Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420828 times)

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1350 on: 01 April, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »
Oh yes see what you mean now, could have saved myself a waffle then.

I think they know that DPCC do TTs, but what they (and I) did not know is that non DPCC can enter some of them (is it correct that as long you pay a pound extra, you don't have to be a DPCC). Your post on facebook might have just changed all of that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1351 on: 01 April, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »
But there's no point in complaining that you went along to Chelsea and they looked funny at you when you stood their in old trainers and asked if you could have a kick about. You probably couldn't even do that with the first team of your local club.
The beauty of the time-trial is that it's nothing like trying to play football with Pelé : it doesn't matter if the winner takes half the time of the slowest  :thumbsup:

( Admittedly it is wise to send the slower riders off first, but that's just admin. Look at the results of the National 24s - it simply isn't a problem. )

Wiggo would be just as welcome at our races as EMNut - and neither would cause any problem if their speed was radically different from the regulars.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #1352 on: 01 April, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »
I'd agree about the cycling clubs being different, we have 2 here and they are very different...
One loves carbon flashy new kit stuff, has a codebook with rules, always ride specific routes that never change, and call each other buddy and all that type stuff
The other one, is chaotic, disorganised, does not give a monkeys about kit, finishes rides at the pub, and is held together with
string and sellatape, and was called a bunch of complete amateurs. by the one above.
They do tend to appeal to different people, and the best thing to do is join more than one

« Reply #1353 on: 01 April, 2014, 01:37:55 pm »
The beauty of the time-trial is that it's nothing like trying to play football with Pelé : it doesn't matter if the winner takes half the time of the slowest  :thumbsup:
The beauty of the time trial is that, being the slowest, I get twice the riding-time value for my £2 that the winner does :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1354 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:02:36 pm »
The beauty of the time trial is that, being the slowest, I get twice the riding-time value for my £2 that the winner does :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Amen to that!

(I must check if there is a min speed for CTT events ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1355 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »
Long Hanborough is not a million miles from Abingdon. Which club do that TT? Actually more to the point is there a good website for finding what is on locally. I'm hoping to do a few more with the family
Oranj is with Club Orange: http://www.ocrc.co.uk/timetrials/TTProgram.asp

I think that lists all the 3xOxford Club events. You're only really in range of those + DPCC

To get a full/nationwide list, either buy a CTT handbook or use the CTT's online calendar thingie (which makes the AUKweb one look user-friendly!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1356 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
CTT online calendar - just had a look at it, found some of the TTs I often see going up and down the A38, and one of them (U17) contains this gem of a description. "The finish is at the second drain cover past Catherine Villa (white house next to garage) " I love the idea of marshalls and riders counting drain covers!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1357 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »
CTT online calendar - just had a look at it, found some of the TTs I often see going up and down the A38, and one of them (U17) contains this gem of a description. "The finish is at the second drain cover past Catherine Villa (white house next to garage) " I love the idea of marshalls and riders counting drain covers!

That's my first event as organiser this year - unfortunately due to the arcane CTT rules, you're too late to enter for this Saturday ;)

I've got all blinged up this year with pointy hat, carbon tri-spoke wheels and even a skin suit. Makes one hell of a difference, I've been averaging ~23mph on the early season hilly events so can't wait to get a bit more fitness and try some flatter TT's in the more traditional sense.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1358 on: 01 April, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »
CTT online calendar -
It sounds as if you are looking at "open" events, typically £9 to enter with restrictions by closing date, affiliated club membership etc.  For a beginner or an experiment I think you should look at "club" events usually listed on your local club websites.  You will probably be permitted to ride as a guest, these are typically £2 which is mainly the CTT levy.

Before entering a TT, please read the rules on the CTT website.  When you sign the from you are signing to say that you have read and understood these rules.  I frequently have to tell people in club events that their number is in the wrong place (what good is it between your shoulder blades?) and I have seen people refused a ride in an open because they show up wearing trade team clothing.  I also remember a parent going berserk because little Johnny had gone off course in a club event.  Open events will be adequately marshalled but club events will probably not - the onus is on the rider to know the course.

