Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2190996 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2225 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:08:02 am »
Swapped wheel with broken cassette with wheel with complete cassette.  Pumped tyre and went to work.  Noticed that mysterious creak from BB area has disappeared, now I will never find out what caused it.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2226 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:02:19 am »
I have delegated a" reproof-a-Barbour-baseball-cap" fettling session.
That's a" fettle via management "  skill ;D

« Reply #2227 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:06:33 am »
Swapped the Cyo onto the audax bike ready for that 'get home in the dark' moment this evening.

Bloody rear light aint working   :(

Now sorted   :thumbsup:

Clandy

« Reply #2228 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:37:00 pm »
Fitted full SPDs to the Moulton, put the double-sided SPDs from the Moulton on the Dawes.

Ps. SJS Cycles have a real bargain on SPDs at the moment...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2229 on: 21 September, 2010, 01:29:18 pm »
Replaced the pawls in my Centaur hub.

5 years' use had deepened groove in each pawl and they were not poking out very much, resulting in an alarmingly quiet Campag freewheel - almost silent in fact.

New and old:

It is now reassuringly deafening.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2230 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:58:39 pm »
I have purchased a kitchen from B&Q to be built this Thursday and Friday (with a professional joiner to do the worktops. Today's actual fettling has been limited to swapping old plastic light switches for shiny new brass ones.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2231 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:17:40 pm »
Nowt.  But I did take my bike to the LBS who apparently tightened her cones and her disk rotor centrelock on the front wheel.  Since I wouldn't know where to start, it seems like a good plan to delegate - I was quite pleased to have worked out where the problem was, even if I didn't know how to fix it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2232 on: 21 September, 2010, 06:17:49 pm »
Finally got round to fitting the new chain(s) to the Streetmachine.

Obviously this involved giving the chainrings, dérailleurs, cassette and so on a good clean.  While I was at it I thought "Hmm, if I thread a bit of string down the chain tubes, I can pull some tissue soaked in degreaser through them and clean off the worst of the grime".  This worked surprisingly well, but I was baffled by the sheer quantity of hair that came out.  I mean, seriously, wtf?  I can imagine the odd hair getting snagged while fettling, but it was like I'd just unblocked a Dyson or something.   ???

Anyway, that done, I joined and measured the new chains, and put it all together.  Then took it off again because I'd got caught up in untangling the chain and forgotten to thread it through the front mech.  But everyone makes those sort of mistakes.  It's a tradition, an old charter, or something.

Sorted now, though.  Next mission: headset.

« Reply #2233 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »
Heard a clunk on the way home on the TCR and then my front dérailleur started to rub and not shift correctly.
Whilst fettling I heard a louder crack.
I have now obviously split the front dérailleur braze on mount.

I think I'll try and get a yellow / gold one as a replacement.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2234 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »
Fitted mudguards and refitted pedals to my Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate - ready to ride the refurbished beast .... this is the MASSIVE 28" frame machine that I bought in a moment of weakness.

It's been powder coated and lacquered in purple - looks spectacular!   (As the powder coat man said ... the colour is the same as Subaru drivers have when they get their car wheels refinished ... )

Rob

« Reply #2235 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »
Schmidt onto Etape.  Supernova E3 front and rear onto Etape too.

* sigh *

A couple of weeks ago, it was the Swallows gathering on the wires. Now this.

The unmistakable signs of oncoming winter. Migration, and Grub fettling for the winter commute :(.

Well a mate at work is taking the plunge and going the dynamo hub route for the darker months and he was wondering which mounts I use.  So I thought it was nearly time to fit them anyway and with the rain on Thursday I thought it would not hurt to be more obvious.
Now I've broken the TCR I will be able to ride it in a day earlier for him to see.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2236 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:49:37 pm »
Next mission: headset.

The postie was in banging-on-the-door rather than ninja mode this morning, and came bearing the replacement headest.

First thing on the fettling agenda was of course the doorbell, which had drained its batteries.

That done, I set about with the greasy hammery contortions that replacing a headset on a recumbent while disconnecting the bare minimum of cabling from the fork involves.  Took a while, as I was being extra-careful, but there weren't any disasters.  Was bloody glad I'd had the sense to invest in a bag of spacers along with the headset, as, predictably, the stack height wasn't quite the same as the old one.

