Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2191028 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15200 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:04:06 am »
(Not actually today but left to dry overnight) - I made my shoes pretty. :D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15201 on: 03 October, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »
Ooh! Were they already purple or did you paint them? And if so, details please? Another purple obsessive needs to know :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15202 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:00:58 pm »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15203 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:06:16 pm »
Ooh! Were they already purple or did you paint them? And if so, details please? Another purple obsessive needs to know :)

Perhaps from here?

https://www.leatherpaint.co.uk/leather-paint
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15204 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:18:56 pm »
Purple! https://youtu.be/SkkIwO_X4i4

How have I never seen or heard that before?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15205 on: 03 October, 2020, 06:52:35 pm »
Replaced the lost cassette adaptor nut on my trike (with Loctite this time), so I can ride it again.

Cleaned, lubed and tensioned the chain on my fixed. Also cleaned the rims and brake pads, tweaked the rear mudguard and handlebar positions and recharged some battery lights. Ready for next week after some wet commutes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15206 on: 03 October, 2020, 06:57:36 pm »
Nothing. My plan of priming the door frame was scuppered by the useless masking tape from B and Q which resolutely failed to actually stick to anything. Some Bad Swears were used.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15207 on: 04 October, 2020, 07:26:47 am »

Perhaps from here?

You got it! Angelus Paint is the brand:

https://www.leatherpaint.co.uk/angelus-pearlescent-prince-lila

It looks nicer in the flesh than in photos, and I may just have to paint all my shoes purple now... ;D

« Reply #15208 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:31:37 pm »
In the middle of fettling a TRP Spyre cable disc brake caliper. Stopped for half an hour for a cuppa.

Cunning wee beastie. Three ball bearings on either side of the caliper in part circumferential grooves which have a tapered depth. As the plate on which they sit is rotated by the cable pull the balls' grooves become shallower thereby pushing the plate out.

Insides need some (a lot) of TLC.

Fiddly as hell (and handed). Re-assembly will be fun. Still, at £43 a pop for a replacement I'm very happy sitting in the garage for the afternoon making it work again.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15209 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:43:40 pm »

Perhaps from here?

You got it! Angelus Paint is the brand:

https://www.leatherpaint.co.uk/angelus-pearlescent-prince-lila

It looks nicer in the flesh than in photos, and I may just have to paint all my shoes purple now... ;D

Will be interested to hear how it lasts :)
Maybe if nothing else I could paint over the pink bits on my Lake shoes...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15210 on: 05 October, 2020, 09:27:58 am »

You don't move in suitably disreputable circles? ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15211 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:25:42 pm »
Noticed some unusual readings from the pi monitoring the solar thermal system in Mrs Tween's studio last week, 118ºC at the panel hot side :o  Pumps not a-pumping.  A bit of prodding & poking with the multimeter revealed zero volts to the panel circulation pump.  Disconnect the pump & a healthy number of voles were present at the output terminals of the controller.  Dead controller then.  Or to be more precise, dead whatever inside the controller drives the pump output.
Whatever was not hard to spot, a large triac.  5 replacements ordered from RS arrived today and one has been fitted.  Not the easiest job it being a D2PAK.  A combination of a good, if small, iron turned up to 11 plus a Portasol in hot air mode got the job done.  I'm sure I went way, way over the thermal time limit but unlikely I reached the tmax.  Whatever, it survived the process and is working.  £18 with 4 spares in the component drawers instead of £140 for a new controller.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15212 on: 07 October, 2020, 02:15:08 pm »
I showed my Black and Decker Workmate the first love it's had in 29 years, by fitting new wooden jaws and oiling the joints.

I have also ordered a piece of offcut planed mahogany so I can bolt my bench vice to it and use it in the Workmate.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15213 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:53:52 pm »
Fitted a new mudflap to match my repainted trike, fitted the old trike mudflap to the front of my fixed while the old front flap replaced the rear flap.

Replaced the spare tube used to fix yesterday’s rear flat in my fixed’s tool bottle. The roofing nail was an inch long!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15214 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:11:50 pm »
Mudguards & dynamo wheel onto Trek for the winter. :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15215 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »

It has been featured in these hallowed disreputable pages before. Anyways, it's almost the anti-lockdown of songs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15216 on: 08 October, 2020, 03:01:58 pm »

It has been featured in these hallowed disreputable pages before. Anyways, it's almost the anti-lockdown of songs.