« Reply #1359 on: 01 April, 2014, 04:00:51 pm »
" I love the idea of marshalls and riders counting drain covers!

Finish Timekeeper needs to know the exact finish point so they can put the chequered flag out for riders to see and have a definitive point to stop the watch.  Good course measurement!

« Reply #1360 on: 01 April, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »
Until someone renames his/her house ;D

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #1361 on: 01 April, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Its too late now, but would be nice to tag in a TT to Abingdon Spring Cycle festival. If there was an event that sunday, we could get people to sign up, and ride with them to the event, and bring them back, it would not need specifically for the festival, but just be tagged on as an 'event'. Might be a good intro. The Oxford Cycling is (yawn) a Sportif, so a TT could be a fab element in the mix.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1362 on: 01 April, 2014, 06:04:33 pm »

That's my first event as organiser this year - unfortunately due to the arcane CTT rules, you're too late to enter for this Saturday ;)
I think it was actually a different event on the same course I was looking at, but good luck with your organising!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1363 on: 01 April, 2014, 07:55:53 pm »
Just ridden an extinct course (supposed to be a group-riding session, but I was a bit mis-matched so that didn't last very long!).

11 miles in about 31:30. With a few (very short) rises (well, bridges in fact). Road-bike no aero stuff. That'll do for early April, after a weekend of 150 welsh mountain miles. Glad I went out, nice to get a stake in the sand, and I've felt very lethargic the last 48 hours  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1364 on: 01 April, 2014, 09:48:41 pm »
In one club's sporting 10 series that I rode, there was a rider on a hand-cycle. Pretty respectable times too. Those hills must have hurt...
I was reminded, while riding home from our first club 10 of the season tonight - we've also had members racing each other on Bromptons ;D

« Reply #1365 on: 08 April, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »
I've now put my name down to enter a 100 mile TT in late May - but as mentioned below, I will do some of the Westerley CC Hillingdon TTs on Wednesday nights as those kick off soon.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow, Marcus! 

In case anyone else in the vicinity of West London fancies it, our fortnightly evening TTs at Hillingdon circuit start tomorrow (Wednesday 9 April).  The weather forecast looks pretty good for the first one and there are spaces left.

In addition to the main series, we're trying something new this year, which is three time trials for road bikes only.  They are on 4 June, 29 June and 16 July - with men's and women's prizes for each one.  All are 11 laps of the circuit which works out to about 10.35 miles.

Full details are here:
www.westerley-cycling.org.uk/racing/time-trials/hillingdon-evening-time-trial-series-2013

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1366 on: 09 April, 2014, 12:03:30 am »
That's what I like about them too - although I've only ever done club 10s, not opens.

It's just simple, unpretentious racing. Turn up on anything, give them four quid, roll to the start, and turn yourself inside out for ten miles. Nobody seems to care that I'm slow, or that I turned up on a cx/touring bike (I did take the rack off). Then get your time, come back next week and try to beat it.
Do people do TTs with mudguards and saddlebags? I sometimes fancy having a go at a short, local one - I fully expect the timekeeper to have gone home before I finish - but can't be arsed to take all that stuff off my bike.

Yes, but typically just the boxing day TT where there is a penalty of 1min for every bit of aero kit and 30 sec for no mudguards . (Nobody tells you this, the timekeepers just make it up on the day to their own rules). The former scottish champ rocks up and rides with saddlebag, mudguards and usually just a bobble hat on his head.

Ride what you want - there are 'official' rules but they are treated more like guidelines unless you are looking like setting a course record or a youth and needing your gears measured. (OK, the last TT I organised I refused to do the gear check. It was a hill climb and I suggested that if they could do the ride in a non-legal gear then good on them )
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1367 on: 09 April, 2014, 01:05:16 am »
I've now put my name down to enter a 100 mile TT in late May - but as mentioned below, I will do some of the Westerley CC Hillingdon TTs on Wednesday nights as those kick off soon.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow, Marcus! 