That's all back together now, and I'm going for a test ride just as soon as my spine recovers from all that sitting on the floor.

« Reply #2237 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:56:23 pm »
My usual trick is discovering that I've managed to reassemble with a cable on the opposite side of the frame/forks than the old set-up, and having to decide whether  it's easier to take the cable off or the forks to sort it out.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2238 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »
I now have magic double Dura-Ace shifters working on my (triple) Sequoia!

The rest of the bike is 105, but seeing as I'd bust the front shifter and I had a spare set of Dura-Ace sitting on my shelves doing nothing*, I decided to fit them.

All the gears work fine on the big chain ring, and then when I drop onto the middle chain ring, the top 8 gears are OK, and once I move onto the second largest sprocket at the back, it automatically drops on to the inner chain ring, for a bit of instant "go really slow" cycling.  I went out for a little 5 mile ride going up hills and was constantly changing gears with a big grin on my face.

* What do you mean, not everyone has such items lying around..........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Zoidburg

« Reply #2239 on: 23 September, 2010, 02:42:23 am »
Needed a case/sock thingy for my minty Nokia 6500

A nintendo DS game card case was the exact right dimensions down to the mm so I spent all of a quid in the plastic crap shop known as pound land.

5 minutes with a craft knife to remove all the unwanted card holding gubbins inside it and hey presto a scratch free phone.

« Reply #2240 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:58:03 pm »
Ps. SJS Cycles have a real bargain on SPDs at the moment...

...and rather bizarrely a pair of SM-SH51 cleats also costs £17-99.  So, set of cleats or set of pedals with cleats. ???

(...although I prefer SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats, which are only £15-99).

... Then took it off again because I'd got caught up in untangling the chain and forgotten to thread it through the front mech.  But everyone makes those sort of mistakes.  It's a tradition, an old charter, or something.

Even more amusing with recumbents, you can put the chain back on such that you need to pedal backwards to go forwards.  Been there, done that. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

robbo6

« Reply #2241 on: 23 September, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »
Put a new Izumi NP chain on Mme. BB's Orion.
She was coveting my CP Brampton chain, which never made it to production.

« Reply #2242 on: 23 September, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »
What haven't I fettled yet today? The loose front axle nut (Pitlock) that I only noticed at the end of my commute when locking up my bike. Thank heavens for lawyer lips1.

1. Unlike some I don't gnash and wail at the idea of them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

gordon taylor

« Reply #2243 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »
I swapped a disc hub for a disc dynohub, using shorter spokes, of course.  However, they had previously been laced into a snowflake wheel, so were all bent to hell.

The thing now seems to have a pringle-mind of its own, so I've tightened everything up and left it to "settle" overnight.  ::-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2244 on: 25 September, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »
Short version: dismantled my SRAM 3spd rear Brompton wheel for cleaning, and in doing so, broke a small but vital component, rendering the wheel useless.  :facepalm:

Longer version.

Note to self: in future, don't play with bike parts you don't understand just a few days before said bike parts are due to be pressed into service in a race.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2245 on: 26 September, 2010, 07:20:19 am »
I haz fettled the garage, so we now have:

A rack for hanging 4 bikes on, along with 4 hooks for other stuffs
A mirror, with hooks for hanging up helemts and bags.

Chucked loads to stuffs out, so we can actually get into the garage now :)

Hmmmmm, wonder if I could get away with n+1 now
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

gordon taylor

« Reply #2246 on: 26 September, 2010, 11:36:01 am »
I fitted a new set of mudguards to a bike with lots of clearance but disc brakes in the way F&R.

Jesus. What a job.  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2247 on: 26 September, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
I'm trying to fettle the 3-speed-with-backpedal-brake Sachs Torpedo hub on Mrs Cudzo's Funny Blue Bike. I've had a look at some diagrams on Sheldon's site, and my mind is boggling.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2248 on: 26 September, 2010, 04:12:09 pm »
I have removed the bike carrier and the 8-ball gearknob from the kaput kamper prior to its visit to the flenderizer.   :'(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2249 on: 26 September, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »
Refitted the original Scott sub20 bars, stem, levers, pedals, saddle and donated the bike to daughter's partner.  Makes room for my new Trek 7.5fx, solves SWMBO's aversion to n+1 and gets SWMBO a free session at the hair salon.