Author Topic: Bike for a five year old  (Read 1042 times)

Bike for a five year old
« on: 06 February, 2024, 12:06:33 pm »
Looking for advice on Grandson-Ham's next bike, as he's growing out of the current one. He's 1.14 tall, so at the top end of size for his age and very enthusiastic (this was six months ago). Any recommendations, especially if it has BMX-alike styling? Gears yet, or no? Anyone with anything to sell? (as s/hand is more appealing than new)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Bike for a five year old
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2024, 12:48:27 pm »
If you can find one, and are willing to pay the price, go for an Islabike as the lad will enjoy that rather than a heavy, cheap bike . . .  resale values are very high, such that you're almost "borrowing" the bike for free when you sell it.

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2024, 02:29:07 pm »
Frog bikes are also very good and possibly a bit cheaper (but there isn't much in it).  I don't know the Isla Bikes sizing but you would want a Frog 55 or 57 - the 57 is the more modern 55.  My granddaughter is 6 this week, and tall for her age, and she had a Frog 55 for Christmas and it has plenty of growing room in it.  it has 8 gears but she struggles to use the shifter so rides it single-speed which works fine.

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2024, 05:42:16 pm »
Any advice on sizes? Kids bikes appear to have confusing names and numbers that don't mean anything until you look them up, if we're onthe hunt for a s/h that makes life challenging.

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2024, 11:00:26 pm »
Any advice on sizes? Kids bikes appear to have confusing names and numbers that don't mean anything until you look them up, if we're onthe hunt for a s/h that makes life challenging.

Islabike sizes are on wheel size (I don't understand the Frog numbers either). Some of them are then also small or large frame. At age 5, my kids were moving from the 16" up to the 20" islabike. I'd say a very tall 5 year old might be able to get away with the 24", especially if they were very confident. Only downside I found for the 24" was limited tyre availability (no marathons!) but that might be better now.

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:34:46 am »
I have found great bargains locally on Face Ache market place.  Frog and Isla bikes are expensive 3nd hand as they hold their value by name.  The Carrera Cosmos (£200 new)is very good, light and reasonably specified. As it's not yummy mum recognised, being a H*lfords own brand it is often to be found in the £50-60 bracket 2nd hand.

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:27:52 pm »
Islabikes no longer sell children’s bikes so the secondhand ones are now like gold dust. Our granddaughters both currently have Isla’s but we will have to look elsewhere for the next bikes. Isla measured by inside leg which was pretty easy.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2024, 12:03:31 am »
I have found great bargains locally on Face Ache market place.  Frog and Isla bikes are expensive 3nd hand as they hold their value by name.  The Carrera Cosmos (£200 new)is very good, light and reasonably specified. As it's not yummy mum recognised, being a H*lfords own brand it is often to be found in the £50-60 bracket 2nd hand.
We got a Cosmos for our 4 year old granddaughter at Christmas. She loves it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2024, 02:38:24 pm »
Specialized have pretty effectively moved into the space vacated by Islabikes. I think ebay is your friend for children's bikes if you're capable of bike maintenance.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2024, 06:42:26 pm »
Also look for Squish Bikes (same group as Dawes/Claud Butler) which are similar to Frog & Isla.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2024, 10:02:35 pm »
Anyone seen the Wiggins Chartres kids bike? Looks pretty good, too

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2024, 10:49:54 pm »
Well, went with this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186291751647 for £75, resulting in one happy lad.

Special mention to the seller, who runs a little bike shed in a yard near Anerley station, selling (what looks to me like straight) second hand bikes at sensible prices, the sort of place you used to be able to find in most high streets, now no more.