In case anyone else in the vicinity of West London fancies it, our fortnightly evening TTs at Hillingdon circuit start tomorrow (Wednesday 9 April).  The weather forecast looks pretty good for the first one and there are spaces left.

In addition to the main series, we're trying something new this year, which is three time trials for road bikes only.  They are on 4 June, 29 June and 26 July - with men's and women's prizes for each one.  All are 11 laps of the circuit which works out to about 10.35 miles.

Full details are here:
www.westerley-cycling.org.uk/racing/time-trials/hillingdon-evening-time-trial-series-2013

I am out of the country this week, but hope to be available for the next one!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1368 on: 09 April, 2014, 01:35:07 am »
... if she lets you!     ;)

<many congrats BTW - I couldn't bring myself to post on Arsebook, despite the lovely piccies!>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1369 on: 09 April, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »
Thanks Matt! Round 2, the American wedding, coming up this weekend.

Back on topic - the Richmond park TTs are now open for entry - a great event that has aero and road bike categories - dates don't work for me this year, but they are a lot of fun (and no cars etc.) and a good intro to TT in my very limited experience. Not a flat course mind - it is a long old slog up sawyers and then back up from ham gate to richmond gate.

http://www.riderhq.com/events/67526/richmond-park-tt-1/enter

http://www.riderhq.com/events/67527/richmond-park-tt-2/enter

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1370 on: 09 April, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »
Thanks Matt! Round 2, the American wedding, coming up this weekend.

Back on topic - the Richmond park TTs are now open for entry - a great event that has aero and road bike categories - dates don't work for me this year, but they are a lot of fun (and no cars etc.) and a good intro to TT in my very limited experience. Not a flat course mind - it is a long old slog up sawyers and then back up from ham gate to richmond gate.

http://www.riderhq.com/events/67526/richmond-park-tt-1/enter

http://www.riderhq.com/events/67527/richmond-park-tt-2/enter

I would sem to have entered on the 22nd of June! Never done anything like this before...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1371 on: 16 April, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »
I've just picked up my club 100 mile cup from last year (yes, I know it's next spring already).  The club record isn't 3:50:20 like I thought it was: it's 3:33:56. Strangely enough I think I went to the club dinner that year, but I must have not registered when it got presented.

Somebody give me a break  :facepalm:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1372 on: 24 April, 2014, 10:41:07 pm »
My first TT as a commissaire tonight. I had been hand-holding the organiser as this was the first event his club (a relatively new club) had organised. Went down very well, loads of folk helping out and no problems.

My club TT on Tuesday as our test event on a new and very different course.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1373 on: 30 April, 2014, 08:01:04 am »
Last weekend brought my (very) last BUCS event: the 25 on the H25/17 near Oxford.  My work affiliation to KCL is just about strong enough to let me ride BUCS for this year only; I was hoping to go out on a high, especially after the disaster that was the hillclimb.

Well, it wasn't perfect but ... I did it. My ride and my prep could both have been better but I did 58.29 to place 39/102nd male on a windy day, and grab myself a 14 second PB in the process. I think I can leave student sport with my head held high after that.

« Reply #1374 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:50:02 am »
Last weekend brought my (very) last BUCS event: the 25 on the H25/17 near Oxford.  My work affiliation to KCL is just about strong enough to let me ride BUCS for this year only; I was hoping to go out on a high, especially after the disaster that was the hillclimb.

Well, it wasn't perfect but ... I did it. My ride and my prep could both have been better but I did 58.29 to place 39/102nd male on a windy day, and grab myself a 14 second PB in the process. I think I can leave student sport with my head held high after that.

Very good ride early in the season on a fairly hilly and often exposed course. 
And only 4 seconds outside my 25 PB  ;)   I expect you'll go a lot faster than that soon!