorrow?
 ;)