Oh, I dunno. American Wedding is a bit... looser.

https://youtu.be/aPfeOAhDfbM

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15217 on: 08 October, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »
True that a wedding which doesn't last three days is merely getting married.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15218 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:32:16 am »
I have also ordered a piece of offcut planed mahogany so I can bolt my bench vice to it and use it in the Workmate.

Ooh, where from? I've been meaning to do similar for ages - though I suppose a couple of thicknesses of the scrap plywood I've got kicking around would do as good a job.

In other fettling, filed down the crown spacers and washers on the front centre pull so there was enough room to get a light bracket in; I now have working dyno lighting. The IQ-XS is pretty good; now I just need to get some cable guides or whatever to tidy up the wiring, and bodge some kind of support bracket to fit the 80mm spacing rear light onto the single-hole rear rack mount.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15219 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:40:53 am »

Ooh, where from? I've been meaning to do similar for ages - though I suppose a couple of thicknesses of the scrap plywood I've got kicking around would do as good a job.

In other fettling, filed down the crown spacers and washers on the front centre pull so there was enough room to get a light bracket in; I now have working dyno lighting. The IQ-XS is pretty good; now I just need to get some cable guides or whatever to tidy up the wiring, and bodge some kind of support bracket to fit the 80mm spacing rear light onto the single-hole rear rack mount.
Lots of eBay sellers do offcuts.  I've actually had a change of plan and now need a wider piece so I can mount the vice sideways to the Workmate jaws, so have ordered a squarer piece of beech.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15220 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
All done now.  One of the M8 coach screws sheared when tightening (monkey metal!) despite drilling a 6mm pilot hole, so that had to be wound out with pliers and replaced.

This is a little 2.5" vice but the technique would work for a much bigger one if you used two pieces of wood fixed together - a top piece to sit on the Workmate to take all the weight, and a "tongue" underneath to be gripped.  You probably still couldn't use it to unscrew freewheels or stuck BBs, as the Workmate could give up first.  I had about 500Nm on a stuck BB once, and it still didn't move.  It did strip the splines from a Shimano tool!

« Reply #15221 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:44:24 am »
When my somewhat ancient Wickes own brand cheap workmate-alike gave up the ghost due to the not-proper-wood top failing, I bought a new one and made my old one into a vice/heavy duty work top. I bought a scaff board as a cheap bit of strong wood (cost about a tenner from B&Q), chopped it in half, and used that to replace the two original clamping pieces of wood. I then clamped them tightly together with the workmate winding mechanism, and screwed batons in underneath to hold them that way. It is now a big, heavy, portable worktop, with a top surface much bigger than the original and effectively a single piece. On to one corner of that top I bolted a Record 4 inch vice. It's a bit of a lump to carry around, but very useful having a pretty stable portable vice. I've used that bench a lot in the last year, for all manner of metalworking and welding jobs, plus using the vice to hold things whilst I apply big torque.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15222 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:57:01 am »
A beneficial side-effect of having a smallish vice bolted to a flat piece of wood is that it can more easily sit on the kitchen table for things like rebuilding pedals and hubs using axle vice jaws.  Nothing involving grease and ball bearings works well outdoors or in a dusty cold garage.

« Reply #15223 on: 10 October, 2020, 12:30:27 pm »
Absolutely. I could do with making something a bit lighter and less heavy duty for general fettling that would also give a protective surface to avoid hard stares when I've put another soldering burn on the dining room table.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15224 on: 10 October, 2020, 01:01:45 pm »
All done now.  One of the M8 coach screws sheared when tightening (monkey metal!) despite drilling a 6mm pilot hole, so that had to be wound out with pliers and replaced.

This is a little 2.5" vice but the technique would work for a much bigger one if you used two pieces of wood fixed together - a top piece to sit on the Workmate to take all the weight, and a "tongue" underneath to be gripped.  You probably still couldn't use it to unscrew freewheels or stuck BBs, as the Workmate could give up first.  I had about 500Nm on a stuck BB once, and it still didn't move.  It did strip the splines from a Shimano tool!

The concept of the "platform and tongue" works well for tools that would normally be bench mounted but where space is at a premium - I have a grinder with two different wheels, a polisher with a brass brush and cotton mop, and a small "bobbin" sander mounted on platforms - I have a BIG engineers vice bolted to a steel bench and just clamp the appropriate machine in for use.   

The other workshop idea that's useful is to mount as much as possible on casters - even my Park Tool Pro workstand is on a wheeled platform with locking wheels - other woodwork machinery also on trucks can be moved around/stored easily.