Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72848 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« on: 06 December, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »
(following a PM from our mighty moderator, he suggested just starting a thread for 2013 to make it distinct from the 2012 thread).

So, after hearing so much about the Wessex Series and it's resurgence in perm form (championed by Hummers primarily), it is running as a full calendar series in 2013.  After having read some fantastic ride reports on each and every one of these events, I feel that this is a 'must-do' series for me, and 2013 looks perfect for the challenge.

http://aukweb.net/events/detail/13-175/ - Hard Boiled 300 - 6th April
http://aukweb.net/events/detail/13-110/ - Dorset Coast 200 - 7th April
http://aukweb.net/events/detail/13-400/ - Porkers 400 - 5th May
http://aukweb.net/events/detail/13-176/ - Brimstone 600 - 8th June

So, who's in?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »
Just to add, very much in the same vein is the delightfully named 'Primrose Path' (Google the Shakespearian reference), courtesy of Arthur Vince. Although not a qualifying distance for the series, it is certainly an introduction as to what awaits.

Primrose Path 100k - 24th February - Corscombe.

H

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »
Google the Shakespearian reference

Thanks, Hummers - hadn't realised it was a quote.
(That Shakespeare bloke used an awful lot of quotations.)

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2012, 04:21:33 pm »
A Wessex SR is one of my 2013 goals.  My entries will be sent in the New Year.

I'm really intruiged by the rides.  Dorset Coast I've done a couple of times and know it is generally easy, but with a couple of tough climbs (but nothing to be overly worried about).  But with 300km Hardboiled kilometres in the legs, it may be a different kettle of fish.  I think back to the 3D 300 (which I suspect may have similar terrain) and recall being ok at the end, but certainly not in the mood for another 200 the following day.

The 300, 400 and 600 are new to me though.  I have visions of overgrown lanes that civilisation rarely touches, with seemingly unfeasible wince inducing ups and panic inducing downs that corrode time buffers as quickly as your brake pads melt away into the dark.  All topped of with a need to navigate with the instincts of a carrier pigeon, whilst having a brain that feels the same size.

I may be wrong; it will be an adventure finding out.

Hummers

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2012, 05:55:57 pm »
Google the Shakespearian reference

Thanks, Hummers - hadn't realised it was a quote.
(That Shakespeare bloke used an awful lot of quotations.)

One of the highlights of this year's episode had to be watching Scampi fall off and slide sideways back down the hill.

Closely followed by my exploding PBP 2007 bidon at a stop in Cerne Abbas (while I was using it, of course).

H

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2012, 05:59:51 pm »
One of the highlights of this year's episode had to be watching Scampi fall off and slide sideways back down the hill.

Closely followed by my exploding PBP 2007 bidon at a stop in Cerne Abbas (while I was using it, of course).

I found your exploding bidon the more amusing of the two  >:(  ;D
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Hummers

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2012, 06:42:12 pm »
A Wessex SR is one of my 2013 goals.  My entries will be sent in the New Year.

I'm really intruiged by the rides.  Dorset Coast I've done a couple of times and know it is generally easy, but with a couple of tough climbs (but nothing to be overly worried about).  But with 300km Hardboiled kilometres in the legs, it may be a different kettle of fish.  I think back to the 3D 300 (which I suspect may have similar terrain) and recall being ok at the end, but certainly not in the mood for another 200 the following day.

The 300, 400 and 600 are new to me though.  I have visions of overgrown lanes that civilisation rarely touches, with seemingly unfeasible wince inducing ups and panic inducing downs that corrode time buffers as quickly as your brake pads melt away into the dark.  All topped of with a need to navigate with the instincts of a carrier pigeon, whilst having a brain that feels the same size.

I may be wrong; it will be an adventure finding out.

Crikey!  :o

Are you sure you haven't done this series before?

H

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I couldn't have put it better myself.
 :thumbsup:

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
Wow, that description brought back memories, Hillbilly! But its important to also recall that the difficult sections are contained within the overall context of the rides, so that there are always easier sections , where time (and strength) can be re-gained.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »
I have entered the Wessex SR Series already despite one of the events being on my wedding anniversary. Special permission was granted!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2012, 09:38:26 am »

I have visions of overgrown lanes that civilisation rarely touches, with seemingly unfeasible wince inducing ups and panic inducing downs that corrode time buffers as quickly as your brake pads melt away into the dark.  All topped of with a need to navigate with the instincts of a carrier pigeon, whilst having a brain that feels the same size.

Sounds superb! 

I get the impression that these are rides where a comfortable time-in-hand will be wiped out in the blink of an eye - something like the Beer roads on the last leg of K&SW (enter with over an hour in hand, leave with 15 minutes!).

The navigation does sound very challenging - I know there are riders who set off on the perms this year who are still out there.  I guess we ought to think of these rides as much more than a regular ride, more a search party.
Right! What's next?

Pete Mas

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:10:59 am »
We have the advantage of GPX tracks these days.. :) With those, plus the route sheet, I didnt get as lost as perhaps I had anticipated, during this year's series.

R.L.Stevenson

Hummers

« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:25:24 am »

I have visions of overgrown lanes that civilisation rarely touches, with seemingly unfeasible wince inducing ups and panic inducing downs that corrode time buffers as quickly as your brake pads melt away into the dark.  All topped of with a need to navigate with the instincts of a carrier pigeon, whilst having a brain that feels the same size.

Sounds superb! 

I get the impression that these are rides where a comfortable time-in-hand will be wiped out in the blink of an eye - something like the Beer roads on the last leg of K&SW (enter with over an hour in hand, leave with 15 minutes!).

The navigation does sound very challenging - I know there are riders who set off on the perms this year who are still out there.  I guess we ought to think of these rides as much more than a regular ride, more a search party.

From a personal perspective, in order of difficulty, I would say (from the easiest first):

a) The Dorset Coast is a very nice ride in Dorset where there are inevitably some hills. There is only one section where I think it can be considered anywhere close to 'gratuitous' - that is the bit from Bridport to Axminster.

b) The Primrose Path is an early season delight yet you suspect that it has been devised with suffering in mind.

c) The Harboiled gets harder the longer you are on it. The last 100k sits comfortably in the 'gratuitous' bracket

e) The Brimstone has it's moments but you are lost in the changing lanscape and distracted by the countryside around you. I would say the only hard bit is in the section from Beaminster to Exmouth.

f) The Porkers is (in my opinion) - the most challenging of the series and a ride which may redefine your desciption of the word 'gratuitous'. After the first leg to Portland Bill, you will find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about. By Corscombe, you will be wondering if you will reach Winterborne Whitechurch before the cutoff. The last section from Shrewton to Poole is very similar in character to the last leg of the K&SW - just harder. It is a cracking ride.

Regarding route finding, the route card descriptions were spot on last year but I strongly advise (for those unskilled in the world of GPS) you study the route on a map before you undertake the events.

H

Hillbilly

« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:30:49 am »
We have the advantage of GPX tracks these days.. :) With those, plus the route sheet, I didnt get as lost as perhaps I had anticipated, during this year's series.

I hope so.  I am keen to avoid being a real life participant (or should that be recipient) in a Deliverance scenario.

(click to show/hide)

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
.....holding the Wessex SR badge.

;D

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2012, 12:02:05 pm »
I had suspected my bottom would hurt after this little adventure.  I hadn't realised quite why!  :o
Right! What's next?

« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »

a) The Dorset Coast is a very nice ride in Dorset where there are inevitably some hills. There is only one section where I think it can be considered anywhere close to 'gratuitous' - that is the bit from Bridport to Axminster.

b) The Primrose Path is an early season delight yet you suspect that it has been devised with suffering in mind.

c) The Harboiled gets harder the longer you are on it. The last 100k sits comfortably in the 'gratuitous' bracket

e) The Brimstone has it's moments but you are lost in the changing lanscape and distracted by the countryside around you. I would say the only hard bit is in the section from Beaminster to Exmouth.

f) The Porkers is (in my opinion) - the most challenging of the series and a ride which may redefine your desciption of the word 'gratuitous'. After the first leg to Portland Bill, you will find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about. By Corscombe, you will be wondering if you will reach Winterborne Whitechurch before the cutoff. The last section from Shrewton to Poole is very similar in character to the last leg of the K&SW - just harder. It is a cracking ride.

Regarding route finding, the route card descriptions were spot on last year but I strongly advise (for those unskilled in the world of GPS) you study the route on a map before you undertake the events.

H

I think I'd agree with all that, though I've never entered the Primrose Path.

Of the others, the only one I haven't completed is the Porkers. Entered back in 2002; I think I got about 250k round and was feeling pretty good having built up more time in hand than I expected. Then, when morning came, I went majorly off route (no GPS back then, and Shawn Shaw's route sheets are the stuff of legends), ended up massively out of time and was completely knackered by the time I got back on route. I remember really really hating life on a climb somewhere before Blandford Forum, where I packed.

So, all in all, a great day out! I've since heard from many people that Porkers is the hardest of the lot. If I still lived down South, then I'd definitely be in for the whole series, but it's a bit of a long trip now so I may just come down for the Porkers or Brimstone.

I think that GPS should be banned for this series so everyone can have the full on route sheet experience (using the original route sheets) - I lost count of the number of times that riders arrived at Tor Hole recounting stories of navigation woe!  ;)

« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2012, 02:04:05 pm »
One of my funniest moments on the Series was to do with the instructions on the route sheet. I can't remember which year it was or which ride (probably Brimstone) but in the middle of the night I approached a crossroads & coming the other way was Peter Meniecke. We both stopped to chat about how we could have gone wrong (I didn't actually know I was lost but seeing him made me think I was) and in the end agreed to disagree. Anyway he thought we should go one way & I the other so we both went our own ways & lo & behold 15 minutes later we both met at the very same crossroads coming from different directions to previously  ;D More head scratching & once again we parted never to see each other again. I think I got back to Shawn's house with about 30 minutes to spare & as for Peter I have never seen him since. Hope he is alright.

« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2012, 05:31:03 pm »
I think that Hummers is spot on.
Porkers was always my favourite. Not because it was the hardest. But the whole ride is a very nice route. Brimstone has a few sections I'm not overly keen on, but is still a very good 600 and not quite as tough as some make it out to be.

Along with GPS, we now have very good lights. We've gone from Schmidt dyno hubs with halogen bulbs to super bright LEDs.

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 08 December, 2012, 07:51:51 am »
Sadly, I will have to miss the Hardboiled/Dorset Coast weekend this year on account of two old chums turning 50 and inviting us to a birthday bash near Inverness.

The Porkers and Hellfire is in the calendar though.  :thumbsup:

H

Pete Mas

« Reply #20 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:19:28 am »
Re-affirming that I would like to ride as many of these rides again as I can squeeze into my schedule for 2013. However I also said I wanted to ride the SW AUK series, and so I will have to do some serious planning over Christmas!

R.L.Stevenson

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2012, 05:59:27 pm »
Sadly, I will have to miss the Hardboiled/Dorset Coast weekend this year on account of two old chums turning 50 and inviting us to a birthday bash near Inverness.

H

As penance you will have to ride there and back.
Mojo is being awakened.

Hummers

« Reply #22 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:13:11 pm »

H

As penance you will have to ride there and back.

I have suggested to my chum that a ride would be rather nice on the Saturday  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #23 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
Didn't last year's series include the 3D......although I can't find it on the AUK calendar or Perms........

« Reply #24 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »
I mean this year's series....in my head it's May 2013 and I'm already halfway round the Porkers.