Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 60727 times)

Samuel D

Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #425 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
I thought England’s game against Sweden was a huge improvement over their previous games. There was some nice playmaking, running off the ball, dribbling into the box, etc., rather than the stodgy fare of set pieces and the theoretical passing game. On the latter, I think English kids will never again have the first-touch control and natural dribbling skills needed to make a success of the passing game. This is learned by playing among yourselves as kids on 5-degree inclined pitches … the sort of thing no talented English child has a chance to do before being absorbed into a club environment and schooled to death on statistics-based theoretical football and physical fitness.

But based on the game against Sweden, England have a solid chance against both Croatia and Belgium or France. The Belgian and French teams may have played more attractive football in this World Cup, but they were forced to against opposition that also played better. And anyway, attractive football is no guarantee of success as shown by Brazil’s incredibly pressing football in the second half against Belgium being insufficient for them to advance.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #426 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:25:59 pm »
Southend borough council has seen fit to drape a lot of lamp posts in England flags.

They are all at half-mast.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #427 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »
The turnips will be World Champions if they win their next match: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficial_Football_World_Championships

And no matter what happens, the Official and Unofficial World Championships will be unified on Sunday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #428 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:48:16 pm »
The Belgian and French teams may have played more attractive football in this World Cup, but they were forced to against opposition that also played better.
That's the key thing in my view. Argentina, Belgium, Brazil and France adds up to far more lively football than Colombia, Croatia, Denmark, England, Russia, Sweden. Yes, England's game against Sweden was a great improvement – and against Croatia will probably be better still, because Croatia are better opposition – but still, compared to Belgium versus Brazil it was like flies in tar. Sure, no real saying who will win what and I'm far from knowledgeable on football anyway, but I'm expecting a more exciting game today than tomorrow. Mind you, I still intend watching both!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #429 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »
On the latter, I think English kids will never again have the first-touch control and natural dribbling skills needed to make a success of the passing game. This is learned by playing among yourselves as kids on 5-degree inclined pitches … the sort of thing no talented English child has a chance to do before being absorbed into a club environment and schooled to death on statistics-based theoretical football and physical fitness.
I think that's massively out of date - did you watch the England U20 and U17 world cup wins last summer? Youth football in this country has come on massively. There's an issue with the opportunities they get to advance in the senior game, but it's not because they lack a first touch.

In terms of this tournament, the best games have all been where a european side was playing a non-european side. I don't think this is due to lack of skill on anyone's behalf, just (to borrow a boxing phrase) that styles make fights and most european sides play in a similar way. Sadly (though probably deservedly) we have 4 european sides left - cue some dull games.

« Reply #430 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »
A small point (and knowing me, possibly an inaccurate one):-

In the public's perception, Jordan Pickford was man of the match against Sweden  I don't think there's much doubt about that.  A goalie is always going to be in the running when there is a back four as "fluid" as that!  But Harry Kane, who did nothing wrong but only touched the ball about twice, was voted several places above Sterling, who was bottom on a derisory score.  Now, I'm not a great Sterling fan but I think that one of the reasons Sweden put in what has been referred to as a lacklustre performance is that Sterling ran them ragged and tired them out.  Certainly he tried to score himself when passing might have been better but we've had years of so-called strikers so scared of being pilloried for missing that they'll pass to the opposition rather than risk missing, so at least he was having a go.

As for Sweden being lacklustre, if it hadn't been for Pickford, England might well have lost that game, so I hope there is a dose of realism being dished out in the dressing room by Gareth Southgate.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #431 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
I'm totally on your side, Peter. I can't believe the amount of stick Sterling gets. He's easily England's most creative player.

In fact, I went back to iplayer to re-watch a couple of key moments (to settle an argument!), and the commentator observed exactly the same as you around the 18 minute mark, ie that Sterling was unsettling the Sweden defence. He opened up the game for the whole team to shine.

As a Liverpool fan, I was a bit miffed at the circumstances of his move to City, but I can't argue that he has improved hugely as a player under Guardiola's guidance and I'm pleased to see him doing well. I really hope he gets a goal against Croatia - or even better, the winning goal in the final.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #432 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:43:49 pm »
Ha!  Henderson is also from Sunderland!  I hope Sterling scores, too.

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #433 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »
England are 16/1 to win the World cup.

If you don't understand betting or odds then that means that, if you place £10 on England to win the World cup, you lose your £10.

