Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2294 times)

Tyres
« on: 30 April, 2019, 06:29:14 pm »
Good people,   Have always used Conti Gatorskins, very few punctures or problems.  But have just purchased some new ones cannot fit them without puncturing the tubes, this might be partly getting older and hands not so strong or have they made the wire tighter?  Does anyone else have this problem, and if so is there an easier tyre to fit that is as good.  Doing another 300 this weekend so do need to get it sorted.  Thanks.

dat

Re: Tyres
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:35:53 pm »
If you want a loose tyre I've found Vittoria corsa g+ quite loose. I've also thrown on some Continental GP5000 and found them fairly loose but still a little bit tighter that the corsa's. Either way, both will ride 100x better that the gatorskins.

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »
No it doesn't. Not all of the site is about weight.

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:50:40 pm »
Doesn't matter. That graph is a crime against humanity, or at least mathematics.

dat

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:55:15 pm »
Doesn't matter. That graph is a crime against humanity, or at least mathematics.
May I ask why? It's zoomed in on the section of data that is relevant. It does exaggerate the difference but I doubt the type of nerds that go on a site like that would know how to read data.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2019, 07:17:41 pm »
May I ask why? It's zoomed in on the section of data that is relevant. It does exaggerate the difference but I doubt the type of nerds that go on a site like that would know how to read data.
Surely 'nerds' are just the ones who would know how to interpret graphs.
Anyway the subsequent 'puncture resistance' graph is more pertinent - I'm tryiong to compare (roughly) like with like, and the Michelins go on pretty easily btw.

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2019, 07:26:15 pm »

The relevant takeaway is that they all weigh similar amounts, not that one weighs ten times as much as the others. If you have to start squinting at the scale to ascertain that meaning then there was no point presenting the numbers in visual format in the first place.

Anyway the subsequent 'puncture resistance' graph is more pertinent - I'm tryiong to compare (roughly) like with like, and the Michelins go on pretty easily btw.

You might like to read the methodology for the puncture resistance test and ask how relevant it seems to the kind of puncture you have.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:57:15 pm »
I'd test tyres on a wet day on a loop around Ibworth and Hannington, when the special breed of fairies that eat kevlar for breakfast are out.  The combination of flint flakes of all sizes, ribs and ridges on the road and water filled potholes is enough to simulate potential puncture conditions where the impacts and penetrations come at all angles and pressures.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2019, 06:16:49 am »

The relevant takeaway is that they all weigh similar amounts, not that one weighs ten times as much as the others. If you have to start squinting at the scale to ascertain that meaning then there was no point presenting the numbers in visual format in the first place.

I'm sure most of us are able to read numbers and understand the scale.

You might like to read the methodology for the puncture resistance test and ask how relevant it seems to the kind of puncture you have.

Doesn't seem an unreasonable methodology to me. The key thing is it is consistent and repeatable.

What methodology would you suggest?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2019, 08:42:52 pm »
I'd test tyres on a wet day on a loop around Ibworth and Hannington, when the special breed of fairies that eat kevlar for breakfast are out.  The combination of flint flakes of all sizes, ribs and ridges on the road and water filled potholes is enough to simulate potential puncture conditions where the impacts and penetrations come at all angles and pressures.
I cycle out of Reading and the part of the world CET mentions is flint central. Did a club run round there once and had so many punctures in the group we had to resort to patches. Yes more than 2 punctures each.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2019, 09:26:29 am »
The OP was looking for an easier to fit tyre than Wire bead Gatorskins.  I'm using Conti Gran Sport which are a similar but faster and of course not quite as puncture resistant. They are folders and easy for me to fit on my rims.

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2019, 09:35:35 am »
When you rise to the challenge of suggesting a more relevant puncture resistance testing methodology, perhaps you'd like to use a resume of the causes of last 3 years' punctures you have experienced to support its superiority over the methodology bicyclerollingresistance.com uses. One can infer from other comments (and wider experience) that the nature of the roads people habitually cycle on varies from country to country and county to county. If one rides in 'flint central' that will influence riders' tyre choices. There's no point in just admitting '"we're doomed" and choosing tyres on their low rolling resistance, superb grip or durability.
The OP was looking for an easier to fit tyre than Wire bead Gatorskins.  I'm using Conti Gran Sport which are a similar but faster and of course not quite as puncture resistant. They are folders and easy for me to fit on my rims.
I too think the OP would find folders easier to fit (but still needed to be reasonably puncture resistant (whatever metric used), which is why the comparison I offered a link to was C Gatorskins v C 4 Seasons v M Pro4s (the latter two folders but more robust than 4000s or, indeed, 5000s).
Rim v Tyre 'tightness' thread: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53372.0