Author Topic: Best BSO for 5 yo ?  (Read 960 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Best BSO for 5 yo ?
« on: 13 May, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »
Grandchildren are in need of new BSO's 2 lads around 5yo, room to grow, no idea of budget,  but not isla bikes budget. Not a cycling family btw, current small one has 12"  wheels.   Whats the best of the bunch , or are they all just bso's, lightest weight would be good obviously.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Best BSO for 5 yo ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2019, 07:01:24 pm »
Ridgeback  MX16 @ £124 , is 8.8kg heavy or light for a small bike?  6.6kg ones are around £170

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:05:08 pm »
I would suggest that at 5 yo you should look at 20" wheel depending on child's height to allow for growth - Ridgeback is a good brand, like Islabike if they're looked after they command a good s/h price.

Also have a look at Roux and Land Rover kids bikes in the new lighterweight ranges - can't remember the model names off-hand - if you PM I may be able to help ;-)

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2019, 02:09:48 am »
Once my boys were past balance bikes I've always got their bikes from a bike recycling project (BikeforGood here in Glasgow) typically £30 or £40 for a refubished bike. Sometimes need to pop in a few times to get smaller wheel sizes, but always got something. Made more sense to me when they're growing fast and don't need to worry so much about the financial hit, or if they get knicked, dropped etc.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2019, 06:30:10 am »
At 5 they could be in the difficult position of being too big for 16" wheel and a tad small for 20" I'm sure there is variance in 5hr size of bike from different manufacturers so be worth trying a few.

Ridegback as already mentioned is a good option if can be found at a good price. I fear a lot of the bikes are fashion over function at that age.... Although the dirt bike ones look cool

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:49:32 am »
I think my son went on to a 24" wheel bike at 6/7.  he jumped straight from the 16" but a 20" from 5 would have been a better bet.  Islabikes have bigger wheels to frame size though, so smaller kids get onto bikes with larger wheels.  My son's Cnoc 16 will go through all three of myi kids and then be sold for probably 70%+ of the new price (judging from ebay) so will have cost very little.
Other option is to get a second hand BMX, because they will enjoy that and when they outgrow it it will be okay because all BMXs are too small.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:07:41 pm »
www.probikecycles.com has a handy size guide on the home page, based on inside leg measurement. i've never had any complaints.

A word of warning. Every Xmas I get mail order bikes to build up that have been bought elsewhere. A lot of the time parents buy a BMX for a 7 yr old, which he can't ride because the bike is too long. Might be able to reach the floor but can't reach the bars. Unscrupulous dealers sell on seat height alone and refuse to change them...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.