Maybe correct, but I reckon you'd get something on a cash in

What do we reckon, hold your nerve or take the cash

citoyen

« Reply #434 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »
Ha!  Henderson is also from Sunderland!  I hope Sterling scores, too.

Henderson also had a superb game against Sweden and is another player who often doesn't get the credit he deserves. He has really blossomed since being given the Liverpool captaincy.

Bairn Again

« Reply #435 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:42:27 pm »
England are 16/1 to win the World cup.

If you don't understand betting or odds then that means that, if you place £10 on England to win the World cup, you lose your £10.

Maybe correct, but I reckon you'd get something on a cash in

What do we reckon, hold your nerve or take the cash
I dont suspect that the cash out value is worth much if anything at this stage (and in any event a cash out by definition always represents bad odds)

If it were me Id hold my nerve until the final.  Then instead of cashing out I might stick a balancing "Win the final" bet on the opposition.

The difficulty is that England's opponents will probably be heavy favourites [EDIT - slight favourites, semi final odds imply a France v England final with France just odds on --- though the site Im looking at may have an England ££££ weight of betting bias], so guaranteed winnings may be modest eg 5 or 6 to 1....in which case you just say f**k it, pour yourself a stiff drink and buckle in for the final with your 16/1 cash on England. 

« Reply #436 on: 10 July, 2018, 09:16:50 pm »
Well that was a crap game.  I watched the TdF highlights and missed the first half - think I made the right decision.

« Reply #437 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:55:26 pm »
I dont suspect that the cash out value is worth much if anything at this stage (and in any event a cash out by definition always represents bad odds)

With £10 on England to win at 16/1 that's £170 in return.

England are roughly 3.65 to win the WC (decimal odds) so even with cash out paying half those odds I'd expect you'd get at least £25.

Cashing out is a very clever invention of bookies to help muddle people's thinking.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #438 on: 11 July, 2018, 02:45:59 am »
Well that was a crap game.  I watched the TdF highlights and missed the first half - think I made the right decision.

It was the wrong decision.  It was a great game - until the goal was scored.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #439 on: 11 July, 2018, 08:11:55 am »
Belgian France Info reporter last night: "Bad news never comes singly: first of all we lost and then Donald Trump arrived".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Bairn Again

« Reply #441 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:31:24 am »
Looking forward to seeing this guy Cammy Gnome that everybody is singing about. 

citoyen

« Reply #442 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:06:46 am »

« Reply #443 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:28:43 pm »
Croatia is the birthplace of the tie. http://tourdalmatia.com/history-tie-croatia-cravat/

I've been surprised not to see that worked in to headlines and commentary. Lack of erudition I suppose.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #444 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:52:57 pm »
As the fashion became a craving across Europe, only the wise knew of it’s origins. The word cravat derived from the French cravate, a corrupt French pronunciation of Croate.
Really? More likely to be from the Croat, Hrvat. Lack of erudition!(!)

To bring us back to football, here's a cup tie:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #445 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »
Hazard and Courtois are accusing France of "anti-football" meaning they simply defended after they'd taken the lead. I don't think that's fair. Belgium had most of the possession and to my inexpert eye looked the better side for the first half hour or so, but France made/exploited several chances right to the end of the game.

citoyen

« Reply #446 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:17:56 pm »
Surely that's Belgium's fault anyway for letting France score first?

Samuel D

« Reply #447 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »
I think that's massively out of date - did you watch the England U20 and U17 world cup wins last summer?

No. It’s based only on the games of this World Cup. English players are too often clumsy with the ball and rarely take a man on (Sterling excepted and he fails often). They mostly play a game of athletic power and endurance, set pieces, and statistical analysis. It works or they wouldn’t be in with a realistic chance of winning the World Cup, but it’s not usually pretty.

I spent my teenage years playing beach football in Brazil and received very little formal training (having no special talent, etc.). When I watch Brazilian players, very often they do what I fondly imagine I would do (if I had the skill and speed). When I watch England, the players much less often make the decisions I would. Especially the off-the-ball movement is highly theoretical, not the natural movement you learn by unschooled playing.

Hey, apparently schooling works. Go England!

Bairn Again

« Reply #448 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Its Kammy Gnome....

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #449 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:54:19 pm »
Actual photo of actual gnome actually given to Dr Davis last Christmas:

Crimble-Cromble, Parts 1 & 2 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Currently playing on the wing for Leyton Orient.  Trufax.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime