Author Topic: Off-road audax  (Read 23181 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Off-road audax
« Reply #50 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:29:06 pm »
I've asked before.  What is this 50% criterion?  To meet which regulation?  For what?!

The AUK regulations, 7.3. http://www.aukweb.net/official/aukregs/
(c) Off-road events have a route consisting of not less than 50% designated bridleway, byway or any other right of way open to cyclists as is acceptable to the U.K. events secretary as Off-road or Rough Stuff. The event must be designated as Off-road or Rough Stuff in the title.

You could still organise a regular audax, with some off-road sections (less than 50%). It just wouldn't be officially listed as off-road in the calendar, and it wouldn't count for any off-road awards etc.

« Reply #51 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:32:40 pm »
Thanks, Fuaran.  I'm assuming the time restrictions are the same as for road events?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:49:48 pm »
They are generally BPs, so the time limits are set by the organiser.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #53 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »
That looks ideal. Needs a bit of a tweak to bring it up over the 50% of road criteria but I can  see a few options that shouldn't change the character of the route.

I think there's a New Years Ride coming on. Does anyone fancy a muddy jaunt leaving from Hassop on Jan 3rd?

I could be up for that. More info'? :)

« Reply #54 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »

I was thinking of DIY 200s, of which I've roughed out several, most of which are at least 80% off road.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #55 on: 16 December, 2015, 10:32:39 pm »
I've asked before.  What is this 50% criterion?  To meet which regulation?  For what?!

Actubobs... Wot Peter said.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 16 December, 2015, 10:44:22 pm »

« Reply #57 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:39:22 pm »
Thanks, D, it was!

« Reply #58 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »

I was thinking of DIY 200s, of which I've roughed out several, most of which are at least 80% off road.

I think if it ever got to the point where a off-road 200 were being prepared as a calendar, it would be prudent to request an adjustment of the time limits from the board.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #59 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:57:08 pm »
It should be possible to do a 200km Brevet Populaire, which would allow more relaxed speeds.

« Reply #60 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:20:16 pm »
True, but I think it should be completely reasonable to use a 200k as part of an SR series so I think it should be a BR.

« Reply #61 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »
That looks ideal. Needs a bit of a tweak to bring it up over the 50% of road criteria but I can  see a few options that shouldn't change the character of the route.

I think there's a New Years Ride coming on. Does anyone fancy a muddy jaunt leaving from Hassop on Jan 3rd?

Notionally speaking, 8am start at Hassop. I'll consult with the Mrs and check there aren't other plans afoot.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #62 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »
True, but I think it should be completely reasonable to use a 200k as part of an SR series so I think it should be a BR.
I think there's no chance of a BR at less than 14.3kph. That is part of the AUK regulations, so would probably need an AGM motion to change.

I think it would be better to have some sort of separate off-road awards.

« Reply #63 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »

Notionally speaking, 8am start at Hassop. I'll consult with the Mrs and check there aren't other plans afoot.

I might be able to do this, too, though I'm not sure about the company!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:39:13 pm »
It might be worth keeping in mind that BRs may eventually swap back to the international standard of 15 km/h, rather than the current 14.3km/h.

« Reply #65 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Thanks, D.  I've no real desire to have any regulations changed.  If I can't get round the course in the time, so be it.  As texters might say "IJABR" !

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #66 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
Thanks, D.  I've no real desire to have any regulations changed.  If I can't get round the course in the time, so be it.  As texters might say "IJABR" !

In Joy a beer? :-\

« Reply #67 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »

In Joy a beer? :-\

It's Just A Bike Ride, I think.

(I think yours works better as In Beer, Joy.)

« Reply #68 on: 17 December, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Sabine has it, though I'm beginning to think "I'm Just a Broken Reed" might be appropriate, too!

@ Seldom Killer

I haven't got a mountain bike and I don't remember seeing one at JayP's when I last broke in.  What kind of route have you got in mind?  I can run to 28's and have found 23s fine on the rail trails if it's dry (the 28's were fine when it was wet).

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #69 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:32:38 pm »
Insisting on a mountain bike when you go off road is a sign of weakness. :smug:

« Reply #70 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »
That's the spirit!

« Reply #71 on: 18 December, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
For Jan 3rd I'm just planning on doing the Lutudarum mostly as is but starting from Hassop. As far as I can see, it should be doable on a road bike albeit it's likely to be mucky. If you don't have tread then some of the sections may be more challenging than they would be in Summer.

I'll probably not be on my road bike because I like to keep it cleanish. If I haven't killed the cyclocross bike racing on the Friday then I'll be on that. It's a single speed so no speed heroics from me. If it isn't in good order then it'll be the 29er.

In general, I think that off-road audax routes should be optimised for cyclocross bikes at their most technical. That means they'll be doable on a road bike and definitely not demanding the capabilities of a mountain bike. I'd certainly never stipulate use of mountain bikes, only the time limit and your own sense of a challenge attempted will tell you if your choice of steed was anything less than perfect.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #72 on: 18 December, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »
For Jan 3rd I'm just planning on doing the Lutudarum mostly as is but starting from Hassop. As far as I can see, it should be doable on a road bike albeit it's likely to be mucky. If you don't have tread then some of the sections may be more challenging than they would be in Summer.

I'll probably not be on my road bike because I like to keep it cleanish. If I haven't killed the cyclocross bike racing on the Friday then I'll be on that. It's a single speed so no speed heroics from me. If it isn't in good order then it'll be the 29er.

In general, I think that off-road audax routes should be optimised for cyclocross bikes at their most technical. That means they'll be doable on a road bike and definitely not demanding the capabilities of a mountain bike. I'd certainly never stipulate use of mountain bikes, only the time limit and your own sense of a challenge attempted will tell you if your choice of steed was anything less than perfect.

Sounds good to me.

Thank God for that

YES

I've never ridden Lutudarum on anything other than 700/23 - but the anticlock' route round Carsington Water perimeter will be a challenge given recent rainfall - no worries we just take the clockwise route which is well drained.

Peter you could call at my place and over to Hassop with me.

Anybody else fancy starting the new year with a bit of comedy? :)

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #73 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:12:46 pm »
IJABR: Sept'14 I rode the full Trans-Pennine Trail, 215miles, Southport - Hornsea, which is predominantly off road from Southport to Thorne, then does a bit of road (as used in the Spurn Head 400) to Hull, then off-piste again. Doable on 28c tyres (though I'd do it again on a hardtail MTB for the coarse gritty sections east of Hull which played havoc with the hands on day 3). There was a stunning bit of singletrack in the middle of the Pennines which was interesting with panniers and "skinny" tyres, particularly when trying to keep tabs with my MTB riding partner.
With pubs, a thai kitchen cafe, farm shops and the odd village, there would be plenty opportunity for controls/feeds. Could have the basis of a great ride, particularly with the North-South link sections on the eastern flanks of the Pennines which link towards Leeds and Sheffield. It would need a bit of planning methinks (but I'm not volunteering - only throwing the suggestion to the winds of chance).
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #74 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:14:35 pm »
Anybody else fancy starting the new year with a bit of comedy? :)
Me!
Unfortunately we're signed up for a club ride that day.
Boo!
 :(

Uncle Peter- make sure you get pictures!