Author Topic: Beyond the Dales We Know 2019  (Read 2967 times)

Beyond the Dales We Know 2019
« on: 16 April, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »
Still a few spare cards if anyone else fancies a day out in the Dales(and a night to remember in Newby Wiske).

Re: Beyond the Dales We Know 2019
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:20:12 am »
Route looks a belter; I wouldn't mind a go at that sometime but I shall be doing something else on the day.

I can vouch for the after party  :thumbsup:

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:34:45 pm »
As I examine this route I realise that a 4am finish is becoming likely - what a lot of climbing in remote Pennine hills. I expect that last homely house will be Tebay Services and from then on it will be a long lonely ride. Good job the scenery is beautiful.

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »
I highly doubt that. But we'll still be up!

There'll be beer at the finish, but I reckon the last pub on the route is Ainderby Steeple, if you want a target for last orders.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:37:54 pm »
As I examine this route I realise that a 4am finish is becoming likely - what a lot of climbing in remote Pennine hills. I expect that last homely house will be Tebay Services and from then on it will be a long lonely ride. Good job the scenery is beautiful.

Such modest ambition. You will finish in front of me- or else!

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:53:31 pm »
Marlan will be pleased to see that the date again coincides with the Three Peaks fell race. Look out for the finish at Horton-in-Ribblesdale (and expect Horton to be busy).

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2019, 09:27:09 am »

Such modest ambition. You will finish in front of me- or else!

Sorry, 6am start: 2am finish. Even if I have to rush my pint at the last pub I do hope to get back to Newby Wiske before the cut off.

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:54:53 am »
Marlan will be pleased to see that the date again coincides with the Three Peaks fell race. Look out for the finish at Horton-in-Ribblesdale (and expect Horton to be busy).

Yes, last year I’m timed perfectly to see the winner coming off Ingleborough. Horton was busy, not with cars as most runners and spectators were already parked up.

Unfortunately I can’t make it this year, it’s a tough ride but very rewarding! The apres-Audax turns it into a great event, and Graeme you’ll be back in good time for cowbells and celebrations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:32:19 pm »

Bugger. I was hoping to stop at the Pen y Ghent cafe for lunch.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:25:09 am »
No2Daughter & I will be stamping cards and applauding at Halton Gill.
Any reasonable requests catered for- just let me know.

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:40:05 am »
Don't let it rain.   :thumbsup: :'( ;D
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »
No2Daughter & I will be stamping cards and applauding at Halton Gill.
Any reasonable requests catered for- just let me know.

Puts on thinking cap.

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:45:50 pm »
Running the GPX track on the "Weather Bagel" site, it tells me that, I am going to get a prewash, main wash, and rinse along with a good blow dry from Ilkley to Tebay. Suppose its better than snow and ice. I hope I have some Fabsil Gold kicking around to give my jacket a good soaking in tomorrow in preparation for the worst.

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2019, 01:33:37 pm »
Looks like a robust weather day tomorrow.

There's plenty of baking sounds & smells coming from the kitchen, so you'll all be fuelled well for the Halton Gill grimp.

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:48:49 am »
It probably looked like a good idea last weekend.
 Thanks for being there.
The quiche effect got me to Ribblehead and I was still eating traybake after Tebay.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:11:14 pm »
For anyone that doesn't frequent Facebook, I'll post a link to my video on YouTube this evening.  Featuring my highlights from the day's ride in the Yorkshire Dales.

Thanks again to Dean for the route and organisation it was very appreciated and of course Mike as well for allowing us to "trash" his farm at the after party.  Hope everyone who was riding back home after the event got home safely.  I for one am enjoying a very lazy Sunday feet up on the sofa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsFt4v9DSA
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #16 on: 28 April, 2019, 09:22:43 pm »
The 50km ride was a very gentle introduction into the world of audax. 
I hope everyone doing the longer rides got back safely, the weather conditions did worsen as the day went on.
Thank you all for the company an encouragement.
Flite

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:36:17 am »
The 50km ride was a very gentle introduction into the world of audax. 
I hope everyone doing the longer rides got back safely, the weather conditions did worsen as the day went on.
Thank you all for the company an encouragement.
Flite

Next year I'm doing the 50km ride instead. :)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:39:11 am »
It was beautiful though. I paused to snap this photo in the late afternoon sunshine and tailwind from Sedburgh to Tebay.

IMG_20190427_161252197_HDR by Graeme, on Flickr

« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2019, 12:28:26 pm »
Thanks to Dean and all the helpers for a great event. The cake and food was excellent, a big thank you for control team at Halton Gill for the tea and cake  My shoes were still wet last night

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:01:12 pm »
Well, it seemed to go well, but it's frustrating that the weather either side of the day itself seems to have been more-or-less perfect. I don't think the weather forecast hugely affected entries (apart from one rider who confessed that he didn't fancy it on the Saturday, so went and rode it from home on the Sunday). Still, if you don't want to ride in the rain, don't go and enter a ride around the Dales :)

40 starters on the day, 2 DNF, and three hors delai (we fed the last one at 2.55 am, and the other two just went straight home). I was lucky to have lots of helpers on the day, including whosatthewheel and partner, as well as my usual bunch of hangers-on. Chris and boab's van of goodies down Littondale was extremely well-spoken of.

Subject to discussion with our hosts in Newby Wiske, the ride will go ahead again next year. Maybe in summer, though.

Some bedraggled riders and thousand-yard stares here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wByu4jBZc5M5ZNVV8

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:40:26 pm »
I'll tip my (fictional) hat to anyone who finished - all I had to do was stand next to a nice warm stove and serve tea/coffee/soup from a layby. Repeated bouts of proper upland rain is enough to chill even the warmest heart - even if we didn't have the big winds that events further south had.

It's always a fulfilling experience from the other side of the brevet card; when someone arrives at your control barely able to stay upright on their bike, and leaves in a more-or-less OK state.