Author Topic: Jens is going to try the hour!  (Read 12731 times)

Re: Jens is going to try the hour!
« Reply #50 on: 18 September, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »
Fantastic !!!!  I was amongst the thousands roaring him up Cote de Cray earlier this Summer. Does this make him an official legend now ?
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 18 September, 2014, 09:18:57 pm »
He's been an official legend for yonks, surely?
 :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #52 on: 18 September, 2014, 09:58:21 pm »
I'll be congratulating him in person on Saturday!  ;D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #53 on: 19 September, 2014, 06:19:03 am »
Product testing for the benefit of Cancellara? Good luck to him, though I don't thnk he's got a hope.

I think he'll crack it. The bar's been set at 49.7km, and I understand he's been near 51km in training. It won't last long, though. Tony Martin, Spartacus and Wiggo are all capable of probably pushing Boardman's record on the kit now allowed.

This and the referendum - I'm on a roll!

« Reply #54 on: 19 September, 2014, 11:42:20 am »
I've just read that the UCI has again changed the rules on bikes for the hour record, it's now a complete mess regards to previous records!

Apparently, the new rule is the bike has to be UCI legal for a pursuit bike according to whatever the rules are currently, and the distance Voight had to beat was 49.7km set by Ondrej Sosenka (which was called the athlete's record, on a bike similar to Merckx's, which both are still UCI legal, I presume).

This means the "superman" hour records don't count because the position is not currently UCI legal.

But what about Rominger's record of 55.291km? As far as I can see, that was set on a bike similar to Voight's, ie tri bars and disc wheels. It seems the UCI are saying Rominger's bike is not currently UCI legal.

So I don't think Voight has beaten the hour record!

« Reply #55 on: 19 September, 2014, 11:50:30 am »
UCI unified record (from 2014),
UCI hour record (until 2014),
UCI best human effort (1972–2014)

Jens has set the UCI Unified record. Boardman holds the UCI best human effort (which ignores recumbents)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #56 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »
Now that tri bars and disc wheels are allowed, then I'd expect the previous record of 49.7km set by Ondrej Sosenka on wire spoked wheels and drop bars to be easily broken.

Voight just happens to be the first to jump in.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:09:08 pm »
The last rider to set an hour record in a conventional pursuit position (OK, so Obree beat it later in the "tuck") and who is above suspicion was Boardman with 52.720km in 1993

This is the important point. I don't think that it has changed either.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #58 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »
On the subject of music is there a separate record for those attempting the hour listening only to music which would have been available to Eddy Merckx?  Using contemporary headphones.

« Reply #59 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:23:03 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 20 September, 2014, 11:16:15 am »
How do velodrome speeds map to public highway TT speeds?

[Discuss. :-P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #61 on: 20 September, 2014, 01:04:46 pm »
Jens's 51.115 km distance is a speed of 31.748 mph, which gives a 25 mile time of 47:15 and a 30 mile time of 56:42.  The CTT record for those distances are 45:43 (Matt Bottrill earlier this year) and 55:39 (Hutch in 2011) respectively.  They had more weather, Jens had rather a lot more corners.  It's worth noting that both of those names have tried/planned to do the hour; both have been frustrated trying to navigate the bureaucracy as amateurs.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #62 on: 20 September, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »
On the subject of music is there a separate record for those attempting the hour listening only to music which would have been available to Eddy Merckx?  Using contemporary headphones.

A double LP?     :P ;D
Jennifer - Walker of hills

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 20 September, 2014, 05:30:05 pm »
Jens's 51.115 km distance is a speed of 31.748 mph, which gives a 25 mile time of 47:15 and a 30 mile time of 56:42.  The CTT record for those distances are 45:43 (Matt Bottrill earlier this year) and 55:39 (Hutch in 2011) respectively.  They had more weather, Jens had rather a lot more corners.  It's worth noting that both of those names have tried/planned to do the hour; both have been frustrated trying to navigate the bureaucracy as amateurs.
Thanks. That latter issue is absurd, but standard UCI. (Although the previous record-holder may have influenced them somewhat :-(  )

Anyway- has anyone analysed the effects of slower tarmac vs those extra corners? And were those comp records on 'helpful' courses?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #64 on: 20 September, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »
Not that I know of. 

As for Hutch and Botty, it's worth pointing out that he did eventually get to try the hour, but mutual incompetence between the UCI and his bike sponsor Giant meant that he didn't get his bike until the night before, with predictable consequences.  Botty's experience was completely standard UCI.  I think that given that both riders will have felt they were in the ballpark (I think Hutch did then a later run where he was up on the record at 40 minutes but ran out of time at the velodrome), we can conclude that doing the hour at Jens speed is somewhere in the region of doing a 45 minute 25. 

(I'm guessing LWaB will be along in a minute to tell me why I'm talking bollocks)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #65 on: 20 September, 2014, 08:58:28 pm »
Not from here. I've never TTed at that sort of speed, only pursuits and that was a long time ago.

Wood tracks are very low rolling resistance compared to even excellent hotmix but how much traffic assistance did those TT records have? Aussie TTers have always figured that Brit TTers gained several minutes just from the traffic. How many minutes though?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #66 on: 20 September, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »
I have no idea about the 30.  The 25 was on the Welsh course with a gift hill though.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #67 on: 29 October, 2014, 09:03:59 am »
Look out Jensy ( ::-) ) Mattias Brandle (IAM pro) attempt live on Eurosport tomorrow 5.45pm.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #68 on: 30 October, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »
A strong attempt to take Jensi's record right now

http://youtu.be/VYqVdAI-1zw

« Reply #69 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:05:16 pm »
And he's done it! Despite everyone banging on about the 200m track...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #70 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »
51.850 looks like the distance to beat now
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #71 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:07:30 pm »
He struggled quite a bit the last 10 minutes, but he did it.. brilliant work 51,850 km/hour  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #72 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »
Nice work.  I didn't think he'd do it with a big gear and a small track, then thought he was blowing up at about 50 minutes, but he pulled through and did it.  I wonder how much bigger his contract just became?

Of course, Boardman did 52.27 on tribars before he switched to superman  :demon:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #73 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:03:51 pm »
I think if the big boys do  it they will want to unify the records by beating boardman's record
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #74 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:38:21 am »
I think if the big boys do  it they will want to unify the records by beating boardman's record

56.something? 

It would make sense for sure, but a heck of a leap. Rominger at 53.whatever looks very achievable by one of the big guns, but it'd take something special to overtake Superman Boardman.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of Brandle's ride, looked good! And he now has his name in the books for, I would guess, at least until late summer/autumn next year.

Good effort.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!